Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating all other edible garden plants.

Old December 29, 2012   #31
kilroyscarnival
Tomatovillian™

Well, two of the three zucchini are already growing beautiful new leaves, and the third, the most badly hit, has the start of one coming.

Most of the peppers look like they're going to do okay. One is completely naked. All the leaves dropped off. Just as an experiment, I put a 2-liter bottle cloche around it to see if it regenerates.

I was really struck today by how perfect and green the foliage is of the tomatoes we planted in the SWC. The Mexico Midget and the Red Currant are suckering like mad. The chocolate cherry are doing well too. I still have some in the cups which really need to be planted out... I took five or six to the center where I do Jazzercise in the evenings. One of the building managers was interested in some - and he was on vacation this week. Next week for sure.

I finally think I have some decent catnip going. Had to rig it with a bottle cloche taped around it so the cats can't rip it up too soon.
kilroyscarnival is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14, 2013   #32
b54red
Tomatovillian™

I pulled up the last of my broccoli this morning. I grew three varieties, Bonanza, Flash, and Packman. They all did very well and the Bonanza and Flash made a lot of nice side shoots. My cauliflower did fairly good and the cabbages are still going fine. I just potted up my spring broccoli and cabbage to go out in the next couple of weeks. This was the best fall crop of broccoli I have had in years. Only had a few dangerously cold nights so they didn't need covering but a few times which makes it a lot easier. My carrots came up great but the squirrels have dug most of them up and eaten quite a few of the tops so it looks like I won't have a bumper crop of them this year. I am trying to get a fall tomato bed cleaned out so I can get it ready to plant onions which are nearly ready to go out. My lettuce did poorly mainly because I planted it too close to my broccoli and most of it got shaded out; but I will be putting out some more this week but in a bed by itself. I planted 3 types of spinach; but only the Salad Fresh is doing well. Usually Melody does great but not this year. The rutabagas that I started in DE and transplanted are already forming roots and some will be big enough to pull this week or next. For some reason my Brussel sprouts are not growing as fast as usual so they may be a bust this year if we have an early spring like last year. This time last year my sprouts were twice as big as this years. All in all it was a great fall with some good late tomatoes and bell peppers which we are still eating.
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote