Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for the various methods and structures used for getting an early start on your growing season, extending it for several weeks or even year 'round.

Old June 17, 2016   #31
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeannine Anne View Post
Ok, sorry I bothered you
You didn't bother me.
All along there has been information back and forth as to if you even need reflectors.
Saying paint the light cord was a joke.

One thing I can warn you about is the information you will get on some of the sites you have been visiting are the result of people spending way too much money on stuff.

I will try to get my point across in two different ways.
Years ago they used to have the stereos that would have so and so distortion at so and so watts or amount of power.
This amount of distortion was far beyond what the human ear could detect.
The same goes with those crazy magnum hunting rifles.
They keep cumming up with new rounds that are like 50 feet per second faster than some other round.
The end result is the same and it is just about getting you to spend money you dont need to spend.
In other words better may not be enough to amount to a hill of beans.
There is so much miss information on those pot growing sites it is unreal.

If you get some 65K T8 bright day light tubes with as high a wattage as you can find you will be doing fine.
They are the same light spectrum as the noon day sun.
They put out every color of the light spectrum your plant needs.
They will put out blooms and produce fruit if you want them to.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17, 2016   #32
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by luigiwu View Post
Jeannine Anne, do you not like the rolldown blackout shade idea? It works like having to paint a surface ala worth but you don't need to do all that work!
The roll down shade is the best way to go.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7, 2016   #33
schill93
Tomatovillian™

The roll down shade is the neatest solution, but not the cheapest.

You could also buy a white shower curtain liner and use the hangers to hang it around your shelves (at least the wire ones)

https://www.amazon.com/InterDesign-M...+curtain+liner
schill93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7, 2017   #34
49tandc
Tomatovillian™

You can use almost anything as a reflector. I just built some 'Ballast Bypass" LED lights for my shed. I bought a 10 ft piece of Vinyl rain gutter from HD for under $4.00. Another $7 if you want to use the fancy ends. The tombstone ends that hold the florescent lights I got at Ace Hardware - $1.99 per pair. The LED bulbs only need one (tombstone) end wired (load and neutral). The other end just holds the LED bulb in place. Bulbs were cheapest online - around $7 each if you buy 10 or more and are suited for "damp conditions...". I needed 30 bulbs for my shed. You can make two 4-ft LED lights for under $20 bucks. Great lights. You can choose the lumens and coloration. Just screw the tombstones to the rain gutter and wire up the one end. Instant on, no flickering no matter the temps, and efficient. It worked so well, I built an eight foot one and mounted it to the eve of the house over the garage door. I wired the LED bulbs to the garage door opener. My wife loves having all that light as she drives in & the lights go out when the one inside the garage shuts off.

49T&C
49tandc is offline   Reply With Quote