Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old April 27, 2007   #106
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

My counts are climbing slowly. I have approximately 120 beefsteak/large globe tomatoes set and another 140 cherry types. I have zero fruit from 6 plants and less than 5 fruit from 7 others. So less than half of the plants are responsible for most of the fruitset.

The one that concerns me the most, and of course I gave it 2 growing slots, is Cherokee Green. The stigmas are so exerted it's not even funny. They're like 1/8" outside of the anther cone. Hopefully the toothbrush does something, because those blossoms aren't going to pollinate with a little wind or cage rattling.

Inspired by some previous videos, I made a little video of just how much pollen shoots out of tomato blossoms when touched with a Sonicare electric toothbrush:

Download Video
DivX format add-on
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27, 2007   #107
Vince
Tomatovillian™

Feldon,

That video is really nice. I didn't realize how well the tooth brush method stired up the pollen. Do you think it has made a difference with respect to fruit set compared to last year? Correct me if I am wrong I thought you mentioned somewhere this was the first year you did this.

Vince
Old April 27, 2007   #108
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

This is my first year doing this, and I don't have side-by-side comparison to test.

If I had lots of space, I would grow 20-30 plants of the same variety, some with daconil, some with serenade, some with no fungal preventative, some with toothbrush pollination, some without. Just to document the differences.
Old April 27, 2007   #109
FlipTX
Tomatovillian™

I just went after both Anna Russian and Arkansas Traveler with an electric toothbrush. I have a LOT of blossom drop on AT and just three tomatoes.
FlipTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29, 2007   #110
duajones
Tomatovillian™

I finally have first blush on bush early girl and jet star. Flowering has sure slowed down though, kind of like it does when its extremely hot but its not that hot yet. im wondering if I should fertilize again. Heres a pic of my little jungle.

Last edited by duajones; April 29, 2007 at 09:53 AM.
duajones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29, 2007   #111
sirtanon
Tomatovillian™

Wow!!! Those look great!

Wish mine were looking that good.

Here's some of what I have on the vine currently:

...and perhaps the ugliest tomato I've ever grown:
Old April 29, 2007   #112
CLa
Tomatovillian™

What types are those Sirtanon?
CLa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30, 2007   #113
Suze
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirtanon View Post
...and perhaps the ugliest tomato I've ever grown:
Good grief, Eric! That's hideous. It's got a bunch of green stuff kind of hanging out as a tongue too, below the eyes and nose.

I'll post some pictures in the next few days -- it's been one heck of a busy weekend!
Suze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30, 2007   #114
FlipTX
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
It's got a bunch of green stuff kind of hanging out as a tongue too, below the eyes and nose.
What in the world is that stuff? Is it part of another flower that the monster tomato is slowly devouring?
Old April 30, 2007   #115
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

Great updated pics, guys.

My fruitset has come to a screeching halt. I guess it's been too humid. Highs of 80, lows of high 60's to 70 for the next week, might high 90 over the weekend, so probably not much fruitset this week.

Right now I have 7 plants that have 0 fruitset.
Old April 30, 2007   #116
duajones
Tomatovillian™

your plants look real healthy sirtanon, nice job! Big Beef is also blushing. Found a huge worm on my Black Krim that had ruined 4 tomatoes. He wont be eating anymore though
duajones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30, 2007   #117
sirtanon
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLa View Post
What types are those Sirtanon?
Ummm....

Well, I wish I could remember all of them.

The first two photos are two different plants that actually survived the freeze we had here in Feb. Unfortunately, the tags they had have been lost and I cannot for the life of me recall which two they were. I believe they're determinate though (they seem to have stopped at about 4' tall).. and once they're ripe, I think I'll have an easier time working out what they are. Possibly Ace55..?

The third pic there.. that's a Big Rainbow, if I followed the branch down properly. I'll have to show a pic of that particular raised bed, showing everything growing together. It's becoming a thicket!

I've got other pics in the camera, but have not uploaded them yet. Tonight

As to the green "tongue" in that crazy tomato.. I'm speechless myself. Best as I can tell, it's the leftover bits of a REALLY big fused blossom, but I can't really say for sure because it kind of came out of nowhere Sure is an odd one though. I keep thinking of that googly sound from "Attack of the Killer Tomatoes"
Old April 30, 2007   #118
FlipTX
Tomatovillian™

Sirtanon, I would love to see pics of that thing when you slice it up. If it doesn't hop off the table and run away from your knife, that is.

Feldon, are you growing any Marglobe plants? Mine didn't set any fruit during the cooler weather and but is doing so now. I went from 3 total fruits to over a dozen in a couple of days.
Old April 30, 2007   #119
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

I am not growing Marglobe. If I don't get more fruitset this spring, then I will definitely bump some varieties and try others from the "reliable croppers" column. These are gathered from GW and T'Ville and have no basis in science, just varieties that have been mentioned enough times that I give them a 2nd look.

Aker's West Virginia
Big Beef
Cuostralee
Eva Purple Ball
Marmande
Marglobe
Momotaro
Ramapo
Sioux
Thalassoniki

1884 and Cuostralee are tagged because they have 2 sun symbols at Laurel's website. 1884 hasn't been mentioned much on T'Ville, so I will on my own trying it out. It's hard to grow lots of reds and still keep the variation in the garden up. If I put all of those, and Neves Azorean Red, and Ethel Watkin's Best then where am I going to put Jaune Flamme? I want to give Prue and other heart-shaped tomatoes a chance but also want some reliability. It's a dilemma.

I know, fill the pool, right?
Old April 30, 2007   #120
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I came home to find fruit set as well not on all but some.
and a worm bite.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote