Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old June 28, 2016   #1246
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

Jax - amazing! Are you growing in the ground also?

Larry - most posterboard won't work; it will get wet. What would work (cheap) is the beginning of the year school supply sales; those cheap plastic binders come in bright yellow will give you a front and a back; probably can make up to 6 cards BUT what are you going to put on it?

I don't know if this would be too hard to attach buy campaign signs would work and be waterproof.

The year I did the tulle rooms, I also did the solo cup thing, and used Vaseline on all the cage legs (must have been ants)...I tried smearing with tanglefoot too. It becomes such a mess. I didn't have to worry about the lizards then, but I imagine they would get caught on the tanglefoot.

I even tried cutting the yellow sticky cards and putting Vaseline on one side; it worked until it got hot outside; then just melted off.

I really do like the yellow sticky cards; it just must be more buggy and windy where I live / or where I have the plants. I am holding them on with clothespins; just clip on each side. I no longer find them floating in the pool.

I would suggest getting a pack of Yellow sticky cards to see the consistency of the glue(?) and try to mimic it. It is similar to Vaseline but doesn't slide off.
Barb_FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29, 2016   #1247
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxRmrJmr View Post
Brandywine - pink. I complained about the lack of production earlier, but when it took off - it took off. Very productive. Here are two that I picked today.... 11.6 oz and 12.8 oz. Very good tasting as well.

They are about 10' - 12' tall and still have tomatoes! That pipe is 8' tall and I have released them a couple of times.
Jax,

My Brandywine Pink did the exact same thing. Was stagnant for ever and all of a sudden its like it woke up and decided it needed to catch up to the others. Only I didnt get to taste it before i left Florida but my neighbors said it was delicious.

I love your pulley system. Do you prune to a single stem? Can you post a picture of the whole thing and some details?

Looks awesome.
Ginny

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
Fiishergurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29, 2016   #1248
kayrobbins
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger2778 View Post
Did you all notice this thread has been pinned? Hee hee.
I am so glad Ginny posted the original Fellow Floridians post. We all chimed in immediately and I have gotten so much good information. Of course it has done nothing to help my resolve to grow fewer tomato varieties.

I mainly use the yellow sticky traps inside when my seedlings are under lights. I have tried all of the versions of the homemade ones but they just do not work nearly as well. Although they seem expensive when you think about how much less you spray for insects they are worth it.
kayrobbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29, 2016   #1249
efisakov
Tomatovillian™

Have any of you tried Indian Stripe (black variety)? It is usually early/mid season for me.
Grandfather Ashlock is another pink, PL that is early/mid season. Both have great taste and productive. GA seeds were from Maria/blueribbontomatoes.

God comes along and says, "I think I'm going to create THE tomato!”
efisakov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29, 2016   #1250
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayrobbins View Post
I am so glad Ginny posted the original Fellow Floridians post. We all chimed in immediately and I have gotten so much good information. Of course it has done nothing to help my resolve to grow fewer tomato varieties.

I mainly use the yellow sticky traps inside when my seedlings are under lights. I have tried all of the versions of the homemade ones but they just do not work nearly as well. Although they seem expensive when you think about how much less you spray for insects they are worth it.
Kay - me too! I have learned so much from everybody on these threads. It's been a fun and educational journey... :-)

Ginny
Old June 29, 2016   #1251
Zone9b
Tomatovillian™

Thanks to all for suggestions related to traps for insects. The suggestions helped me formulate a couple of ideas. I have a few left over large containers for mustard, purchased at a warehouse store. Of course the contents are long gone. The containers are quite yellow in color. I have removed the labels and I will smear one with Tanglefoot and hang it upside down on a stake and see if anything flies into it. At this point it is not a question of whether I use less insecticides, because I don't use any to begin with. If I come to the conclusion someday that I have an insect problem, I may try an organic insecticide of some sort.
Thanks again,
Larry
Zone9b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29, 2016   #1252
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

Larry, let us know how it goes. We go through a lot of yellow mustard.. :-)

Ginny
Old June 29, 2016   #1253
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by efisakov View Post
Have any of you tried Indian Stripe (black variety)? It is usually early/mid season for me.
Grandfather Ashlock is another pink, PL that is early/mid season. Both have great taste and productive. GA seeds were from Maria/blueribbontomatoes.
I tried a several of the purple/dark types of tomatoes in the same season to compare them side by side including Indian Stripe. I liked it a lot but just have too many other new ones to try. My favorite from that season were GGWT and PBTD but thats because I was more into the sweet/tart ones. But after growing so many like that for a few seasons I'm going towards more reds and pinks with a few less darks and striped ones gor fall.. :-)

Ginny
Old June 29, 2016   #1254
efisakov
Tomatovillian™

Nice pictures, Ginny. Thanks for the reply.

Old June 29, 2016   #1255
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Nice pictures, Ginny. Thanks for the reply.

Where are you in NJ? And what are you growing now?

Ginny
Old June 29, 2016   #1256
efisakov
Tomatovillian™

I am less than 5 miles from Statue of Liberty.
We growing a bit more than 40 varieties this year. Besides bugs, squirrels, cats and deceases, all is well.
I am trying to grow potatoes in containers this year. Broccoli is another new produce for me. Excited.

New varieties this year are:
Jabucar
La Vie en rose
Rose De Berne
Oxheart from Zagreb
Weisnicht's Ukranian
Daniel's (Sandhill)
Owen's Purple
Black Krim PL
McKinley
Turopolje
Hercegovac
Madjar
Garrison
McMurray # 10
German Johnson (different seeds)
Tarasenko 6 (last year it did not survive)

Last edited by efisakov; June 29, 2016 at 03:02 PM.
Old June 29, 2016   #1257
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

Oh so cool!! I worked for a year in Manhattan but the Office I worked of was in Weehauken. Are you in Hoboken or Weehauken?

From your list I have Black Krim and Rose De Berne growing... both new to me and both growing in the ground in an area that only gets 3 hours of direct sunlight and twinkly sunlight off and on through the trees the reat ofvthe day so I dont know what will happen.

Ginny
Old June 29, 2016   #1258
efisakov
Tomatovillian™

I grew Black Krim RL for few years. This is fears PL for me.
Hope Rose De Berne will be a good surprise.
PM sent.

Old June 29, 2016   #1259
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
I grew Black Krim RL for few years. This is fears PL for me.
Hope Rose De Berne will be a good surprise.
PM sent.
Got the PM. Small world... :-) I had to go check my Black Krim... its regular leaf.

Ginny
Old June 29, 2016   #1260
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

Here is Wes and my husband (hes 6ft 1). The plants are starting to take off... lots of blossoms and some tomatoes setting.

Ginny