Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old March 15, 2018   #16
sirtanon
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by JosephineRose View Post
I am doing Kellogg's Breakfast vs KBX and Black Krim vs BKX.
Wait... there's a BKX? I knew there was a KBX.. but never knew about a BKX. Potato leaf sport of Black Krim?
Old March 15, 2018   #17
JosephineRose
Tomatovillian™

Yes, I'm trying it for the first time this year.

I attempted last year but didn't make it - russet mite wiped out everything in ground.
JosephineRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15, 2018   #18
creeker
Tomatovillian™

BKX is a potato leafed version of Blqck Krim. Seeds available from Secret Seed Cartel, for one, maybe others. I am trying it myself this year. SSC has some interesting varieties.
creeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28, 2018   #19
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

UP
Keeping the thread açtive, with a question.
GERMAN JOHNSON
How do you compare it to other varieties in its class?
The reason I am asking is that i picked one GJ at Lowes. Heard the name a lot but don,t remember any details.
So now i have 2 varietied with GERMAN in the name , German Queen German Johnson.

Happy Gardening !
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28, 2018   #20
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

You compare them any way you wish. German Johnson vs. German Queen would be a good versus pair as they are both pink beefsteaks 1-2 lbs. Why not compare them for taste, productivity, disease resistance, etc.

Nan

Nan
Nan_PA_6b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28, 2018   #21
sirtanon
Tomatovillian™

I'm not growing any of these, and don't currently have room to grow them, nor do I expect to at any time this year, but I would love to see a side-by-side comparison of:

Big Boy vs Better Boy vs Best Boy vs Super Boy vs Brandy Boy (vs any other boys I can't think of)...

..if for no other reason than they all end in boy and I think it would be fun.

I think a similar thing could be done with all the various "girl tomatoes" too.
Old March 28, 2018   #22
nyrfan
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirtanon View Post
vs any other boys I can't think of
Lemon Boy, Sunny Boy & Jersey Boy are 3 more.
nyrfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28, 2018   #23
AKmark
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Wait... there's a BKX? I knew there was a KBX.. but never knew about a BKX. Potato leaf sport of Black Krim?
Yes, it tastes the same.
I crossed a PL Early Girl with one and have been stabilizing the cross. They are good, nice shaped large red beefsteaks that are fairly early.
AKmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29, 2018   #24
JLJ_
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerShawn View Post
Brandywine Sudduth's Strain vs. Brandywine Cowlicks vs. Brandywine from Croatia vs. Brandywine Liam's.
Are there any more "Brandywines" to compare?
(I have stopped growing basic Brandywine Pinks, though they were fine tomatoes.)

Shawn
There is Joyce's Brandywine -- slightly earlier (perhaps a week) -- reportedly Chuck Wyatt selection from Sudduth.
JLJ_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6, 2018   #25
CamuMahubah
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
I'm not growing any of these, and don't currently have room to grow them, nor do I expect to at any time this year, but I would love to see a side-by-side comparison of:

Big Boy vs Better Boy vs Best Boy vs Super Boy vs Brandy Boy (vs any other boys I can't think of)...

I'd put my coin on Big Beef beating all of the boys. Even Brandy Boy if it tastes like a Brandywine. This year is gonna be the first year I won't have any Big Beef and I'm starting to think maybe I should squeeze in one or two just to keep as a couple comparison.

I grew Big Boy and Better Boy and Whopper two years ago and I ranked the Whopper as better than either of the boys. Whopper was very good but Big Beef still took it down in taste tests.

I do agree though that a King of the Boys mater match would be cool. I still think if anyone of them could match BgBf's mildly acidic rich tomatoey taste they'd be talked about as much as BgBf is. Something about the after taste of Big Beef reminds me that I just had a wonderful fruit. Something none of the boys can do. .

I think Burpee messed up with Steak Sandwich. That's a dang good one that I personally believe should have been given a better name with "boy" in it! When I grew it the fruit was a bright pink with beautiful red insides. That was a good tomato that rivaled Big Beef. I never compared it to bgbf that year because I grew it as a hamburger topping and i only realized how good it was when I ate the last few sliced with salt. I need to grow that one again.

Alas I am done with commercial hybrids. Too many heirlooms to try and my neighbor grows Whopper exclusively and she gives me tons of them if she catches me out in my yard.

I like the idea of sorta kinda developing my own landracers and generous peeps here have sent me some really good stabilized hybrids and open pollinated seeds.

So at my place it's gonna be Joseph's Landracers vs destiny!
CamuMahubah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10, 2018   #26
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

I've got a couple this year:

Brandywine Sudduth's vs Brandywine Cowlick's
Black Krim vs Noire de Crimee (tried last year but my NDC was off type last year)
jmsieglaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10, 2018   #27
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

Quote:

Yes - I tried it some years ago, impressed to try all members of the 'Black Krim' clan.

Not impressive, it was late and also stingy .. Compared to the RP BK or the Noire de Crimee, it was nothing special.
NarnianGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10, 2018   #28
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmsieglaff View Post
I've got a couple this year:

Brandywine Sudduth's vs Brandywine Cowlick's
Black Krim vs Noire de Crimee (tried last year but my NDC was off type last year)
I have compared Brandywine Sudduth's with Brandywine Cowlick's for years and there isn't a whole lot of difference. For me the Cowlick's is a bit better for my growing conditions because it sets better in high temperatures than does Sudduth's. Also I have had less splitting on the bottom of big fruits with Cowlcik's; but overall Sudduth's seems to have more of those very large fruits. Usually they both make between 20 and 35 fruits per plant and some years one will do better than the other; but most years they are so similar there is little to no difference in any noticeable way.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10, 2018   #29
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nan_PA_6b View Post
You compare them any way you wish. German Johnson vs. German Queen would be a good versus pair as they are both pink beefsteaks 1-2 lbs. Why not compare them for taste, productivity, disease resistance, etc.

Nan

Nan
I have never grown German Queen but I have been growing the pl version of German Johnson for years and rarely do I get any fruit over one pound. Of course it gets really hot really early down here and that definitely affects the size of all varieties. I did get some nice big ones off GJ the first year or two I grew it but they quickly died from fusarium wilt. Since then I have been grafting it and haven't gotten as large a fruits. No matter to me as it keeps on making now and the taste of German Johnson is always one of my favs.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10, 2018   #30
creeker
Tomatovillian™

Quote:

I'm growing Brandy Boy, Big Beef, Better Boy, and Big Brandy and repeating that sequence 4 times in one row to eliminate or lessen influences of any differences in soil, water availability, disease or insect pressure. All these varieties are new to me. It won't be real scientific but will plan to report back my impressions of yield, flavor and other things. I,m sure heat and resistance to scalding sun will be a factor. We've already had a few days over 90 degrees but only 85 today cause the wind's comin' again.
creeker is offline   Reply With Quote