Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old March 17, 2013   #1
Melissa569
Tomatovillian™

Default My Soil Test Results... Bleh.

Wow... Ok so I tested my native lava ash soil we have on the ground out here (the video is not up yet). I was thinking I could use maybe half that, half good potting mix for the container plants. Well... Here are the test results:

Ph: 8.0 / Alkaline
Potash: Low
Nitrogen: VERY low
Phosphorus: VERY low

Yeah. I know. lol.

Actually, the last two.. Nitrogen and Phosphorus.. Were so low, they didn't even register! Really, they stayed the natural color of soil and water, didn't change at all.

Looks like this lava ash/sand up here is fairly devoid of just about everything, lol. I was a little disappointed, with how most of the people I've met face-to-face are always saying how nutrient-rich it is. Hmmmmm.

The only good thing I can say about this stuff is--- Its GREAT for drainage. Pretty much impossible to over water. And I guess its good that I can control the amount of nitrogen (if I do mix some of this in with my potting mix), because it would be added. So "leafy plants with no fruit" can be avoided.

But seems like I will need a decent potting mix and some good nutrients for at least 80-90% of what my plants will be growing in, to have a respectable harvest.

Tags
ash , lava , sand , soil , test