Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old March 23, 2013   #121
rflasck
Tomatovillian™

Hi Carolyn,

From your actual experience, do you have any comments on OP Big Beef? Taste? Yield? Disease resistance?
rflasck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4, 2013   #122
starrywishes
Tomatovillian™

ive finally got my Pre plant and weekly feed mix ready to use. thanks to carolynn but does anyone can help me with the calculation. i have vegetable garden with no raised bed that i will use for the first time this year and i dont know how much fertilizer to add (the calculation in the website is very confusing for me) its like 3meters x 3 meters = 9 m2. maybe i will make four 3meters long row for this method.

anyone can help?
starrywishes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4, 2013   #123
efisakov
Tomatovillian™

1 sq. m = 10.76 sq. ft
so 9 sq. m = 9(10.76) = 96.84 sq. ft (approximately 100 sq. ft area)
not sure if you needed that or what is the question

God comes along and says, "I think I'm going to create THE tomato!”
efisakov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4, 2013   #124
starrywishes
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by efisakov View Post
1 sq. m = 10.76 sq. ft
so 9 sq. m = 9(10.76) = 96.84 sq. ft (approximately 100 sq. ft area)
not sure if you needed that or what is the question
The question is how much pre plant mix and weekly feed mix need to be added into a 96.87 ft2 (or 9 m2) bed. How do I calculate it.
Old April 5, 2013   #125
tammy
Tomatovillian™

The weekly feed and pre-plant is based on an 18" wide bed. I found the site below that explains it pretty well.
http://sustainable-gardening.subto.u...lant-food.html
Tammy
tammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5, 2013   #126
starrywishes
Tomatovillian™

i have read that i have googled everything and read most of the websites, even watched the video on youtube...but its my poor math

actually you can still doing this method in any size of garden, bed, or what they called grow box, but the math and calculation must be precised. with my existing soil and bed i just need to figure out the calculation. so i dont over feed the plants. but i guess i will go to my kid's teacher

thanks everyone
Old April 5, 2013   #127
efisakov
Tomatovillian™

2 – 10 oz. packets of micro-nutrients will feed 200 tomatoes for the whole season.
1 - 10 oz. packet of micro-nutrients will feed 100 tomatoes for the whole season.
1/4 packets of micro-nutrients will feed 25 tomatoes for the whole season.

I am a math teacher, I can help. I just need all the details.

God comes along and says, "I think I'm going to create THE tomato!”
efisakov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8, 2013   #128
DogsandDirt
Tomatovillian™

Are you trying to figure out much to use for your garden plot?

According to the book, you're supposed to use 16 oz (volume, not weight) per 18" x 30' long row. So, that row is 45 square feet, which means the "dose" is 0.35 oz/ft2.

You have 96.84 ft2.
96.84 ft2 x 0.35 oz/ft2 = 33.89 oz total (volume). This equates to 4 cups + 3 Tbsp + 2 tsp fertilizer (you could probably just round up a little to 4 1/4 cups, or 34 oz).

Someone else please feel free to double check my math.
DogsandDirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16, 2013   #129
starrywishes
Tomatovillian™

Yes thats what i need to figure out thx dogsndirt! Thx everyone for tryin to help., thx to carolynn for sharing this....ihope this method will give me great result...ive learned so much from this forum....
Old April 16, 2013   #130
DanielA
Tomatovillian™

Perhaps some kind soul could answer this question, instead of feeding 14-14-14 once per week, could I feed 10-10-10 and three days later feed 5-5-5, or increasing the dilution of the 5-5-5 to give 4-4-4. I have both of these on hand and always want to use what I have. Are the benefits to using fertilizer once per week as apposed to using a lower concentration more often with the weekly sum being the same. I was thinking in terms of liquid fertilizer, could it also work with granular.
I only remember my grandfather using horse poop tea brewed in a old sack.
DanielA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17, 2013   #131
CarolynPhillips
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by rflasck View Post
Hi Carolyn,

From your actual experience, do you have any comments on OP Big Beef? Taste? Yield? Disease resistance?

the OP Big Beef that I grew was not as productive as the Big Beef hybrid. The plant did not have the vigor that the hybrid has. The taste was like a big beef hybrid. The plant did not have any diseases that year.

Carolyn
CarolynPhillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17, 2013   #132
CarolynPhillips
Tomatovillian™

I hope everyone got the micro-nutrients figured out and found the products. Sorry I wasn't here. I been transplanting 20,ooo seedlings since January. 9,000 of that was tomato plants and more to do.
But....I have been growing 20 tomato plants in 25 gallon pots this year using my fertilizer mixture and I added 2 gallons of rabbit manure to the soil when they were planted into the big pots. When the plants reacahed the top of their cages, I added two more gallons of rabbit manure to the top soil of the pots for a slow release manure tea. I am hoping this will make the plants more resistant to diseases. I am lucky so far. I moved the large plants outside the other day but there was no frost in the 7 day forecast and by this time of the year we shouldn't have one but......3 days after I moved them out, the weather man says it is going down to 37 Friday night. My muscles are still sore from moving the plants to their new location. I don't have it in me to move them back into the greenhouse....over the ditch and down a rocky path.
I did hold back on fertilizer before I moved them out side just in case we got a light frost but the rabbit manure has given them a small burst of tender growth.
I have learned that if I don't give the plants much fertilizer in early spring , they can survive a light frost cause their leaves are tough. But heavy fertilizer with lots of tender growth will be damaged.

These are the plants on the day that I moved them outside before I added the rabbit manure top dressing. 20 25 gallon pots with 5ft cages. 15 are Big Beef Hybrid. 5 are Sweet Million Cherry hybrid.

Carolyn
Old April 17, 2013   #133
CarolynPhillips
Tomatovillian™

These large potted plants need fertilizer more often when they get this big. I was giving them a table spoon of the fertilizer mixture every 5 days. They are loaded with tomatoes and blooms. I will have to add another cage on top soon if they don't get a fungus now that they are outside.

After they were moved out in their new location.

Carolyn
Old April 17, 2013   #134
CarolynPhillips
Tomatovillian™

Two days after I put the rabbit manure top dressing on, they greened up more and had some new tender growth. Not good for a light frost coming. roops.

Carolyn
Old April 17, 2013   #135
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

Carolyn, These rabbits in your greenhouse make me smile. My husband thought I was nuts for doing the same thing. Your house looks stupendous, by the way. Thanks for giving me the inspiration to keep on. I think most people don't realize just how much fertilizer a tomato plant needs. My customers seem to starve their plants to death, I think. Maybe I should invest in a about 50 rabbits...set up a breeding and butchering operation on the side so I have an abundance of fertilizer...here is my husband.
How many rabbits do you keep to produce the manure you need?