Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old January 31, 2017   #106
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

If I ever got busted for weed I would claim the insanity defense.
I bet I could fool them too.
Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31, 2017   #107
kayrobbins
Tomatovillian™

I have been following this thread very closely. I am on a very strong chemo and the side effects from it are so much worse than the cancer. We finally got medical marijuana legalized in Florida but they are doing everything they can to make it difficult. My oncologist could not prescribe it. I would have to go to one of the Drs allowed to prescribe it for 3 months before I could get a prescription. The ones approved in my town are pill mill type docs. They also do have any of the dispensaries up and running yet. I only have 5 more chemo treatments before surgery so if I wanted to get a legal prescription I could not get it in time to help. Some other counties have passed laws delaying it being available for another year.

It is just an herb but one that has strong medicinal properties. I find it so frustrating that where you live determines if you can get something that would help.
kayrobbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31, 2017   #108
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

God bless you my friend.
Worth
Old January 31, 2017   #109
bower
Tomatovillian™

+1. There's only one reason IMO that mj has been illegal and that is because it is a natural substance so it can't be patented for drug company profits. But if it is now legal, I hope someone can help you to find it and no risk of any charges.

In Canada we've been promised that the legalization process "will begin" in April this year. Holy cow. In the meantime, they're continuing to charge people on simple possession, at least in some parts of the country (or if the policeman feels like it?)
CD Howe institute did a study, they say the government would save $4 million if they decriminalize possession now, in advance of the full legislation coming up. So WHY wouldn't they save $4 million and a load of grief for harmless, non-criminal citizens?!
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/cannab...ment-1.3545800

That's to say nothing of how many of those people are even using cannabis for a medicinal purpose. The whole prescription thing has not worked well at all ... suppose it is just for stress relief? What's wrong with that, it is perfectly valid IMO. Stress is bad for you.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31, 2017   #110
Ricky Shaw
Tomatovillian™

Best wishes for a full recovery Kay. It's unfortunate Florida has made the law so restrictive it's useless to you. The western states medical marijuana laws were open to broader interpretation of what constituted a medical benefit. Arthritic and chronic pain in general were admissible here, which led to a very permissible program. Because how do you deny someone has pain?

The plus side of the permissible approach was it showed:
1) legal weed was actually putting a hurt on illegal sales
2) the state was not going to fall apart
Ricky Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31, 2017   #111
imp
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayrobbins View Post
I have been following this thread very closely. I am on a very strong chemo and the side effects from it are so much worse than the cancer. We finally got medical marijuana legalized in Florida but they are doing everything they can to make it difficult. My oncologist could not prescribe it. I would have to go to one of the Drs allowed to prescribe it for 3 months before I could get a prescription. The ones approved in my town are pill mill type docs. They also do have any of the dispensaries up and running yet. I only have 5 more chemo treatments before surgery so if I wanted to get a legal prescription I could not get it in time to help. Some other counties have passed laws delaying it being available for another year.

It is just an herb but one that has strong medicinal properties. I find it so frustrating that where you live determines if you can get something that would help.
Kay, stay as strong as you can and I will be hoping and wishing along with you that things get better for you.

MJ was/is not legalized here in Texas, either, and so there was a big risk involved, but there came a point, for me, that it was a worry but a wash so to speak, because it did help Rob.

I can only hope that the government(s) get off their collective what evers and allow people to have use, as they have alcohol and cigarettes.

With that hope goes along the hope you shall be fine and things turn out well.
imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31, 2017   #112
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Maybe main stream America and Texans like us should get off of our collective a$$es and tell the government that represents ((((us))))) not them what we want.
It is our country and our state we are ((((not)))) their puppets or their children to $%^# with.
We know what is best for us not them.
Sorry to get up on step but when I hear these cancer stories I am ready to hang jerks from telephone poles up and down the street.
With Zero remorse.
Worth
Old January 31, 2017   #113
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtjmartin View Post
I agree with dmforcier - legality has little to do with most company policies.

For example, some companies have dress codes - there's nothing illegal about the way you dress . . . though, undressing can get you in trouble!

