Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old September 27, 2016   #16
shule1

Fireball and New Yorker are a couple others related to Coldset that might work out for you. One cool thing about Coldset is that it's said to be self-pruning.

I really don't know how any but a few of those I've mentioned taste, but taste is subjective. I have tried Sophie's Choice and what was supposed to be Coldset (though it never turned the right color, and it was really small; the plant was small, however). Sophie's Choice tasted all right (and definitely was a small plant). The taste didn't stick out to me a lot, but it was decent. I imagine it could taste better than it did for me, though, since it's used to different conditions, and it didn't live long enough to produce fruit that were more used to the conditions. Nevertheless, it wasn't acidic. I think it was fairly mild, and not super sweet (just normal sweetness for a tomato), but it still had tomato flavor. I imagine it would be a nice choice for many areas.

I haven't tried Sioux, but I have tried Super Sioux (which is indeterminate). There seems to be some confusion on whether Sioux is determinate or indeterminate. Super Sioux had decent taste. I'm not sure how big the plant was, but definitely not my most aggressive tomato. It did set fruit in the heat and was decently early, but it didn't score points for production or fruit size for me (so I'm thinking it wasn't used to the soil or some such).

Last edited by shule1; September 27, 2016 at 12:43 AM.