Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old September 16, 2014   #61
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mashman View Post
==================================================

This will be a "must grow" each year for us as well. Not sure who Joe is but he bred a heck of a Pink Oxheart.

Michael
I thought I'd given the link to this variety earlier in the thread, but if not, here it is again.

http://t.tatianastomatobase.com:88/w...b=General_Info

Nope, Joe didn't breed this variety, see the above link.

I got seeds from Margie and offered it in my seed offer here and then sent seeds to Fred Hempel and he liked it so much that he started this thread and in the thread folks were also encouraged to go to Margie's website and buy seeds and many did.

It looks like it's doing well for everyone.

I was surprised to see in Tania's link that there are no commercial seed sources listed, Sandhill may be but Linda didn't get their list to Tania in time, so check there as well. I think I still have some seeds around, or if any of you want to send me some fresher ones, I can send them out for trial to several places where I know the owners well and have for many years.

But I'm sure Margie will still be offering it as well, and it would be a nice thank you gesture to buy from her and she usually has many other interesting listings as well.the link to her website is in the above link.

Just PM me if you have fresh seeds to share,

Thanks,

Carolyn
Old July 31, 2016   #62
Christa B.
Tomatovillian™

I am growing this variety this year. One ripened up and I gave it to my mother in law. My chickens ate one that was almost ripe (looked to be the biggest one I had) and I just picked 2 that are starting to get ripe so the chickens couldn't get them before I do. My husband is outside taking care of the chicken situation as we speak, making sure they can't get out of their chicken yard anymore. I brought the tomatoes in the house and weighed them, they each weigh exactly 24 ounces. I only have one Joe's Pink Oxheart plant and it has 24 tomatoes on it (including the ones I already picked). That is impressive (for me anyway) considering most of them are a nice size. I will be trying them soon. I really hope they taste good because production is really good considering how big they are. Most of them are not as big as the two that I weighed but they are still looking like they are a nice size.

Last edited by Christa B.; July 31, 2016 at 02:58 PM.
Christa B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31, 2016   #63
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christa B. View Post
I am growing this variety this year. One ripened up and I gave it to my mother in law. My chickens ate one that was almost ripe (looked to be the biggest one I had) and I just picked 2 that are starting to get ripe so the chickens couldn't get them before I do. My husband is outside taking care of the chicken situation as we speak, making sure they can't get out of their chicken yard anymore. I brought the tomatoes in the house and weighed them, they each weigh exactly 24 ounces. I only have one Joe's Pink Oxheart plant and it has 24 tomatoes on it (including the ones I already picked). That is impressive (for me anyway) considering most of them are a nice size. I will be trying them soon. I really hope they taste good because production is really good considering how big they are. Most of them are not as big as the two that I weighed but they are still looking like they are a nice size.
Christa, I was going to post where you just posted about this variety, but maybe I'll go back,if I can find it and link others to this thread for the experiences of others and some back ground.

But with two recent posts here it may also appear on the front page,so to speak.

Carolyn
Old July 31, 2016   #64
sjamesNorway
Tomatovillian™

For those interested, Delectation of Tomatoes has seeds. http://www.delectationoftomatoes.com...k_Oxheart.html
sjamesNorway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31, 2016   #65
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjamesNorway View Post
For those interested, Delectation of Tomatoes has seeds. http://www.delectationoftomatoes.com...k_Oxheart.html
Steve, please see post #7 to see why I have LOTS of seeds,as farmed out for seed production to 3 Tville members, and the seeds will again , I offered them in an earlier seed offer here,be offered in Shawn and my seed offer this Fall.

Yes,Dale at Delection of Tomatoes does have a fantastic list of tomato varieties,prices are low and service great, but as for me and my tribe (Tville),as it were, I'd like to give the Tville members who did latest seed production the nod first.

Carolyn
Old July 31, 2016   #66
Christa B.
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
Christa, I was going to post where you just posted about this variety, but maybe I'll go back,if I can find it and link others to this thread for the experiences of others and some back ground.

But with two recent posts here it may also appear on the front page,so to speak.

Carolyn
I decided to google the variety and this was actually second google search result. I thought well I am a Tomatoville member so I might as well share my experience so far. I got my seeds in a big multi-person trade a couple of years ago. I heard about the trade on a different forum but a lot of the seeds I received came from Tomatoville members. Anyhow I am excited to try it and will post pictures later.
Christa B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1, 2016   #67
sjamesNorway
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Steve, please see post #7 to see why I have LOTS of seeds,as farmed out for seed production to 3 Tville members, and the seeds will again , I offered them in an earlier seed offer here,be offered in Shawn and my seed offer this Fall.

Yes,Dale at Delection of Tomatoes does have a fantastic list of tomato varieties,prices are low and service great, but as for me and my tribe (Tville),as it were, I'd like to give the Tville members who did latest seed production the nod first.

Carolyn
Carolyn, I read in your more recent post 61, "I was surprised to see in Tania's link that there are no commercial seed sources listed, Sandhill may be but Linda didn't get their list to Tania in time, so check there as well. I think I still have some seeds around..." - which sounded kind of iffy. I bought JPO from Dale, but it's good to hear you're once again providing for the tribe.

Last edited by sjamesNorway; August 1, 2016 at 02:18 AM.
sjamesNorway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1, 2016   #68
swellcat
Tomatovillian™

Default Taste

Quote:
I will never clutter this forum with threads about individual varieties.
What could be more relevant on a tomato forum?

A couple of taste reviews for the variety emphasize very-low acidity. (That registers with me as flabby and unbalanced and, therefore, unappealing.) Is sweet/low acid the right characterization for this tomato?
swellcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1, 2016   #69
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by swellcat View Post
What could be more relevant on a tomato forum?