But can they punish you for not complying with their dress code when you're at home watching TV?
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31, 2017   #114
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

Kay, so sorry to hear about your struggles. I hope you find a way to get some relief soon.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31, 2017   #115
jtjmartin
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Father'sDaughter View Post
But can they punish you for not complying with their dress code when you're at home watching TV?
Actually, yes. A number of us work under moral turpitude clauses. Dressing in a dress, would have resulted in my firing. Watching the wrong type of programming would get me fired. Totally legal stuff. Totally at home.

A better example would be stuff I put on my own blog, from my own computer at home, on my own time. Totally legal. Any number of things I, and others can be fired for.

Don't want to fight, state laws differ. Father'sDaughter, your state may differ.

Jeff
jtjmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31, 2017   #116
jtjmartin
Tomatovillian™

Kay, I am so sorry to hear what you've been going through. I wish the media & politicians would spend more time with people who are suffering so bad. I don't think we hear your side enough.

I watched a lady at Target today have to get out her license to buy some sort of cold medicine. I thought, why do the rest of us have to suffer because some people abuse what we use?

Seems the same here: the government makes the innocent suffer in order to try to control those that won't control themselves.
jtjmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31, 2017   #117
dmforcier
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayrobbins View Post
I couldn't possibly make this recommendation, but a friend of mine says, "Ask around. What you need may easily come to you."

"Besides, no jury would convict a poor cancer victim, and the DA knows it."

Stupidity got us into this mess. Why can't it get us out?
- Will Rogers

dmforcier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31, 2017   #118
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Kay, I am sorry to read what you've been going through.

I agree with DM. and +2 Worth.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31, 2017   #119
HappyGardener23
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Father'sDaughter View Post
However, if use is legal, as it now is in MA, then a positive result shouldn't be a problem. And if the basis of a drug policy is to determine impairment, then it seems a positive urine test is meaningless.

I can see a lot of cases like the teacher who visited Colorado popping up if companies don't take the time to research facts and review their policies. It'll be interesting to see how things unfold...
Sadly, logic does not seem to apply here. I know that in our state, certain occupations (e.g. "big rig" drivers) cannot have a medical card and their professional license at the same time under any circumstances. Then there's an ambiguous statement on the paperwork along the lines of "having a card may limit one from holding other professional licenses/positions," but they don't specify or advise as to which ones at all. I even went so far as to call some state professional licensing boards to ask what the policy was. None would give me any response or comment on the topic. I was merely directed to consult an attorney, but an attorney cannot advise about the absence of a law or precedent, so that was not especially helpful.

I guess that it would be up to the discretion of the employer or the licensing board should an issue arise (a failed drug test). Seems pretty unfair given that people can use prescription medications, alcohol, nicotine, etc. without having to ask an employer if their job will be jeopardized; it is assumed that they will use these responsibly and in a way that does not impair job functioning. There seems to be a disconnect between people having a card for medical use and then being fired/loosing a professional license if they do what is legal and under the care of a physician. Basically, unless you are self-employed or unemployed, if you qualify for medical use and go through the steps to get a card and use it to the letter of the law, you still potentially risk your job/career just for using what the state said that you could use in the way that your state/doctor said that you could use it. Feels like the cops pulling you over/suspending your license for driving the speed limit and obeying all rules of the road with a valid drivers license. Makes no sense.

Last edited by HappyGardener23; January 31, 2017 at 10:22 PM.
HappyGardener23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1, 2017   #120
kurt
Tomatovillian™

My wife the nurse at our local ER has been mandated not to agree or even talk about a patients condition (alcohol / narcotic)when anyone is present for the legal ramifications it can and has caused.Common sense will prevail(thnx #118).The cannabis impairment/concentration levels to calibrate a sound reason to jail,ticket,fine or let go has yet to be established.Chronic cannabis results can stay in bloodstream up to 30 days.Who and when that entity is ready to announce the qualitys I.e.% of impairment,w hen can you fly the airliner?Will you get hired at let's say 20% residue of the "cannabis vacation to Amsterdam" scenario.Lots to iron out,gonna be hard to "legally legalize" in my opinion.