Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old June 30, 2011   #121
rsg2001
Tomatovillian™

New Big Dwarf Update: Two of them are in a 3' x 3' self watering planter, in opposite corners (there are 7 tomato plants of different varieties in that planter - it gets very impressive-looking as the summer wears on). However, the NBDs are both experiencing yellowing on middle to lower level branches - not the whole plant. On two of the branches, leaves on one side of the stem were yellow while the other side was normal. I've removed these branches and now waiting to see if it continues. Is it possible that they just don't like the 'wet feet' that they can experience in a self-watering pot? I have one other that is planted in a plain pot and thus far it has not experienced this. (FYI, both plants in the self-watering pot are beginning to fruit - each with two tomatoes en route at this juncture.)
rsg2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30, 2011   #122
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

Jeannine, it all depends upon what the current growers find.....amongst the possibilities are Rosella Crimson, Dwarf Kelly Green, Summer Sunrise, Perth Pride, Sweet Adelaide, and Dwarf Sweet Sue (these are the most advanced). A bit less advanced but at least very promising and getting close are Sarandipity, Dwarf Blazing Beauty, Wherokowhai, Sleeping Lady, maybe Boronia....off the top of my head, anyway!

But that's pretty good, meaning that within a few years we could be adding 11 to the existing 9 - 20 new dwarf tomato varieties is rather remarkable, when you think about it!
Old June 30, 2011   #123
Jeannine Anne
Tomatovillian™

Oh Craig, I am sure thinking about it !!

Thank you so much, now when I find out who will be handling them I shall be camping on their doorstep, there is now way I am risking losing them or getting them late next year.. if I have to read this post ten times a day LOL

Thank you as usual Craig, you know you always answer and you must be so busy, it is really appreciated.

XX Jeannine
Jeannine Anne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8, 2011   #124
Duh_Vinci
Tomatovillian™

Tasmanian Chocolate made it on to the plate today!

Rather surprise, since these were seeded much later (due to availability), and Craig, your were absolutely right, you actually have to "look" for them sometimes, due to the dense foliage... Actually noticed it from the inside the room, looking through the window, could not see it at all outside!

I tell you, handsome little "devil"! Brownish/orange color darker skin, deep pink center and dark green gel, a little smaller than the tennis ball size. Very very nice flavor, I'd honestly give it an 8, even being the first fruit.

It first, very sweet notes are pronounced, then the deep (not acidic) but pleasant rich tartness comes in, and still hints of sweetness. I really can't compare it to anything I've tasted before. No cracks so far, no imperfections... Now we wait for more

Regards,
D

Last edited by Duh_Vinci; July 8, 2011 at 09:01 PM.
Duh_Vinci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9, 2011   #125
WillysWoodPile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duh_Vinci View Post
Tasmanian Chocolate made it on to the plate today!
snip
D
Very nice mater DV. So the big question is... Are you going to grow this mater next year too?
Old July 9, 2011   #126
Jeannine Anne
Tomatovillian™

Can someone ntell me if fused flowers are common the dwarf project tomatoes please, I seem to be getting quite a few

XX Jeannine
Old July 10, 2011   #127
delltraveller
Tomatovillian™

I'm getting some fused flowers, too. I don't think it's unusual for these dwarves.

Don't worry, you're doing just fine.
delltraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10, 2011   #128
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

Many of the larger fruited dwarfs will do that - just like their indeterminate daddies!
Old July 11, 2011   #129
Jeannine Anne
Tomatovillian™

Thank you for the replies,funny little things these dwarfs, I have never had so many fused flowers in one greenhouse before.

Oh well,love my babies..and boy are they growing fast,considering how late they were going in.

XX Jeannine
Old July 11, 2011   #130
DogsandDirt
Tomatovillian™

I would like to try some dwarf variety next spring since I grow primarily in containers. I was wondering what current growers are using for growing media? Duh Vinci's plants look beautiful! And that Tasmanian chocolate looks delicious!
DogsandDirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18, 2011   #131
roper2008
Tomatovillian™

Unfortunately stink bugs are ruining all my tomatoes that
the blight isn't killing. I saw one decent Rosella Purple
that they did not damage as much. I sliced the good parts
out and took a taste. Very good, I liked it. A little sweetness
with a nice tang to it.
I will grow this again next year and cover it with tulle. Maybe that
will keep the stink bugs out.

Last edited by roper2008; July 19, 2011 at 08:23 AM. Reason: wrong info
roper2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28, 2011   #132
Patrina_Pepperina
Cross Hemisphere Dwarf Project™ Moderator

OK, so I'm wondering how the production is for all you lucky folks who are testing the first run on these new dwarf varieties? Please can you do a rough fruit count for me? I'm interested in them all of course, but especially want to know how Rosella Purple performs up there in the Northern Hemisphere

I posted this request in the "First Dwarf Project releases...." thread yesterday but think it could also be here.

Patrina
Old July 28, 2011   #133
Heritage
Tomatovillian™

Patrina,

I think every blossom on the first truss of my Rosella Purples set fruit. In retrospect, I probably should have pruned the first truss to develop a larger plant before allowing fruit set. (but who can do that?) I think fruit development competed for plant resources, slowing new fruit set because there was no more fruit set until the original trusses began to ripen. Each truss was a mass of 6 fruit, probably a total weight of 3 lb. per truss. If the new fruit (that has already set) gets as large, I will end up with a total of 5-6 lbs of fruit per plant. That's about the middle range for the first 7 dwarfs I'm growing.

I'll post my impressions and tasting scores for the first 7 dwarfs in a week or so... I'm still waiting on Summertime Gold to ripen.

Steve

Last edited by Heritage; July 28, 2011 at 05:01 PM.
Heritage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31, 2011   #134
jenniedhs
Tomatovillian™

I had the same results with Rosella Purple as Steve. At fifteen inches high, almost every bloom had turned into a tomato! It didn't start growing again until all of those were harvested, probably about 8 or 9 in that first group. Now it is about 2 1/2 foot tall with lots of new blossoms. The tomatoes were very good, almost like a Cherokee Purple!!! Opposite of the Rosella Crimson is Summertime Gold. Now at 5 foot tall, we wrestled it into a large texas tomato cage as the stakes weren't strong enough!
You sure have succeeded in the flavor department. I have really enjoyed the three I am growing, Summertime Gold, Summertime Green and Rosella Purple! Outstanding flavor.
Jennie
jenniedhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31, 2011   #135
jenniedhs
Tomatovillian™

One more observation that I'm not sure is useful.....the dwarfs I have are very resistant to herbicide damage. As is my Cherokee Purple. I got all of my plants except the two hybrids I grow from Craig, in all 11 plants. Earlier this spring I had three plants that showed definite 2-4D damage. I suspected the neighbors landscape maintenance company. I got three replacements from Craig. Those replacements and all the other tomato plants began to show the same damage. Long story short, the NC Ag. inspector did a thorough investigation and is almost certain it is from the manure I dug into each hole in the spring. The three dwarfs and the Cherokee purple worked through this and are now thriving and producing well, whereas the other plants only continued putting out deformed new growth and no new tomatoes. So, from my not very scientific observation I have found the dwarfs I have and the Cherokee Purple to be hardier and have some sort of resistance to herbicide damage.
Jennie
jenniedhs is offline   Reply With Quote