Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old January 2, 2020   #1
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

Default Favorite melons?

I am planning on growing mostly melons this year (musk/Watermelon/true cantalopes) and was curious of you fine folks favorite melons.

I am especially interested in melons that perform well in the South, and ofc rare heirloom varieties, but growing region isn't a deal breaker for me. Thanks for any info, I am narrowing down my list and want to add a couple more.

My favorites so far:
Ha'Ogen
Crenshaw
Halona
Oranglo

Thanks, & Happy New Year everyone!
BigVanVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2, 2020   #2
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

HaOgen and Orangeglo , here. If only HaOgen had the "perfume" of some of the less tasty ones.

If looking for size, I recommend (Week's) North Carolina Giant melon (not watermelon). I've heard of 70 pounders, but cannot verify it.

Melon and watermelon growers may have something in common with fishermen.
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2, 2020   #3
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

Ha'Ogen is amazing. I've heard Orange Tendersweet watermelon is as good or better than Orangeglo, but I'll need to grow it to find out.
Old January 3, 2020   #4
Marcus1
Tomatovillian™

Besides halona that you listed

Hannahs Choice and Cresent Moon for cantaloupe
San Juan annas melon
Lambkin
Jade Star and Lemon Krush watermelon
Marcus1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3, 2020   #5
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Marcus.

I was searching around today and found many unusual ones here for anyone interested. https://www.nativeseeds.org/collections/melons
Old January 3, 2020   #6
b54red
Tomatovillian™

By far the best tasting cantaloupe for the south is Ambrosia in my opinion. It is a large luscious melon with very thick walls and it is extremely sweet and juicy. The weakness is no resistance to RKN that I can see. When I grow it I usually have good production for a while but as the season goes on the nematodes just destroy the roots. Give it a try but let me warn you it can be addictive.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3, 2020   #7
luke
Tomatovillian™

Ambrosia is the best cantaloupe down here. I always plant moon & stars, because they're kinda cool. I'm also a fan of orange and yellow meat watermelons, but I haven't located seeds for the ones I grew up eating.

I've always had trouble getting melons to mature, and it's kinda troubling. Both sides of my family had truck patches a couple of generations ago to make some side money. I keep that personal problem to myself.
luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3, 2020   #8
imp
Tomatovillian™

Another good melon for hot areas is green machine or green nutmeg, both small, but quite tasty for me here in Texas. The Crane melon out of Sonoma county area is excellent, bigger and does need to have water held at ripening, but people used to drive a 100 miles to get them.
Old January 4, 2020   #9
wildcat62
Tomatovillian™

We enjoyed Crème de la Crème melons last year. Also grow Moon & Stars every year.
Old January 4, 2020   #10
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

Looks like Ambrosia is getting added. Bill all good melons are addicting for me. That's why I've started growing so many! ��
Old January 4, 2020   #11
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by imp View Post
Another good melon for hot areas is green machine or green nutmeg, both small, but quite tasty for me here in Texas. The Crane melon out of Sonoma county area is excellent, bigger and does need to have water held at ripening, but people used to drive a 100 miles to get them.
Is this the same one Sandhill carries?
Old January 4, 2020   #12
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by imp View Post

I once read where one gardener in Arizona(?) figured out how to grow tasty melons in brutal conditions. He basically divided a circular area around the root mass into thirds (three slices to this pie). He would only water one "slice" a day, then another slice on another day, etc...to complete the circle.

Unfortunately, I don't remember anything about the frequency of the watering, whether it was daily or less, or how many days between completing circles.
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5, 2020   #13
mike5953
Tomatovillian™

+1 for Green Machine!
Also, Edisto 47 is an excellent performing/tasting melon in my garden: https://www.southernexposure.com/pro...-47-muskmelon/
mike5953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5, 2020   #14
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike5953 View Post
+1 for Green Machine!
Also, Edisto 47 is an excellent performing/tasting melon in my garden: https://www.southernexposure.com/pro...-47-muskmelon/
Thanks, I've had seeds for this for years now and I know it was bred by Clemson, but I wasn't sure if the flavor would be worth growing it. I may squeeze 1 plant in.
Old January 5, 2020   #15
imp
Tomatovillian™

I think it is the same, gets ripe when the freckles go orangey gold? Also, Collective Farm Woman melon is very good.