Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old January 6, 2017   #106
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Intake air low exhaust air high.

What on earth did you do to your avatar (TIGGER) imp?
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6, 2017   #107
MissS
Tomatovillian™

Imp, I see that you are ready for the Swap!

I love your new look...

Hooper
Old January 6, 2017   #108
imp
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
Intake air low exhaust air high.

What on earth did you do to your avatar (TIGGER) imp?
Now I am a Tigger Shark, circling around looking for that special boat....

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissS View Post
Imp, I see that you are ready for the Swap!

I love your new look...

Hooper
Yep, my avatar s more healthy than I am right now, but that'll pass, LOL! I have to get healthy so I can eat the boat. <grin>

Could you put some avocado slices, maybe even some bacon and a spritz of ranch dressing along the transom area? I do like some avocado with my wood chips....
imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6, 2017   #109
murihikukid
Tomatovillian™

Default Spraying soon..??

Imp...I am also concerned about the hot weather if it arrives..i can have fans up top or fans lower down ..I have enough...
So I have moved everything to one end in the greenhouse ....I am going up to get the Jeyes Fluid or equivilant now...and when I return I will sweep out the floor and put curtains up to stop the spray moving forward...I will have to put something across the back door to stop the wind blowing the spray BUT I am hoping the wind will die down in early evening which should help any risks...I will delay spraying until this happens......If any body has any final instructions please send soon ...As I understand I spray top to bottom??? I better get some masks for myself also... Cheers Ron
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN2872.jpg (594.6 KB, 36 views)

Last edited by murihikukid; January 6, 2017 at 11:02 PM.
murihikukid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7, 2017   #110
imp
Tomatovillian™

Don't sweep the floor- any spores that are there will b air born if you sweep!

Don't worry about a curtain if you use a mild bleach spray. Spray top to bottom, then floor. Then you can sweep, even may re spray the floor after sweeping.

Spray down or dunk all your tools if you can, spores can linger on tools too.

Wipe off the outside of your pots and containers as you start to move to the "clean" side, get any sickly plants outside to either live there or die off. Clean all surfaces and any table legs as well. Turn a fan or two on the remaining plants after you have cleaned and spaced the plants out away from each other to get air circulation.

You seem to have a huge disease load, so start a spray program and be preventative instead of waiting for signs and symptoms to show up.

Bleach spray just kills what is there right at the moment- it can reinfect, so a preemptive program is needed; use 2 different sprays and follow your schedule religiously. Ask others on here about a spray program and what to use.

Do not crowd plants, do not over water, do not bring in any plants from else where without doing a quarantine time with them to be sure they have no diseases- and you have plenty of plants in there now.
Old January 7, 2017   #111
murihikukid
Tomatovillian™

imp..What a waste of time and money ...I shifted all the druma etc outside and all the tomatoes inside the house last evening then sweep and vacuumed the floor then went to bed.....I set the alarm for 8am and when I woke up I set the sprayer up which is brand new but not working properly and its blowing and pouring with rain so its blowing rain inside I could not have picked a worse day.>>My main concern is my tomatoes and to be honest they have probably got more damaged with this exercise than with any disease...I wore protective clothing gloves mask etc ...but I have more Jeyes fluid on me than the greenhouse has..I had to climb a ladder every couple of metres to get up to the upper reaches and my glasses fogged up so i could not see properly and heres me with spray on my gloves etc ....anyway I have only the floor to do now so I am going to wash in the rain (the bathroom is full of Tomatoes) and have some breakfast then I will mix another 5 litres of jeyes fluid up and do the floor...Then I have to hope that the rain stops and the greenhouse dries out cause the tomatoes will not be liking it all sqashed up inside together...and if they have disease surely they will take it back out there...Have you got a farm??? I cannot do what you ask in my small house especially in this weather ...Its absolutely disgusting ...Here it is the middle of summer and we are having winter weather apart from the temperature and even then it was so cold a few days ago the rain was more like hail...

I am afraid I will just have to take my chances.....I have probably already said this but no more outside (IE Plants from Garden Centres ) Tomatoes again...I told the manager of the garden centre when she asked how I got diseases when I bought the Jeyes Fluid ...and I told her ....from her and other Garden centres ...She denied that they had powdered mildew on their plants yet a worker had shown me flowers with it...Whether its the same as on my Tomatoes..I do not know......Its all denial with these people...If I had a motor instead of a bike I would go to other Garden Centres ...who could be more responsible..

Cheers ron

Last edited by murihikukid; January 7, 2017 at 03:56 PM.
Old January 7, 2017   #112
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

I did a little reading about your climate. It looks like a very difficult place to grow tomatoes. Your mean daily temperature for January is only 57F. At temps that cold, tomatoes are going to need a greenhouse environment to do very well, and probably still need to be heated at night.

The real damage that cold weather does to plants, especially in containers, is at the bacterial level. Beneficial bacteria are aerobic and thrive at warm temperatures. But when it is cold, anaerobic bacteria take over. And that's when everything goes downhill. I think what you are seeing with your disease/nutrient problems is largely a side effect of letting the plants get too cold.

