Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old July 4, 2018   #16
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Besides Sweet Success other good ones are Tasty Jade and Oriental Express. I gave away cucumbers by the bushel this year with those three producing most of them. Tasty Green made okay and it had some of the longest cucumbers I have ever seen.
These varieties also do well in pickles because they usually have a very small immature seed cavity meaning they will be nice and firm unless you let them get huge.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5, 2018   #17
Poohtoo8
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by b54red View Post
Besides Sweet Success other good ones are Tasty Jade and Oriental Express. I gave away cucumbers by the bushel this year with those three producing most of them. Tasty Green made okay and it had some of the longest cucumbers I have ever seen.
These varieties also do well in pickles because they usually have a very small immature seed cavity meaning they will be nice and firm unless you let them get huge.

Bill
Thanks Bill, I’m definitely going to try some of these next year. Last year I was giving bushels away, this year the straight eights have let me down. Lots of vine and blossoms just not a lot of cucumbers.
Poohtoo8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5, 2018   #18
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Another benefit of those varieties is they are burpless. They also can be very large and still have almost no seed cavity. You will have to experiment with when to pick to find what is right for you. It is amazing the number of pickle spears you can get from a 14 inch by 1 1/2 inch cucumber. The biggest disadvantage to this type of cucumber is that for them to make nice straight long fruits they need to be on a fence so they can hang.

Bill
Old July 5, 2018   #19
Poohtoo8
Tomatovillian™

I grow all my cucumbers on tomato cages so the majority of the cucumbers are “hanging”.
Old July 5, 2018   #20
Jeannine Anne
Tomatovillian™

My cukes plants just croaked in my greenhouse, I was sick yesterday and didn't water and that's all it took.

It seems to be a perennial problem for me, I get very early fruits and plenty of them then they simply stop, then the plants turn yellow and that's it, it is almost like they grow too fast and burn themselves out.

I think maybe I start then too early maybe, everything else in there is doing fine
Jeannine Anne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6, 2018   #21
Poohtoo8
Tomatovillian™

You don’t have the dreaded beetle on them do you? They’ll cause a beautiful healthy plant to “wilt and die” almost overnight. I lost all my plants two summers ago. Now I spray them with Sevin every 7-10 days and have had no problems.
Old July 6, 2018   #22
Jeannine Anne
Tomatovillian™

No there is not a bug in site
Jeannine Anne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6, 2018   #23
Al@NC
Tomatovillian™

Jeannine, cucumbers tend to be heavy feeders are you using a slow release fert like Osmocote?

Also, you could succesion plant your cuk's and start more seed every so many weeks..

Al
Al@NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20, 2018   #24
Fritz77
Tomatovillian™

I have the same problem but with pumpkins. My plants look very green and healthy but at one point they start growing and cruising around my garden without roducing a single pumpkin
I'm so stubborn (dumb some might say) that not only I planted pumpkins again this season but also 4 plants of melons that are having the same problem with the only difference that they have a lot of flowers. For this reason, yesterday I decided to try maual pollination. I'm not confident but I'll let you know if it worked.

My cocumbers are always good producers. They are just very disease prone. This season I'm growing 2 different varieties: one is Marketmore, the other...I don't remember

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poohtoo8 View Post
I have eight beautiful cucumber plants with tons of blossoms, unfortunately not a lot of cucumbers. Am I doing something wrong?
Fritz77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22, 2018   #25
b54red
Tomatovillian™

I finally pulled up my cucumbers today because they were just too old and messy with lots of diseased leaves. I can't complain because of the 15 or so cucumbers only two had noticeable nematode damage and that may be why they remained productive for so long. Usually they are done and gone by the first of July or earlier.

I have found the perfect fertilizer for cucumbers and things like broccoli and Brussels sprouts or any heavy feeders. I use Urban Farms Vegetable formula and it keeps them green and productive far longer than any other fertilizers I have tried. Their Texas Tomato Food is good but on these type plants the Vegetable formula is outstanding and it is easy to apply with a hose end sprayer every week or so.

I am going to plant a few seed this coming week and try for a few fall cucumbers. They usually don't do nearly as well but they are really nice to have that time of the year and especially if you can get some early lettuce in before the cold kills them.

Bill
Old July 22, 2018   #26
imp
Tomatovillian™

If our weather ever moderates a bit, I'd like to try to grow a few cukes for fall time. Will look for seed for those Bill mentioned. I can grow those with the pecan trees in back.
Old July 22, 2018   #27
peppero
Tomatovillian™

I planted my seeds in a tire with crw around it and got some great plants with blossoms galore, all male for about two weeks before I got any female. I am getting some nice ones now.

Jon
peppero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23, 2018   #28
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeannine Anne View Post
No there is not a bug in site
what variety are you planting? and yes they are very heavy feeders and need copious quantities of water. I have about 3 rows on trellises in the greenhouse which are about 30 ft rows. I water for two hours every morning with fertilizer. they have drip tape and plastic underneath them. and it gets HOT in there. they are producing oodles of cukes right now but I planted parthentocarpic varieties so I didn't have to worry about pollination. yours may not be getting pollinated if there isn't a bug in sight...nor enough food or water.

Last edited by clkeiper; July 23, 2018 at 04:33 PM.
clkeiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25, 2018   #29
Poohtoo8
Tomatovillian™

Straight Eights. I’ve got tons of bees, I just think it’s the variety. On another note, do you know what makes cucumbers bitter. The last few we’ve eaten were bitter. Thanks
Old July 25, 2018   #30
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

too dry for the bitter is my guess. I had one volunteer plant where it was really dry... the first ones were fine but the last few were terrible. they were where they got no water.. (outsid eof the drip tape area in the high tunnel)