Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old May 16, 2008   #136
huntoften
Tomatovillian™

Feldon...you WILL pay the price in August when your plants are all burned up and we're swimming in maters! Put a slice of braunschweiger on that sandwich and I'll buy it for $100!
Old May 16, 2008   #137
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

You never know, I might be eating and tasting maters somewhere in August.

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2008   #138
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
I'll answer tomorrow, just too tired right now.
I'm not as tired right now.

The main comment I wanted to make was about Feldon's comments in how to go about knowing what varieties you might like as well as the SSE comments.

I'm one who is not a great believer in trading seeds. I've been posting online about tomatoes since 1989 and there are far more crossed varieties with traded seeds than you'll ever find at most of the good seed sources.

I suggest that folks starting out buy some or most of their seed and get some experience growing tomatoes so that they become familiar with different plant habits and leaf forms so that they know how to rogue out plants that aren't true to type. IN addition, since most of the best seed sources are small family owned ones you're supporting these folks in terms of allowing them to stay in business.

And I don't recommend SSE membership to everyone until they've had some direct experience otherwise, except if they'd like to choin just so their membership monies support the mission of SSE. Don't get me wrong here for I'm along time Life Time SSE member and have supported them and listed varieties since about 1990. The YEarbooks with their listings number about 4,000 varieties and many of them are found no where's else, but two facts to keep in mind.

First, seeds that you might request from SSE listings are not always pure.

Second, I feel that again, a person should have experience before starting out with the rarer or less known varieties, so they have a basis for judging the worth of a variety.

Ask someone what their favorite variety is and they may tell you but you don't know that they've only grown about 10 varieties.

Then ask the person who has grown a hundred or more the same Question.

The person who has grown more has a better handle on judging the worth of a variety just based on prior growth of many varieties.
Old June 25, 2008   #139
Aphid
Tomatovillian™

I'm going to order a copy from amazon, I couldn't find it untill I realised it's "tomatoe" not "tomato".

why do so many people spell it "tomato" on here? I'm confused now.
Aphid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25, 2008   #140
huntoften
Tomatovillian™

"tomato" is singular

"tomatoes" is the plural spelling

Ask Dan Quayle!
Old June 25, 2008   #141
Aphid
Tomatovillian™

I'll stick with tomato, call me lazy , less typing
Aphid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14, 2009   #142
duajones
Tomatovillian™

ordered my copy yesterday, looking forward to reading it
duajones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16, 2009   #143
newatthiskat
Tomatovillian™

Default REPLY

I received this book as a gift from a friend (neva) at work who is also now on t-ville. You should see us bringing them to work each night and then comparing and planning what to plant. We do this inbetween working of course . Just wanted to bring this thread back up and express how much we appreciate all the info that is available. Thanks Carolyn!
Kat
newatthiskat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16, 2009   #144
Wi-sunflower
Tomatovillian™

I have had a copy of the book for a long time. Problem is I can't find it. It probably ended up out in the barn in a "supplies" box that goes with us to the market.

So yesterday I found it on both Half and Amazon and ordered another copy for the house.

Way back when I first got the book, I checked what varieties I grew. Very few back nearly 10 years ago as many of the varieties were marked "seed not commercially available". But now with so many of the smaller heirloom seed companies, I think I'm growing at least 20-25 or more. With all the trades I've done here this year, by next year I should have a lot more.
Wi-sunflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16, 2009   #145
Dukerdawg
Growing for Market Moderator

Kat, isn't it fun to have a tomato buddy? I have a few, but my buddy Pat, who I might see twice between Oct-Apr is over 2-3 times a week starting in the spring for seed starting, fussing over tender plants and growing early spring in the GH and of course at harvest time. Truthfully he is a lot like Felix and I am more of an Oscar so it only works because we get a 6 month break from each other

He actually weeds more than I do. Alot more. One good reason to keep him around.

But back to the topic at hand, Carolyns' book! I might have to order another copy myself, the darn thing is getting so worn out. Always a great reference!

Duane
Old January 22, 2009   #146
duajones
Tomatovillian™

Got my copy today but it is damaged. I can send it back but have to pay the shipping. Since I got a good deal on it I may just keep the damaged one as my workhorse and just store the other one.
duajones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11, 2009   #147
eddie46
Tomatovillian™

I got mine and cannot put it down.
Ed
eddie46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20, 2009   #148
huntoften
Tomatovillian™

I'm not sure how many people will buy the book after I used it at my sale to show people several varieties, but I think MANY will buy it! I have about a dozen of the 100 for sale and it was a hoot to see folks faces when I'd show them the pics. I got a LOT of extra sales because of the book. People were fascinated with Opalka and Omar's Lebanese as well as the black tomatoes once they saw the pics. I'll definitely have more of these 100 next year...thanks so much Carolyn!
Old April 21, 2009   #149
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntoften View Post
I'm not sure how many people will buy the book after I used it at my sale to show people several varieties, but I think MANY will buy it! I have about a dozen of the 100 for sale and it was a hoot to see folks faces when I'd show them the pics. I got a LOT of extra sales because of the book. People were fascinated with Opalka and Omar's Lebanese as well as the black tomatoes once they saw the pics. I'll definitely have more of these 100 next year...thanks so much Carolyn!
I'm glad the book helped and you aren't the only one who brings it to plant sales and some I know bring it to Farmer's Markets for fruit sales as well.

But I gulped deeply when one person wanted to cut out the pictures of many of them and make laminated wee posters for plant sales, or maybe it was fruits being sold, I can't remember.

I mean they paid for the book and all that but I was taught as a kid to never underline anything in books, never to deface them in any way, so yes, I gulped deeply.

One of ther reasons that several have given as to how the book has helped is b'c I showed fruits that weren't perfect, foliage that was damaged and many other imperfections.

But that's the way it is and pictures in magazines or elsewhere that show perfect fruits for almost everything just don't make it with me.
Old April 21, 2009   #150
Barbee
Tomatovillian™

I just ordered the book for myself yesterday after reading this thread. Something I've been meaning to do forever, but always putting off. An early Mother's Day present to myself