Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old April 23, 2009   #121
creister
Tomatovillian™

I just buy grow cloth and wrap each cage. Keeps the wind, hail, and some bugs off of my plants.
creister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23, 2009   #122
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar_Lace View Post
Shearing winds (40 mph) predicted for today.
Let me tell you about wind shear landing at Houston Intercontinental airport today. I thought we were going to land sideways.

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29, 2009   #123
Plantersville
Tomatovillian™

I'm now thinking that my maters have had enough rain for now. Maters are growing like weeds but so are the weeds.

I love to eat, sleep and fish........not necessarily in that order!
Plantersville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29, 2009   #124
newatthiskat
Tomatovillian™

Default reply

I really would like to send some of this rain away at this point! My prime time for fruiting and we have bad humidity and rain! It is supposed to rain the rest of the week and possibly into next week. At 7 am we are supposed to get up to 99% humidity. What humidity level is it when plants don't pollenate as well? (and yes I know not at 99%)
newatthiskat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29, 2009   #125
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

Yeah, the mosquitoes and incredible humidity right now are BAD NEWS. Do they make yard-sized silica packets?

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29, 2009   #126
geeboss
Tomatovillian™

feldon30

You can get your neighborhood dump truck full of Turface MVP and level it where your planting your crops.

George
geeboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29, 2009   #127
robin303
Tomatovillian™

I saw that shinny thing only once for a minute in the last 3 days.
robin303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2009   #128
duajones
Tomatovillian™

It feels like summer already here and temps are already at the point where plants will struggle to set anymore fruit. So far on the year, I have recieved right under an inch of rain with none in the immediate forecast. Finally broke down and started watering my lawn to the tune of 5000 or more gallons this month. I dont know if the lack of rain has had any effect on my overall results in the garden, but it isnt what I would call a good year at this point. Even my most prolific, productive, disease and virus free plant looks like it might turn out to be a dud. Purple Haze is putting out beautiful 3-4 oz fruit but the fruit has somewhat of a sour taste. Just bad luck I guess
Old May 4, 2009   #129
newatthiskat
Tomatovillian™

Default reply

Tornadoes in east texas. This has been one crazy year so far. Temps today have been mild but very humid today then in a few days we will be in the 90's.
Kat
Old May 5, 2009   #130
Polar_Lace
Tomatovillian™

Heavy Rains where here, on Saturday and knocked out the power at our house for 18 hours between 9 PM to 3:15 PM on Sunday afternoon.

Huge trees were knocked down; taking down 2 power transformers.

Now I have to clean out the fridge..... ugh!

~* Robin
Old May 5, 2009   #131
Mojo
Tomatovillian™

Very warm for this time of spring. 90 degrees today. I'm already having some blossom drop on a few plants. Unless we get another front in the next ten days, this may be the end of fruit-set around here. Pity, my Persimmons have been slow to set and I may not get more than a half-dozen now (Tons of everything else, though )
Old May 5, 2009   #132
kwselke
Tomatovillian™

It was 91 degrees on my patio a few minutes ago. I did not get out there until 8:00 this morning and it was 74 degrees at that time. It will be interesting to see what fruit set happens from now on.
kwselke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2009   #133
fourtgn
Tomatovillian™

I've gotten quite a bit of blossom drop over here. The only tomatoes that seem happy are my cherries. Oh well.

fourtgn
fourtgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10, 2009   #134
newatthiskat
Tomatovillian™

Default reply

Right now there are tornados and very high winds. Waiting for my power and internet to go down. Tyler it getting slammed right now.
Kat