A couple of taste reviews for the variety emphasize very-low acidity. (That registers with me as flabby and unbalanced and, therefore, unappealing.) Is sweet/low acid the right characterization for this tomato?
In my opinion,take it for what it is,there's no such thing as a low acid tomato variety,but see below.

There are many varieties called low acid when the truth is that they have a high mixed sugar (Brix) level which masks any acidity.

Maybe about 20 years ago there were 20 varieties that were introduced that were really lowa cid, not good since in processing tomatoes for canning one relies on the canning process to remove any spores of botulism.

Of those 20 the only one I know of is Jet Star F1 and here's why lemon juice needs to be added

https://www.google.com/#q=JEt+Star+F1+and+canning&hl=en

Jet Star F1 and Supersonic F! were two of the eariest hybrids introduced,which also includes Big Boy and Better Boy and Ramapo and many think they are great,as do I.

As to how JPO tastes,that will vary from person to person based on many variables such as the weather in any season how grown,amendments used,if so which ones and when, and there are human genes that also can influence taste.

All of those variables also refer to ANY variety as well.

All I know is that I think JPO is a great variety as I have from the get go when I got the initial seeds from Margie,

Carolyn
Old August 1, 2016   #70
seaeagle
Tomatovillian™

Default Jet Star low acid?

I freeze tomatoes and I grow and love Jet Star.So when I heard it was low acid I did a little research to see if I could find out if it really was.

What I found out was when you freeze tomatoes it really doesn't matter.But while researching I couldn't find any proof that Jet Star was low acid.On the contrary what I found was that it was not low acid.

My search took me to a University study on canning tomatoes and Jet Star was one of the tomatoes used in the study.It had a pH of 4.13.I remember Celebrity was another one used and had a pH of 3.90.

To be considered low acid tomato the pH has to be 4.50 or higher.The University of Minnesota I think it was put out a list of tomatoes that were low acid and Jet Star wasn't on the list and just about every well known and not well known hybrid was.

No matter to me cause Jet Star is still flowering and setting tomatoes in this scorching heat and humidity and the taste is excellent.
seaeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1, 2016   #71
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaeagle View Post
I freeze tomatoes and I grow and love Jet Star.So when I heard it was low acid I did a little research to see if I could find out if it really was.

What I found out was when you freeze tomatoes it really doesn't matter.But while researching I couldn't find any proof that Jet Star was low acid.On the contrary what I found was that it was not low acid.

My search took me to a University study on canning tomatoes and Jet Star was one of the tomatoes used in the study.It had a pH of 4.13.I remember Celebrity was another one used and had a pH of 3.90.

To be considered low acid tomato the pH has to be 4.50 or higher.The University of Minnesota I think it was put out a list of tomatoes that were low acid and Jet Star wasn't on the list and just about every well known and not well known hybrid was.

No matter to me cause Jet Star is still flowering and setting tomatoes in this scorching heat and humidity and the taste is excellent.
It looks like I forgot to post one very important link, well actually two links so I'll have to fetch them again.

Actually it was one of the links in the general links I posted above

http://www.harrisseeds.com/storefron...-jet-star.aspx

Harris Seeds were the ones who bred Jet Star F1,and they also say it is low acid and to add lemon juice.

I can't find the other link which is from here at Tville,where you,seaeagle posted about Jet Star.

If you look in the Ball Canning book, a bible for many,you'll also see that Jet Star F1 is listed as low acid and to add lemon juice,and actually there are several places that now say that the contentsof all jars,regardless of a specific tomato variety,should be acidified.

Carolyn
Old August 1, 2016   #72
seaeagle
Tomatovillian™

Yes the USDA or whoever advises for food safety advises all tomatoes be acidified.Just thought i would share what I found.

It did say the pH could be affected by the ripeness of the tomato when picked or canned.It was years ago when I read this so I am not gonna attempt to find it again. A great tomato regardless
Old August 1, 2016   #73
seaeagle
Tomatovillian™

I did a quick search looking for the report I saw on Jet Star and found this one.Not the same report I remember but basically the same results.

http://www.joe.org/joe/2010december/rb6.php

Basically confirms that Jet Star is not a low acid tomato.Maybe
Old August 1, 2016   #74
Scooty
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
In my opinion,take it for what it is,there's no such thing as a low acid tomato variety,but see below.

There are many varieties called low acid when the truth is that they have a high mixed sugar (Brix) level which masks any acidity.

Maybe about 20 years ago there were 20 varieties that were introduced that were really lowa cid, not good since in processing tomatoes for canning one relies on the canning process to remove any spores of botulism.

Of those 20 the only one I know of is Jet Star F1 and here's why lemon juice needs to be added

https://www.google.com/#q=JEt+Star+F1+and+canning&hl=en

Jet Star F1 and Supersonic F! were two of the eariest hybrids introduced,which also includes Big Boy and Better Boy and Ramapo and many think they are great,as do I.

As to how JPO tastes,that will vary from person to person based on many variables such as the weather in any season how grown,amendments used,if so which ones and when, and there are human genes that also can influence taste.

All of those variables also refer to ANY variety as well.

All I know is that I think JPO is a great variety as I have from the get go when I got the initial seeds from Margie,

Carolyn
I'm finding that out myself. I've been testing matos with a PH and digital Brix meter. Everything (so far) comes in around 4.10 to 4.45 ish PH. Brix is spanning from 4.0 to 8.0, though I haven't gotten around to SunGold yet....

Naturally, acidity and sugar levels aren't going to tell you everything about taste. I've had Pink Bumble Bee and Black Krim come in at the exact same PH and Brix. But they taste totally different. You'd probably need a spectrophotometer to start tracking the nth number of flavonoids that also affect tastse.
Scooty is offline   Reply With Quote