Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating beans, peas, peanuts, clover and vetch.

Old October 26, 2014   #1
ChrisK
Tomatovillian™

Default Snap peas

What varieties do y'all like? Looking for good yield and flavor. Sugar Snap is the most famous, of course.

Ignorance more frequently begets knowledge: it is those who know little, and not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science. --Charles Darwin
ChrisK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26, 2014   #2
joseph
Tomatovillian™

I grow my own variety of red-podded snap peas... They are of course my favorite.

Among commercially available varieties I really like "Sugar Magnolia".
joseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26, 2014   #3
kath
Tomatovillian™

I don't have a favorite, personally, because they're just too fibrous for me, but we've grown: Dwarf White Sugar, Sugar Ann, Sugar Daddy, Sugar Lace, Sugar Lace II, Sugar Snap, Sugar Sprint and Super Sugar Snap. DH's favorite of those for taste is Sugar Lace II, which I've grown for the past 3 years. It's a short type with more tendrils than leaves so it's probably not as productive as the taller varieties, but we don't need many.
kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26, 2014   #4
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

I like Amish Snap, available from Southern Exposure Seed Exchange. Here, I plant at the beginning of March and I can pick until about the middle of June. It's a tall plant, reaches about six feet in height. Climbs easily.
Old October 28, 2014   #5
bower
Tomatovillian™

Usually grow Sugar Snap, this year we tried one called Cascadia. It didn't set any flowers or pods on the bottom 3 ft of the plant. Taste was on par, but not production. Supposed to tolerate summer heat better than others, so it might do better for you in NC. I'll be back to Sugar Snap next year.

Also tried a very cool snow pea, Chris, called Norli. It's a Dutch variety which is extremely compact but bushy, early and loaded with small pods. Very nice yield at the farm, and they also came back from the roots and flowered and set again in the fall in my garden. Such a nice yield from a short bushy plant, I'm thinking to try it indoors in the winter. A couple of people thought it was not the sweetest, the pods are small, and they do go limp pretty soon after picking. None of that will matter to me, if I can get a few plants to produce on the windowsill. There's no fresh snow pea like the only one in town..
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29, 2014   #6
tam91
Tomatovillian™

I grew Sugar Snap and Super Sugar Snap side by side. No contest - Super Sugar Snap were much sweeter, tastier, and even earlier. Loved 'em!
Old October 29, 2014   #7
ChrisK
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the ideas, all. I'll see what my local purveyor of seeds has to offer.

Ignorance more frequently begets knowledge: it is those who know little, and not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science. --Charles Darwin
Old October 30, 2014   #8
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

Super Sugar Snap, for me. It's a week earlier than Sugar Snap, which means a lot if the season is short.
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30, 2014   #9
ddsack
Tomatovillian™

I never grew them together in the same season, but I couldn't notice any difference between Sugar Snap and the Super version. Maybe it was the weather that year. They all do well, and are done by the end of July up here.

ddsack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30, 2014   #10
kayrobbins
Tomatovillian™

I grow Oregon Sugar Pod II from Baker Creek. I like this because it only grows about three feet tall and produces earlier than other sugar snaps with longer vines. I don't have to do much trellising and when the younger grandchildren come over they can easily reach them. It seems to be one thing that even reluctant vegetable eats can't get enough of.
kayrobbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31, 2014   #11
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

Oregon Sugar Pod II here.

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31, 2014   #12
tam91
Tomatovillian™

Side by side, there was a huge difference in taste for me between Sugar Snap and Super Sugar Snap. I was very surprised how much.
Old October 31, 2014   #13
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

I've grown lots of the snaps in the past and the only one I really liked that was great for me where I am is Cascadia, which I would grow again, if I could.

Carolyn
Old October 31, 2014   #14
ChrisK
Tomatovillian™

Oregon Sugar Pod II and Cascadia are what they had, so that's what is in the ground now!