Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old August 27, 2019   #46
tryno12
Tomatovillian™

Next year I may try the Polaris, true colours and Taiga if seeds are offered.
Pete
tryno12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 5, 2019   #47
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

This year, I have grown six similar varieties of tomatoes intended primarily for sauces and puree. From MMMM I got seeds of four varieties - Andes Horn, Gilbertie, Opalka and Jersey Devil, the other two varieties from the trade in the Czech Republic. Last week I made a larger harvest of these tomatoes and tried to compare them. All these varieties are fleshy, with a little seed and a little gel. They are different in size and also differ in taste. Sort by taste (fresh fruit) from the best Gilbertie (180 g), through Jersey Devil (120 g), Opalka (175 g), Andes Horn (120), San Marzano Gigant (160) to the worst Scatolone (100). Fertile Opalka, Scatolone a tomato rather than drying the sauce.
Vladimír
PS.: It would be interesting to see how the sauce of the individual varieties would taste, but I didn't have so many tomatoes. I cooked it with all the tomatoes and it's delicious.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN1915Gil.jpg (196.7 KB, 555 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN1921Jers.jpg (209.1 KB, 553 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN1919Opalka.jpg (213.1 KB, 553 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN1913AnHo.jpg (186.1 KB, 552 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN1917SMGig.jpg (200.5 KB, 552 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN1923Scat.jpg (204.6 KB, 547 views)
MrBig46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5, 2019   #48
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Great photos! This review is helpful thank you
KarenO
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6, 2019   #49
lexxluthor
Tomatovillian™

Nice pics and descriptions.
lexxluthor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30, 2019   #50
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

One more picture from this year - heart
Vladimír
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN1809.jpg (117.3 KB, 453 views)
Old March 23, 2021   #51
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

Currently I have a window with seedlings crowded. More than 200 tomato plants, sixty peppers and twenty eggplants. Soon I will have to plant the tomatoes individually in pots. I need about 100 tomatoes, so I'll have to throw out more than half. People here are not interested, because they would have to grow them at home for some time. They prefer to buy ready-made seedlings, even if the varieties are not much. He buys what is available, he doesn't think much about it. Tomato like tomato.
Vladimír
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN2815.jpg (129.2 KB, 354 views)
Old March 23, 2021   #52
swordy
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBig46 View Post
Currently I have a window with seedlings crowded. More than 200 tomato plants, sixty peppers and twenty eggplants. Soon I will have to plant the tomatoes individually in pots. I need about 100 tomatoes, so I'll have to throw out more than half. People here are not interested, because they would have to grow them at home for some time. They prefer to buy ready-made seedlings, even if the varieties are not much. He buys what is available, he doesn't think much about it. Tomato like tomato.
Vladimír
1. yes it's hard for those who are not used to to grow plants at home until the time is ideal to plant outside
2. maybe they don't want to try "strange" tomatoes, others than they have tried
3. maybe they prefer plants which are more prolific than the traditional varieties.

Still it's a pity to throw away all those plants.. Why don't you suggest any local farmers who (I guess) you see at open markets or groceries?
swordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26, 2021   #53
Milan HP
Tomatovillian™

I don't feel it's that complicated. People are just getting lazier and lazier. And they can afford it. No matter how much they whine about being poor. That's the way it is. No duties but all the rewards.

Vladimir, I'd gladly accommodate some of your surplus plants, but my own are a bit more than I really need. No more space. The reason is simple: I am as crazy as you.
The only way I can see is you going proactive. No, you don't have to go to the market place and rent a stall. Just think about how to address the right people - half lazy and half curious - and how to make them interested. Brno is a large city: there must be some. And I know you aren't after a profit.
Milan
Milan HP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26, 2021   #54
GrowingCoastal
Tomatovillian™

Here it is possible and welcome to donate extras to thrift shops.
Our SPCA also takes donations for their fundraising sale in the spring though I wonder if they will do that this year.
Last year, because shops were closed, one desperate idea was to leave extras on public benches labeled 'FREE' but I managed to give them all away to family and friends.
GrowingCoastal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28, 2021   #55
GreenThumbGal_07
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBig46 View Post
Vladimír
Hi Vladimir,
You should see my kitchen! I have dozens of 3-oz cups filled with some eclectic varieties never seen in a nursery! I will be able to use only maybe half a dozen, the rest might get donated. Last year I left extra plants at curbside and they were snapped up pretty quickly.
GTG
GreenThumbGal_07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29, 2021   #56
Andrey_BY
Tomatovillian™

The same here - about a half of all plants goes to neighbours and friends)

Andrey a.k.a. TOMATODOR
Andrey_BY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29, 2021   #57
JRinPA
Tomatovillian™

I have had to compost many in the past. It hurts a bit, but it is nice to have the chance to choose the best ones to plant. As long as they are not a hybrid seed, I don't see much loss. When I was starting plants with the dense planting method, that left a whole lot of orphan plants that I would put into cups, cut milk jugs, etc.

Lately I seed the tomatoes directly into soil blocks with multiple seeds (especially heirlooms with "free" seed) so I am not tempted to keep too many plants. A scissors is used to thin them to one plant per block. This has drastically cut down my problem of extra plants to tend and worry over.
JRinPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5, 2021   #58
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

At home outside the window I have seedlings of different sizes of these varieties:

Španělská rajčata
Rosa de Huesca, Salobre, Zamorano, Gallego, Negrillo Almaguera, Rosado Zapatón, Mozkorra Aretxabaleta, Rosa Aragon, Negro Sierra del Segura, Garode Bicolor, Verde de las Landas, Gordo Patones, Rosa Melillerd, Rosao de Ayerbe, Gordo Extremeňo, Fresa, Robredillo de la Jara.

Tomatoes from Karen O.
Karma Pink, Karma Purple, Karma multiflora, Tundra, Tajga, Midnight Sun.

Tomatoes from Fred H.
Green Bee F1, Lucky Agi F1, Agi Red F1, Madera F1, Green Tiger, Lucky Tiger, Blush, Creamsicle Grape, Marzano Fire.

Tomatoes from Darrel J.
Lorelei, Hibor, Cherokeee Jumbo, Pienollo x 04174, Pienollo del Vesuvio.

Some hearts
Orange Russian 117, Brad´s Black Heart, Orange Strawberry, Alice, Swoon.

Some cherry
Sun Garode, Sun Dolce, Dr. Carolyn, Ramallet Pequeňito Mallorquin

Something for sauces
Heidi, Gilbertii, Opalka, Genarro F1.

Two OP varieties resistant to potato blight
Mountaineer Pride, Mountaineer Delight

Other
Mikado, Indian Stripe, Orange 1, Orange Grosse Liesse, Ramallet Saint Lorrenc des Cadassar, Ramallet Florana flower, Ramallet des Figueral, Ramallet, Ibiza Bianca, Start F1

In the garden I already have:
EM Champion, Sarayev Gruntovyi, 0-33, Sophie´s choice, Maglia Rosa, Jagodka, Siletz, Betalux.
Vladimír
Old April 5, 2021   #59
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

The beginnings of an amazing tomato garden! I wish you a wonderful season and I hope to hear how everything does and see your photos along the way
KarenO
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5, 2021   #60
BobWicks
Tomatovillian™

Default Great List

I usually add one or two new varieties to my old standbys each year. This year it is Brandy Boy and Cherokee Chocolate. It is a small space in Southern California, so my varieties are limited. Big Beef and Mortgage Lifter are always reliable for me.
BobWicks is offline   Reply With Quote