Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for commercial seed, plant and garden supply sources.

Old November 21, 2011   #61
tedln

Lee,

Very nice website with lots of interesting stuff. On the site, you show a photo of a tomato named Litchi tomato. The fruit on the vine have husks similar to tomatillo. As a child, I remember people talking about a "husk tomato". As an adult, I always thought they were referencing tomatillos. Is the Litchi tomato a tomato or a tomatillo or something else?

You also have a photo on your site entitled "Snow Storm". I'm curious if the material on the tomato tents is the same aluminized product sold as insulating blankets for hot water tanks.

Ted
Old November 21, 2011   #62
goodwin
Tomatovillian™

hi Ted

The Litchi Tomato is in the same family as the potato, tomato, ground cherry and tomatillo but it is something else. The plant is covered with sharp thorns. If you can get past those defences, the fruit is seedy with a sweet cherry flavor, and can be used in a variety of ways. I would grow it anyway just because I like the way it looks.
You're right - that is reflective coated bubble insulation used on hot water pipes and tanks which is covering the walls of water surrounding the seedlings. It works pretty well, and generally gets us to market about 4 to 6 weeks before anyone else planting in the field. We also use solar panels and pump hot water through tubing buried under the surface of the tomato beds.
Driving by our place in the spring, you might think the spaceships have landed. Folks certainly slow down and stare at the contraptions!
Lee
goodwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22, 2011   #63
tedln

Lee,

I really like your tomato tent idea. Where I live, I don't have to worry about late snow storms or late hard freezes, just late frosts. I don't know what widths and lengths the insulating materials are available in, but if It can be purchased large enough to cut a large circle from, the circle would make four large tents and the corners left after cutting the circle would make four smaller tents. Only one side of each tent would require gluing or stapling. Either re-bar or bamboo stakes should hold them up with tent stakes holding the sides down. I like them because they look easily store-able and easy to erect when needed.

That is why I enjoy gardening. There is always something new to learn.

Ted
Old November 22, 2011   #64
gill_s
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodwin View Post
hi Gill -

I use first class mail international which is very reasonable (perhaps one reason our postal service is in financial trouble). It is fast and reliable as well.
I'll send you a T-mail and also check my site to see why it doesn't connect you to my regular email. Also, virtually all the tomato varieties we have (about 350 in all) that you see on the farm website or are listed in the database are available to trial.
The last several years we have grown Arbuznyi for market and it is early and productive. It then fades a bit in the heat here and returns in cooler weather. Anyway, thanks for checking out our farm.
Many thanks.

I found your database very interesting. Some varieties which I had not thought lived up to expectations I found had similar observations from you.

Once I have packed my husband off to his evening meeting I shall enjoy myself spending a few hours browsing your website!!

Gill
gill_s is offline   Reply With Quote