Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old March 25, 2009   #16
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

I don't see anything in the two pictures you posted that rule out TYLCV. But I certainly cannot make a diagnosis as the pictures are not quite detailed enough and I have not seen TYLCV up close and I was not aware it was even in Corpus.

Best of luck!

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25, 2009   #17
dice
Tomatovillian™

It could be some other virus where the affected top growth
looks quite a bit like TYLCV. The description of tomato mosaic
virus in that page that mentioned the purple veins sounded
quite similar to me, for example, though they might be easily
distinguishable in real life just looking at the foliage. It does
look more like a plant virus than anything else (ouch).

Fingers crossed.
Old March 25, 2009   #18
duajones
Tomatovillian™

Spoke with the agent and he has forwarded the pictures to some Dr. at College Station and is waiting on a response, which he said could be a day or so. He did say that after looking at the pics he was leaning towards some type of insect damage. He didnt want me to base anything on his thoughts and wanted me to wait to see what A&M has to say as he has little experience with TYLVC. So I guess I will wait a day or two.
Old March 25, 2009   #19
travis
Tomatovillian™

With regard to TYLVC's range, it's currently a big problem in Florida. With recent tropical storms encompasing the entire Gulf, it's not unlikely that TYLVC-infected insects have blown in with the wind. The same thing has happened with TSWV-infected thrips both windblown and transported on nursery stock. Just a hypothesis at this point in time.
travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26, 2009   #20
duajones
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by amideutch View Post
Duane, might try spraying your plants with a aspirin solution. Won't hurt and might just help. Ami
I have used aspirin before but didnt stick with it long enough to know if it helped or not. What is your experience and how and what rate do you apply it?
Old March 26, 2009   #21
geeboss
Tomatovillian™

Crush 2 adult asprins and sprinkle at the bottom of your planting hole along with crushed egg shells and 1 lb fish. Add compost and soil 3 inches and place plant and backfill.

George
geeboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27, 2009   #22
duajones
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeboss View Post
Crush 2 adult asprins and sprinkle at the bottom of your planting hole along with crushed egg shells and 1 lb fish. Add compost and soil 3 inches and place plant and backfill.

George
Thanks for the advice. I planted out several weeks ago but may try that the next time I am planting.
Old March 27, 2009   #23
duajones
Tomatovillian™

Their response:

Duane, Tomato Yellow Leaf Curl Virus. caused by sweet potato whitefly. Given the info that you gave us. Remove the plants to prevent spread.

I will pull the plants today when I get home from work and do plan on sending a sample to the lab. I guess I might refrigerate the sample as instructions state that it is important to not let it dry out. I will have to wait until Monday to ship

I know it isnt the end of the world but I am pretty devastated over this. I just hope that it hasnt spread to any of my other plants. Blight, hornworms, fruitworms, aphids, stinkbugs and now this. If its not one thing its another

Last edited by duajones; March 27, 2009 at 01:17 PM.
duajones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28, 2009   #24
newatthiskat
Tomatovillian™

Default reply

Sorry for the troubles you are having with your plants!
After so much work to have problems like this is really frustrating. Good luck with the rest
Kat
newatthiskat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28, 2009   #25
Polar_Lace
Tomatovillian™

Yes, Duane; that is so sad about your plants =/

Make sure to either burn them that you remove, or put them out for the garbage removal.

And please don't touch your other plants with the same tools/hands without first washing them down thoroughly!

I hope the other plants you have fair better.

~* Robin
Old March 28, 2009   #26
geeboss
Tomatovillian™

duajones,

I thought I had it bad when Mr or Mrs Sticky Fingers lifted my plants, but to have sabotaging bugs taking out your beautiful plant its just heartless. Crosses my fingers that here in N Va. we don't have to contend with those nasty bugs....well maybe stinkbugs. Any way your plants look great and I'm hoping that its only 1 plant with the problem.

George
geeboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29, 2009   #27
duajones
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the kind words. I really hope that this crud doesnt affect my other plants as that would truly break my heart.
Old March 29, 2009   #28
barkeater
Tomatovillian™

Duane,

Just curious, but were these purchased transplants? Apparantly this is how the disease has spread in the US , from FL to TX in 2006, and the following year to AZ. Of course, it's possible it came over from Mexico through the whitefly vector in your case.

Has any of your neighbors that grow tomatoes, if any do, had this problem?

And, I can't find out until I go back to work tomorrow night, but if it can be transmitted through seed, did these seeds come from a TYCLV area?
barkeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29, 2009   #29
duajones
Tomatovillian™

TYLCV is not seed borne. Both of the affected plants were started from seed. My neighbor had something on one of his plants last year that looked similiar, only alot worse.

http://www.avrdc.org/pdf/tomato/TYLCV.pdf
Old March 29, 2009   #30
Barbee
Tomatovillian™

Sorry Duane. Crossing my fingers that this is a one time incident for you. You must be so frustrated