Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old August 26, 2019   #61
taboule
Tomatovillian™

Weather turned a bit cooler the past 1-2 weeks and back to nice being out there. We've been picking only what we could eat or gift, it became work for anything else, including maintenance or spraying. Finally a week ago, we got a break in the temps and forecast for heavy rains. I thought this was my chance to preserve a decent batch, else much of the crop would go to waste -split-crack-burst and the mess that follows. So I went out and picked a few baskets, this is half, I had to empty in trays and reload.

half-batch-aug19.jpg

I let them sit until ready to process, and give some of the less ripe ones a chance to fully ripen. Leave them in the cool basement, single layer mostly in large flat bins, huddled in the darkness.

waiting-aug19.jpg

Then on Sunday, dear wife said she wanted to help me make sauce, as I had a weekend full list of honey-dos. So she cleaned and prepped the below, about 200 lbs from picked.

prepped-togo-25aug19.jpg

cont...

Last edited by taboule; August 26, 2019 at 10:11 PM.
taboule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26, 2019   #62
taboule
Tomatovillian™

The pressing/juicing part was the fastest and easiest. Then the cooking, total of ~60 quarts here with more waiting to be added once reduced down.

making-sauce-25aug19.jpg

I cooked it down a bit this time, to a nice saucy consistency. Still had to can in 2 batches giving the volume, the AA30 can do only 14 quarts at a time. Here's the end result, 28x jars, cooling and pinging away.

28x-aug19.jpg

DW cut up two special specimens for savoring, his and hers (BW & SOO) with a side of salty black olives.

degust-aug19.jpg
taboule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27, 2019   #63
bower
Tomatovillian™

Wow... what an awesome crop! The sauce looks amazing too.

I would eat a slice of that SOO right now...
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27, 2019   #64
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

Looking good! That's a heck of a lot of tomatoes! Glad you made a ton of sauce .

Linda
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote