Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating fruit-bearing plants, trees, flowers and ornamental plants.

Old October 27, 2010   #16
Medbury Gardens
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by RinTinTin View Post
I didn't particularly like the calafates. They weren't bad, but I never went out of my way to find them. They probably would make a good fence row once thick enough. Or maybe as a sacrifice to keep the birds out of your other berries.
Ive planted Elderberries for that same reason
Medbury Gardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1, 2010   #17
Di Taylor
Tomatovillian™

Hey Richard.... I thought I recognised what you were talking about then you said NZ Cranberry and I definitely have it in the garden, it's growing like wildfire, fruit is very sweet. You are welcome to take some cutting when you are up next - the plant I have is a few years old and well established, or you are welcome to come harvest next time it fruits.
Di Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1, 2010   #18
Medbury Gardens
Tomatovillian™

Gidday Di,That's good to hear you have one growing and successfully to by the sound of it.
The two bushes i have are coming away after only just making it through winter, but still they made it thats the main thing,just need to get some fruit again this season to have another try at the seed.

Thanks for the offer
Old November 2, 2010   #19
habitat_gardener
Tomatovillian™

I haven't grown it, but one of the public gardens nearby has a low hedge of Ugni. I've tasted the fruits and like them. The volunteers pick them, so I don't usually see any fruit on it. It doesn't get below freezing often here, but it has gotten as cold as 20F for a day or so at a time. It looks like a good one to try in a container.

Another favorite from the Myrtaceae is pineapple guava flowers.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acca_sellowiana

I've tried a few fruits in the myrtle family and so far the only one that's blah is the Syzygium (haven't tried any eucalyptus or callistemon flowers or fruit, though). I taste a fruit whenever I pass a Myrtus communis hedge -- a resinous edge, so best for occasional nibbling.

There used to be a Luma apiculata
http://www.sfbotanicalgarden.org/Gar...om_08_09.shtml
in a front yard along my dog-walking route, and I used to pick a few whenever I passed. It was pruned into a lovely small tree. Alas, one year it had a huge crop, and I noticed it dropped all over the driveway and car, and within a few months it was removed.
habitat_gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2, 2010   #20
wmontanez
Tomatovillian™

Well as it turns out I know nothing about berries, they are so many. I am not yet commited to plant fruit trees but was looking into cold hardy varieties and came across Pawpaw a native US fruit that you don't see in the stores and it turns out is a berry as well http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pawpaw
http://www.starkbros.com/products/tr...y-fruit/pawpaw
Old March 31, 2011   #21
grapenut
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by red View Post
There has to be a magnificent story to go along with this picture....is there????
Yes! very thorny! the tomato is covered in a husk with smaller thorns that kind of recedes as the tomato ripens, it cracks very easy and is very sweet and yet acidic.

One thing I can say about the Chilean Guava is it doesn't like frost, at least when young.
grapenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31, 2011   #22
grapenut
Tomatovillian™

Sorry, wrong quote, meant to quote the one above that.
Old March 31, 2011   #23
Medbury Gardens
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapenut View Post
Sorry, wrong quote, meant to quote the one above that.
Some forums have a delete botton which are handy sometimes.

My young Chilean Guava's survived last winters frosts by covering them on the odd night that were the heaviest,over -7C 19F,they grew back wonderfully but didn't fruit,the key now is to get them through this winter coming.
Old March 31, 2011   #24
wmontanez
Tomatovillian™

That is fantastic news that made it through the winter. Have it ever fruited for you in NZ?
Old April 1, 2011   #25
Medbury Gardens
Tomatovillian™

yep it had fruit last season which had the seed i tried to grow
Old April 29, 2011   #26
grapenut
Tomatovillian™

As I understand, these things are hardy to 15 degrees, but all the damage I have ever seen has been due to frost and in the 28 degree range.
If I leave my plants out and its below frost temps, no problem, I can leave my plants out during the coldest part of winter, but must bring them into the pump house when frost threatens.
Old April 29, 2011   #27
Medbury Gardens
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapenut View Post
As I understand, these things are hardy to 15 degrees, but all the damage I have ever seen has been due to frost and in the 28 degree range.
If I leave my plants out and its below frost temps, no problem, I can leave my plants out during the coldest part of winter, but must bring them into the pump house when frost threatens.
That's interesting,the only time out temps here go below freezing is when there's clear sky's and a frost.

The Guava in photo only just made it through last winter and has put on that growth you can see since,this mornings frost was a -1C 30.2F but yesterdays was a -4.8C 23F which has hit the growth tips a bit and are now bending over,my plan is to put some hoops over soon before the frosts get too heavy and cover with frost cloth
Old May 1, 2011   #28
grapenut
Tomatovillian™

Nice looking bush.