Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old June 5, 2010   #1
D23
Tomatovillian™

Default Tomato leaf curl/gall

Started some tomatoes inside and all was well until planted outside mid April -- grew initially, then tops began to curl almost like a gall. Purchased new plants and tried again, but some of these are beginning to look the same. I am attaching a picture -- any suggestions/help greatly appreciated. I assume some type of virus -- but have never seen this before and tomatoes had not been planted in this area before. Note the plant never turns brown or dies -- just stays curled up. Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg whole plant.jpg (736.3 KB, 81 views)
File Type: jpg Top.jpg (272.1 KB, 66 views)
D23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5, 2010   #2
RandyG
Tomatovillian™

Look at aminopyralid herbicide damage in Wikipedia and compare the picture shown there to the photos you have posted.
RandyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5, 2010   #3
Suze
Tomatovillian™

I also think it looks like herbicide damage.

Have you applied any weed and feed to your lawn in the last few months?
Suze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6, 2010   #4
D23
Tomatovillian™

I did not apply any weed killer this year -- but did use compost from grass clippings -- probably in that as even removing and replanting new did not help.
Old June 6, 2010   #5
D23
Tomatovillian™

Is there anything that can be done for the tomatoes that were damaged? Thanks.
Old June 6, 2010   #6
RandyG
Tomatovillian™

No. Also, there is a high probability that the herbicide residue will carry over in the soil next year and maybe even subsequent years to cause damage. Was your lawn or the grass from which the compost was obtained treated with herbicide last year, and if so, do you know what herbicide was used? Some of the systemic herbicides now being used on grass to control broadleaf weeds persist for a long time and can cause damage to tomatoes even in minute amounts.
RandyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7, 2010   #7
b54red
Tomatovillian™

I had two plants a Linnies Oxheart and a Reif Red Heart that developed severe leaf curl and they both eventually died. Neither were exposed to any herbicide and were among 100 other plants that did not have any of the same symptoms. The leaves just rolled up and seemed almost dry looking while the surrounding plants were fine. Mine didn't have the curl on the new growth so much like the above pictures, as it seemed to move up the plant while the very newest growth would look almost normal. Does anyone know what can cause this or what it is? Sorry I don't have any pics. I didn't think about it until it was too late.
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25, 2010   #8
gflynn
MAGTAG™

D23,

Since this was in composted grass it could be Clopyralid, which is a sister chemical to Aminopyralid. It has been used in lawncare products in the past. Oregon had a real problem with it. There is more then one manufacturer of these products.

You must dig out the area plus 6 inches of fill dirt beyond this and just maybe you can use the area next year but I may just start fresh somewhere else.

Greg
gflynn is offline   Reply With Quote