Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Forum area for discussing hybridizing tomatoes in technical terms and information pertinent to trait/variety specific long-term (1+ years) growout projects.

Old July 9, 2015   #121
salix
Tomatovillian™

Very beautiful indeed, your heart must be fairly bursting with pride. The anticipation of tasting would be almost unbearable...
Old July 9, 2015   #122
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

Karen, very impressive! My tomatoes were sown April 1, planted out in my buckets on May 10 and in the ground May 15, I've only got 1 ripe tomato so far--today. It was a Sungold. I must say 43 days from transplant on tomatoes that size is quite impressive. Have you shared the parentage of these tomatoes? Do you find tomatoes ripen fairly quickly from transplant with your very long days this time of year? Maybe it's just been weather too--you mentioned it has been hot by you? I've been a bit cooler than normal and wet.
jmsieglaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9, 2015   #123
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

The original cross was a RL heart which I found to be quite early in my garden a few years ago called Ludmilla's pink heart, an heirloom from Kazakhstan I got from Caroline's seed offer crossed with a favourite tomato of mine a tri colour PL beefsteak with great flavour called Captain Lucky.

My goal at the time and wishful thinking I thought was a fancy PL heart that tasted good and was early enough for a Northern Garden.
Certainly the hot weather has effects on the growth and ripening. we do enjoy long day lengths here but no matter how you slice it, this is very early for a full sized tomato. I feel very fortunate and am looking forward to sharing with folks who would like to try them once I have stable seed.
KarenO
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11, 2015   #124
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

July 11, the smallest Polaris is the first to ripen and I finally get to see inside and taste one. Battered by hail in June and none too perfect, most are blunt hearts this one more oblate. Dark red-purple, minimal green shoulder, clear epidermis.
few seeds juicy and meaty. Earthy and sweet/spicy delicious flavour. It's hard not to be prejudiced but I honestly think it rivals the best of the blacks I have tasted like Margaret Curtain for example. You know those tomatoes you can smell when you slice it? This is one of those tomatoes.
I couldn't be happier with the earliness either. It has been hot here and I believe this is contributing to the earlier ripening but even still, these are very early for full sized tomatoes. There are more productive plants than the one this came from so it will be interesting to decide which of the 12 plants is the best overall to bring forward to the F4.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg f3 ripening.jpg (46.7 KB, 229 views)
File Type: jpg polaris1.jpg (58.7 KB, 230 views)
File Type: jpg polaris 2.jpg (61.6 KB, 227 views)
File Type: jpg polars3.jpg (40.2 KB, 230 views)
Old July 11, 2015   #125
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Beautiful, Karen. Nice color, and so meaty. But enough seeds to be able to collect a fair amount. What great work you do.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11, 2015   #126
efisakov
Tomatovillian™

Looking delicious and has aroma! A winner, definitely a winner. Great, Karen!

God comes along and says, "I think I'm going to create THE tomato!”
efisakov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11, 2015   #127
RobinB
Tomatovillian™

I love that deep color. Beautiful! I'm so happy for you, congratulations Karen!
RobinB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11, 2015   #128
ddsack
Tomatovillian™

Early indeed, for that size of tomato! Congrats on the good work!

ddsack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12, 2015   #129
bower
Tomatovillian™

That's a great basket of fruits for early July. I'm really looking forward to the day when I can grow out the fruits of your labours!
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12, 2015   #130
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by bower View Post
That's a great basket of fruits for early July. I'm really looking forward to the day when I can grow out the fruits of your labours!
They are looking like there won't be much more major segregation and all the recessive traits I want are fixed in the F3. Thanks for being a cheerleader from the beginning Bower. You and the others who have always offered encouragement will absolutely be among the first to try them. One more year and then F5 seed next fall to some TV friends to try I think.

KarenO
Old July 12, 2015   #131
bower
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenO View Post
They are looking like there won't be much more major segregation and all the recessive traits I want are fixed in the F3. Thanks for being a cheerleader from the beginning Bower. You and the others who have always offered encouragement will absolutely be among the first to try them. One more year and then F5 seed next fall to some TV friends to try I think.

KarenO
That is awesome, Karen. Let us know how you want the seed handled, I'll be sure to carry out your wishes. Tis a fine thing you've done!
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12, 2015   #132
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenO View Post

KarenO
(Frantically waving hands), OH OH ME ME ME!
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12, 2015   #133
raindrops27
Tomatovillian™

Those tomatoes are absolutely beautiful!!
raindrops27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13, 2015   #134
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

*waves* yes, please, pick me!
NarnianGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13, 2015   #135
RobinB
Tomatovillian™

Karen,
I would be honored to help in any way I can. These tomatoes need to be out in the world! There are too many bad-tasting earlies out there!
RobinB is offline   Reply With Quote