Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating all other edible garden plants.

Old April 17, 2014   #121
ChrisK
Tomatovillian™

Could have gotten 100 plugs each of 5 different strains for only $10 more. I just don't have that many logs! They have some gorgeous oysters available as sawdust spawn too.

Ignorance more frequently begets knowledge: it is those who know little, and not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science. --Charles Darwin
ChrisK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23, 2014   #122
ChrisK
Tomatovillian™

I was buying bark in WallyWorld the other day and saw that they have bags of hardwood mulch for a couple of dollars. Anyone tried inoculating right in the bag and just leaving it outside? Maybe some slits on top to allow fruiting? Is pasteurizing necessary?

Ignorance more frequently begets knowledge: it is those who know little, and not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science. --Charles Darwin
Old April 23, 2014   #123
Delerium
Tomatovillian™

Rootloops, at what temps does Oysters start to slow down and not produce. Our summer temps can be extreme and was curious how the mycelium outdoors survives under extreme dry conditions?
Delerium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23, 2014   #124
RootLoops
Tomatovillian™

it depends on the strain, the beauty of mushrooms is that you can in a very short time(relatively) tailor a culture to produce in the conditions you happen to have. dryness is definitely not good for oysters but the cultures i sent will fruit in hot weather. i know of a guy in your state that grows them outside in a canvas box with a misting system(probably optional), shade cloth box if you google it. if you only want to grow for your family i would grow them inside, it shouldn't be too hard to get a clone of one that will grow on your table top
RootLoops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23, 2014   #125
RootLoops
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisK View Post
I was buying bark in WallyWorld the other day and saw that they have bags of hardwood mulch for a couple of dollars. Anyone tried inoculating right in the bag and just leaving it outside? Maybe some slits on top to allow fruiting? Is pasteurizing necessary?
pasteurizing is always a good idea, but when you are working outdoors there is a bit better chance of it going well even if you don't. if you were going to leave it in the bag it's in i would pasteurize it. you can get it soaked overnight and pack into turkey bags, preheat your oven to 300, when it hits 300 put your turkey bags on a cookie sheet, put em in the oven, and close the door and set a timer for 30 mins. when the timer goes off turn off the oven, and leave the door shut for a good 2 hours or until they have cooled. then you are pretty much good to use it however you want. i have no idea if they add antifungals to mulch so you might want to dig into that before you use it, but i'm pretty sure it will work just fine as a substrate
Old April 23, 2014   #126
ChrisK
Tomatovillian™

haha!

Wife: "What the heck are you doing in the oven now?"
Me: "Pasteurizing mulch for mushrooms!"

Wife:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RootLoops View Post
pasteurizing is always a good idea, but when you are working outdoors there is a bit better chance of it going well even if you don't. if you were going to leave it in the bag it's in i would pasteurize it. you can get it soaked overnight and pack into turkey bags, preheat your oven to 300, when it hits 300 put your turkey bags on a cookie sheet, put em in the oven, and close the door and set a timer for 30 mins. when the timer goes off turn off the oven, and leave the door shut for a good 2 hours or until they have cooled. then you are pretty much good to use it however you want. i have no idea if they add antifungals to mulch so you might want to dig into that before you use it, but i'm pretty sure it will work just fine as a substrate

Old April 23, 2014   #127
RootLoops
Tomatovillian™

i like the smell my wife has always been on board with any of the mushroom stuff, she loves eating mushrooms and i love growing em. we also love mushroom hunting, especially when it's chanterelle time!
Old April 26, 2014   #128
ChrisK
Tomatovillian™

Sunday project!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg plugs.jpg (412.7 KB, 44 views)

Old April 26, 2014   #129
RootLoops
Tomatovillian™

nice!!!
Old April 29, 2014   #130
ChrisK
Tomatovillian™

Five Shiitake and four Oyster logs and one round plugged! Blog post with pix coming this week.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg round2.jpg (516.5 KB, 28 views)

Old April 29, 2014   #131
RootLoops
Tomatovillian™

very cool! those are gonna be fun to watch fruit!
Old April 29, 2014   #132
epsilon
Tomatovillian™

ahhh the envy, I think maybe this fall, I'll try to get something started.
epsilon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30, 2014   #133
MrsJustice
Tomatovillian™

Hello Everyone

I see mushrooms growing in my farm all the times, but never eat them. I remember my Mother telling me never to eat wild mushroom, so I will only buy them from a store all my life. So to be safe I buy them every week because I Love them. . If I learned to grow my own Mushrooms I would save so much money each year. I baked my husband mushroom with chicken breast last week and he loved it so much, I was inventing mushroom recipes the whole week. I have many logs, so I will try it this year.

Farmer, Joyce Beggs
MrsJustice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30, 2014   #134
MrsJustice
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisK View Post
Five Shiitake and four Oyster logs and one round plugged! Blog post with pix coming this week.
Thanks for the pictures!!!

Do you drill whole in the logs than place the mushroom seeding inside?
MrsJustice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30, 2014   #135
RootLoops
Tomatovillian™

that's the jist of it, drill a hole and then hammer in the plug with a mallet, some people will then seal the hole with beeswax. for someone with a farm and logs log growing is the easiest way to go, it takes a while before you see fruits but once they start they'll produce whenever conditions are right. if you love mushrooms definitely give it a shot!

for a 4 foot log about four inches in diameter you need 20-30 plugs, more will make it colonize faster and less will colonize slower