Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Have a favorite recipe that's always a hit with family and friends? Share it with us!

Old November 19, 2012   #61
Zana
Tomatovillian™

That looks amazing, Tania. I'm definitely going to have to try some. And I'll post my results, because I'll be tweaking it for gluten free version.

Thanks,
Zana
Zana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19, 2012   #62
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zana View Post
That looks amazing, Tania. I'm definitely going to have to try some. And I'll post my results, because I'll be tweaking it for gluten free version.

Thanks,
Zana

I highly recommend a 50/50 mix of Amaranth and oat flour for a fantastic gluten free substitute.

Technically there is gluten in it, but not the Triticeae glutens that are typically the issue for people. Only about 2% of people who are gluten intolerant react to oat flour. Most people think that is due to the flour having a tiny amount of wheat in it. (maybe cross contamination at the flour mill? or stray wheat growing in a farmers oat field?)

Anyway I have a home made bread recipe that uses Amaranth and oat and it tastes awesome.

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19, 2012   #63
Tania
Tomatovillian™

Zana, I am looking forward to seeing your gluten-free version and hear about the taste results!

Tatiana's TOMATObase
Tania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19, 2012   #64
Zana
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbaron View Post
I highly recommend a 50/50 mix of Amaranth and oat flour for a fantastic gluten free substitute.

Technically there is gluten in it, but not the Triticeae glutens that are typically the issue for people. Only about 2% of people who are gluten intolerant react to oat flour. Most people think that is due to the flour having a tiny amount of wheat in it. (maybe cross contamination at the flour mill? or stray wheat growing in a farmers oat field?)

Anyway I have a home made bread recipe that uses Amaranth and oat and it tastes awesome.
I agree. I use Amaranth and Oat flour allot...as well as rice flour and others...depending upon what I'm doing. Its a relatively recent thing for me to be gluten intolerant, so I'm learning how to substitute in published or family recipes. I even heard about somebody making phyllo made of rice flour in the Toronto area....now I'm trying to hunt it down. I had it at a friend's place in Baklava and it was almost indistinguishable from the regular phyllo dough.

I've also mentioned to Mischka that I want to start Diet Restrictions - Gluten free, Dairy free, Kosher, etc categories for recipes. Whatever people ask for.
Old November 19, 2012   #65
Zana
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tania View Post
Zana, I am looking forward to seeing your gluten-free version and hear about the taste results!
Thanks, Tania. Will definitely let you know.

Zana
Old November 20, 2012   #66
ddsack
Tomatovillian™

Tania, thanks so much for posting the pirozhki recipe! My folks were Latvian, so I am familiar with our version called piragi - baked yeast dough with bacon/ham/onion filling, but am really interested in trying the pan fried potato mushroom combo of yours. Wonderful how-to photos! If only my mom were still alive, I would have a better chance at using wild mushrooms, as she was an expert shroomer, but I'll just try it with store mushrooms. Our fall was very dry anyway, I saw very few wild mushrooms this year.

ddsack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20, 2015   #67
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Default How to make crispy french fries.

Okay folks this is what I do to make to make crispy french fries.
I fry the potatoes on medium to med low heat untill right befor they are cooked through and through but not turning color on the outside.

I then cool them off until room temperature.
Then turn the oil up to medium high and let heat up.
Put the potatoes back in and cook till golden brown.

This way they wont be soggy and be crispy.
Another option wold be to steam cook or boil the potatoes first let dry and then fry.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2, 2015   #68
GardeningCook
Tomatovillian™

This is our "go to" potato salad for Memorial Day & July 4th, but love it other times as well when we can get red, white, & blue baby potatoes. Will be enjoying this tonight to accompany grilled turkey burgers.

GardeningCook Red, White, & Blue Potato Salad
(adapted from a recipe by Alton Brown)
Makes approximately 4 servings

One 1-pound bag of mixed red, white, & blue baby potatoes or, if purchased separately, approx. 1/3-pound each of white/yellow, red, & purple/blue baby or fingerling potatoes
2 tablespoons tarragon vinegar or cider vinegar
Approx. ¾ cup mayonnaise, or to taste
½ teaspoon dry ground mustard
Approx. ¼ cup chopped fresh Italian flat-leaf parsley
Approx. 2 tablespoons chopped fresh tarragon leaves
1 garlic clove, peeled & minced
1 shallot “clove”, peeled & minced
6 Cornichon pickles, roughly chopped
1 small or ½ a large celery stalk, chopped
Salt & freshly ground black pepper to taste

Wash potatoes, place in a pot with water to cover by a couple of inches, & bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer & cook until potatoes are tender when pierced with a sharp knife – approx. 15 minutes. Drain & set aside until cool enough to handle, then cut potatoes into bite-size pieces/slices.

In a bowl large enough to hold finished salad, combine all remaining ingredients well. Gently fold in potatoes & serve immediately, or chill in the refrigerator as desired.
Old August 17, 2019   #69
GoDawgs
Tomatovillian™

Default Spanish Potatoes With Olive Oil And Wine

Spanish Potatoes With Olive Oil And Wine
Patatas panaderas (baker's potatoes)
Source: Cooks Illustrated magazine

2 1/2 lbs Yukon Gold Potatoes, peeled and sliced crosswise 1/4" thick
1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
3 1/2 tsp Diamond Crystal kosher salt (if using Morton brand, use only 2 1/2 tsp)
1/4 tsp pepper
1 onion, halved and sliced thin
2 garlic cloved, minced
1/2 cup dry white wine

1. Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Stir potato slices and oil together in large bowl until potatoes are evenly coated. Stir in the salt and pepper until well distributed. Stir in the onion and garlic.
3. Transfer potato mixture to a 13x9" baking dish and spread into an even layer. Cover tightly with aluminum foil and bake until potatoes can be easily pierced with the tip of a paring knife, about 35-40 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 350.
4. Carefully remove the foil and set aside. Pour wine evenly over potatoes. Lightly place the reserved foil on top opf dish, leaving the sides open so moisture can escape. Return dish to the oven.
5. Bake until wine has evaporated or been absorbed (there will still be some oil bubbling around the edges of the dish), about 15-20 minutes. Remove from oven and carefully remove the foil. Let cool for about 10 minutes and serve.

GoDawg's Notes:
- These are probably the tastiest potatoes I've ever made. Such an easy recipe. Very tender and so flavored through by the onion and garlic! We marked the recipe "5 Stars" and "Company Good".
- Yukon Golds are used because they are closest to the kind of potatoes used in Spain for this dish.
- I read that a sauvignon blanc can be used for just about all recipes calling for dry white wine. So I always use the inexpensive stuff from WalMart, Oak Leaf sauvignon blanc, about $4 a bottle!
- This recipe makes a lot if there are only two people to eat it! Next time I will make a half recipe and still have leftovers for Day 2.
- My potatoes were tender at 35 minutes and the wine had been absorbed after 15 minutes.

GoDawgs is offline   Reply With Quote