Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating beans, peas, peanuts, clover and vetch.

Old February 16, 2015   #16
saltmarsh
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starlight View Post
Very nice set-up Claud and some nice looking bean plants you had growing there. Appreciate you explaining how you set up your rows too.

Yours look so good, I should send you all my bean seed to grow for me.
Ha. But then you'd miss all the fun.
saltmarsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16, 2015   #17
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Very impressive setup saltmarsh..

Jean, welcome to Tomatoville.

Kentucky Wonder Bush
Tendergreen Green Beans [Bush bean]
Kentucky Wonder [Pole]
Rattlesnake [Pole]
Sultan's Crescent Green [Pole]

All are really nice varieties. I'm going to grow a lot of Top Crop bush beans this year. They are speckled and the pods have a smooth feel to-the-tongue raw and when cooked. Something that some tomato growers try to stay away from is planting tomatoes where beans/legumes were grown the year before. Legumes produce nitrogen as stated in above posts.

Adding too much nitrogen - but at a still safe level can cause tomato plants to grow larger than usual with tons of leaves and very few tomatoes. So, basically, don't plant tomatoes and beans as companion plants, side-by-side, and try not to plant tomatoes where legumes grew the year before.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18, 2015   #18
bird-watcher
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for all the info everyone. Really appreciate it.
bird-watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18, 2015   #19
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Ha. But then you'd miss all the fun.
How you figure that Claud? I'll send you my seeds, you plant them, tend them, water and fertilize them, suffer through bugs and any other problems and than....

after you harvest them all, you send the beans to me and I have the fun of eating them without all the work.
Starlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18, 2015   #20
saltmarsh
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starlight View Post
How you figure that Claud? I'll send you my seeds, you plant them, tend them, water and fertilize them, suffer through bugs and any other problems and than....

after you harvest them all, you send the beans to me and I have the fun of eating them without all the work.
Now you are starting to sound like one of my customers. Last year I didn't have time to pick the beans before market. A lady wanted some beans. I offered to let her have them if she would go pick them. She looked at me like I was crazy. She said she didn't want to pick beans, she wanted to buy them. Needless to say she didn't get any beans. Claud
saltmarsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19, 2015   #21
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

Claud.... It amazes me the number of folks you offer free fresh veggies to if they just come pick it themselves that say they just don't have the time. Yet, they will go to grocery store and spend a longer amount of time than what picking garden fresh would take to pick through piles of old, dried so called "fresh beans."

I've offered free tomato and pepper plants to folks to grow in their yards to help feed their families and get the same thing. Too busy to water and feed a plant. They'll wait til the fruits are available or go to grocery store and buy.

I just don't get how folks can walk away from help yourself, free fresh veggies. Ya won't see me turning town any offers for sure.

Heck I have even gone and picked through seconds and thirds that were offered free and came back and helped clean up after harvest in exchange.
Old February 19, 2015   #22
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlittleSalt View Post

Adding too much nitrogen - but at a still safe level can cause tomato plants to grow larger than usual with tons of leaves and very few tomatoes. So, basically, don't plant tomatoes and beans as companion plants, side-by-side, and try not to plant tomatoes where legumes grew the year before.
Thank you for that advice as that is exactly where I had been planting a bunch of beans. I don't have a whole lot of beans per say, but have a lot of new ones I haven't grown before and have enough seed to make at least three hills of each type to taste fresh and than save seeds from hopefully.

I'm anxious to see how the ones I got do down here in heat, humidity.
Old March 27, 2015   #23
linuxmoose
Tomatovillian™

I plant Jackson Wonder, which is supposed to be a bush bean, but it does put on a few runners, so I just plant in double rows on either side of a 2ft high run of wire. I always try to rotate the location, so that other plants can benefit from any nitrogen added to the soil by the beans.
linuxmoose is offline   Reply With Quote