Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for the various methods and structures used for getting an early start on your growing season, extending it for several weeks or even year 'round.

Old August 1, 2017   #1
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

Default BHN 589

has or does anyone grow this? last year I had it in a tunnel and I attributed it wilting down and dying due to moles. I am experiencing the same experience without the moles. great big beautiful plant with huge fruit and then it starts wilting. it is the only variety to be doing this. any one else have any experience with the plant. it started with one plant and has now moved down the row to about 6 others and then here and there. the tomato is an excellent producer and the flavor is great on the small ones that have quit growing due to the plant wilting down. very disappointed.
Old August 1, 2017   #2
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Carolyn, I haven't grown it, but I have read about it here http://www.tomatogrowers.com/BHN-589...ductinfo/3941/

We had moles out here very bad. You would be walking and suddenly sink into one of their tunnels. There was one area so bad with their tunnels that I poured concrete in it. Then my brother brought a boarder collie out here. That dog has put a huge dent in the mole population.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1, 2017   #3
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

Salt, its review about flavor is spot on but the plants keep wilting down. I was worried about verticilium wilt so I put one cut stem in a jar of water and there was no milky fluid come out. maybe my drip tape is not working properly and they are so stressed they are keeling over. I just cant figure it out. I cut off 6 maybe 8 plants tonight picked them clean and tossed the plants out.
Old August 1, 2017   #4
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by clkeiper View Post
Salt, its review about flavor is spot on but the plants keep wilting down. I was worried about verticilium wilt so I put one cut stem in a jar of water and there was no milky fluid come out. maybe my drip tape is not working properly and they are so stressed they are keeling over. I just cant figure it out. I cut off 6 maybe 8 plants tonight picked them clean and tossed the plants out.

It's Bacterial Wilt that causes plants to wilt and that you can diagnose by placing stems in water. Verticillium will have yellowing and then browning of the leaves (typically in a V pattern) along with the wilting. For this you want to cut the stems a few inches above the soil line and check for discolored streaks.

If all the leaves are staying green and BW has been ruled out, hopefully someone else can provide some leads.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2, 2017   #5
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

nothing to indicate an issue within the stems. they are a nice evenly colored green interior. I am clueless. these are planted in a different place than last year but the garden got leveled with a machine this Spring to put up a 20x96 high tunnel. so it isn't as if the soil can be ruled out it is just strange. maybe I just am not watering them enough.
Old August 2, 2017   #6
kurt
Tomatovillian™

The breeder is from our hood in Lake Ochochobe
e.589 is a standby for rounds for us,bred for our region.Along with We grow their 624 cherry.Homestead Red is our commodity eatin mater.All very good