Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion for successfully cultivating potatoes, the world's fourth largest crop.

Old March 24, 2009   #1
swimgymmom
Tomatovillian™

Default Storage Potato

Hi all!

I am very new to this forum but am learning so much already.

I planted Yukon Gold last year and put up about 60+ pounds for storage. I put them in burlap bags and put them in my unfinished, unheated basement. (Stays cool but not freezing.) After a few months, they started sprouting and then got soft. I had to throw away about 1/2 of them. The catalogs say they are good storage potatoes but I didn't find that to be true. Did I store them incorrectly (this was my first time trying it and followed a friends advice), or is this variety not the best for storage. Which is the best for storage?

Thanks,
Kim
swimgymmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25, 2009   #2
tjg911
Tomatovillian™

the cold is good (45 degrees) but they have to be kept in the dark (complete dark) this is why i put them in the fridge. they require high humidity too about 90%. light started the sprouting and that plus the lack of humidity probably led to the softening.

i have an extra fridge in the basement and i store my potatoes in the crisper drawers and plastic bags with a wet a napkin that i wet every week to keep them in a humid climate. my yukon gold were good to the end, about a week ago, and i've kept them to may in the past. they do store well. all blue seem to keep forever! i have yet to eat but a couple so far and have all of them in the fridge in the basement. took some up the other day, no sprouting and they are firm. they also do not get sweet but i suspose if you kept them for 10 months they may then.

tom
And he’s gotta be fast
And he’s gotta be fresh from the fight
I need a hero
I’m holding out for a hero ‘til the morning light
He’s gotta be sure
And it’s gotta be soon
And he’s gotta be larger than life
tjg911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25, 2009   #3
montanamato
Tomatovillian™

Yukon gold stores best for me also...
I keep them in a dark area under the stairs but the humidity is lower and the temps higher than ideal...They still store longest for me in those conditions...Mine last until Jan/March depending on the year...

Jeanne
montanamato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25, 2009   #4
swimgymmom
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the input. My basement has a walk out to it but I tried to keep them in the darkest part of the basement. I didn't think about the humidity issue. I don't have an extra fridge to use. I'll have to come up with a way to keep the humidity up and keep it even darker. Not sure yet how to do that but I have some time to come up with something.

Thanks again.
Kim
Old March 25, 2009   #5
tjg911
Tomatovillian™

is your basement cool enough? if not do you have a garage?

put all your potatoes into a black trash bag, add a damp rag, seal it with twine and put that into a box and cover it with a blanket. i think that temperature is the hardest to control, you need to have a cool place. humidity and darkness can be created.

tom
And he’s gotta be fast
And he’s gotta be fresh from the fight
I need a hero
I’m holding out for a hero ‘til the morning light
He’s gotta be sure
And it’s gotta be soon
And he’s gotta be larger than life
tjg911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26, 2009   #6
swimgymmom
Tomatovillian™

Tom,

Our basement is unheated and stays pretty cold in the winter - below 50 degrees. I don't think the temp is the problem. If I put them in a plastic bag with a damp rag, will that create mold inside the bag or not?

Kim
Old April 4, 2009   #7
Medbury Gardens
Tomatovillian™

Kim,a lot has to do with variety also,this winter coming i have fifteen different varieties to store knowing that some will store better than others,i dont have a basement as our winters are not overly cold but i do store in a darkened shed.i find the blue varieties store poorly where i have a Maori potato(moie moie)that even by mid summer will still only have spouts of 20mm.

Richard,
Medbury Gardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19, 2009   #8
phicks48
Tomatovillian™

when i was a kid we kept our poatoes in a poatoe bin in the celler we would go down around jan early feb and snap off all the sprouts growing seemed to work to we never ran out Paul
phicks48 is offline   Reply With Quote