If you are going to be a greenhouse grower, there are greenhouse tomato varieties adapted to those conditions. If you want to try growing in colder temperatures, there are also varieties more well-adapted to cold.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7, 2017   #113
murihikukid
Tomatovillian™

Yes..But it has not always been like this and the man that mows the front lawn tells me his tomato crop is one of the best ever???.I recall two seasons ago we had a great summer and I had a good Tomato crop... This is terrible weather for summer and it seems to me that our seasons are now all completely out of line....I keep saying ...our late winter and spring were exceptional and I always thought we would pay for it but not as bad as it is...I recall in my youth we went to a seaside resort for Xmas and I always got sunburnt from beautiful sunshine now all I get is terrible windburn .....Thats why planting late does not concern me greatly as no doubt summer will arrive but when and for how long...The Greenhouse will help me but it still needs work ...I intend to use tape to cover gaps etc ....I was going to use Gorilla tape but to my amazement its not available here???? Gorilla glue/Adhesive is ...I note somebody has it for sale on our Trademe online auction system but the seller is in the UK...and lists free shipping....WITHIN NZ.....what a have....of course its free shipping within NZ if its sent from the UK...well not really cause it will be incorporated into the UK to NZ shipping cost...typical signs of still regarding us as colonials??

Yes Stupice is supposed to be a variety that would be ideal here but the seeds I have are not propagating and here again I suspect the seeds I purchased last season were not only not true to label but also diseased cause I had a terrible time last season with diseases...

I am just trying to get the enwergy to spray the floor of my greenhouse...I am hoping that 8 hours will be long enough to wait till I put my tomatoes back in...I presume the only danger would be from drips from above and surely they would have dried by then...All containers will all be off the floor so I am not worried about that...I am worried about my cat...hopefully he does not go out there...

Cheers Ron
Old January 7, 2017   #114
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Most tape I know of doesn't last very long in the sun, even the kind for greenhouse poly. If you can obtain any scraps of greenhouse poly, stapling them up over gaps would be the easiest fix.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7, 2017   #115
murihikukid
Tomatovillian™

Hi..I doubt if staples go into steel or alloy....But you are right ..tapes I have tried certainly do not last so probably an adhesive contact glue like Ados F1 would be the way to go....I have just put covers over the back door and what a difference..thats where the wind is really coming in ...I am washing the freezer fronts etc that the plants sit on ...taking them into the greenhouse and spraying them ...The Jeyes Fluid is starting to affect me.... The washing machine drums are next ...i will check them for cleanliness ...they will finally have plants in them but meantime they serve as stands when the freezer fronts are put across two of them....
Tomorrow the General Manager of the Hardware Store (which the gardening centre is part of) may come around about the plants I bought from them so i really want everything tidy (at least inside the greenhouse ) if she comes round......
Just watched a BBC concert...Sammy Davis Jnr..gee that man certainly had talent...Been interested in music all my life and first time I have actually watched him perform...amazing entertainer..

Cheers Ron..
Old January 8, 2017   #116
imp
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by murihikukid View Post
imp..What a waste of time and money ...I shifted all the druma etc outside and all the tomatoes inside the house last evening then sweep and vacuumed the floor then went to bed.....I set the alarm for 8am and when I woke up I set the sprayer up which is brand new but not working properly and its blowing and pouring with rain so its blowing rain inside I could not have picked a worse day.>>My main concern is my tomatoes and to be honest they have probably got more damaged with this exercise than with any disease...I wore protective clothing gloves mask etc ...but I have more Jeyes fluid on me than the greenhouse has..I had to climb a ladder every couple of metres to get up to the upper reaches and my glasses fogged up so i could not see properly and heres me with spray on my gloves etc ....anyway I have only the floor to do now so I am going to wash in the rain (the bathroom is full of Tomatoes) and have some breakfast then I will mix another 5 litres of jeyes fluid up and do the floor...Then I have to hope that the rain stops and the greenhouse dries out cause the tomatoes will not be liking it all sqashed up inside together...and if they have disease surely they will take it back out there...Have you got a farm??? I cannot do what you ask in my small house especially in this weather ...Its absolutely disgusting ...Here it is the middle of summer and we are having winter weather apart from the temperature and even then it was so cold a few days ago the rain was more like hail...

I am afraid I will just have to take my chances.....I have probably already said this but no more outside (IE Plants from Garden Centres ) Tomatoes again...I told the manager of the garden centre when she asked how I got diseases when I bought the Jeyes Fluid ...and I told her ....from her and other Garden centres ...She denied that they had powdered mildew on their plants yet a worker had shown me flowers with it...Whether its the same as on my Tomatoes..I do not know......Its all denial with these people...If I had a motor instead of a bike I would go to other Garden Centres ...who could be more responsible..

Cheers ron
Why did you use Jeye's Fluid instead of bleach? Did you sweep the green house floor before spraying it?

Haven't farmed in years. Why?
Old January 8, 2017   #117
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Sammy started out as a little boy working the shows.
He entertained in places but was never allowed to stay or golf there because of his race.
All of the Black entertainers had to say some place else.

Matter of fact I had a few friends tell me I was the first white mans house they had ever sat down in and had a meal.
Very sad.
Old January 8, 2017   #118
murihikukid
Tomatovillian™

imp...the weather is getting me down Everything is done ..washed, sprayed,and the Tomatoes are all back in the greenhouse ...It was not as bad as I thought ,,,Everybody uses Jeyes Fluid here for greenhouses??...Why a farm...I thought you must have plenty of space ?? thankfully my plants look as though the experience did them no harm ...Me..I am tired out with my feet in a bucket of warm water with dish wash (no baking soda)...Now to start repotting .....
Cheers Ron
Old January 8, 2017   #119
murihikukid
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
Sammy started out as a little boy working the shows.
He entertained in places but was never allowed to stay or golf there because of his race.
All of the Black entertainers had to say some place else.

Matter of fact I had a few friends tell me I was the first white mans house they had ever sat down in and had a meal.
Very sad.
Worth1 ...What can I say except you are indeed a good man.......I wonder if my grrenhouse needs lights...6500K 24W 1800LM....LED....any good??? cheers Ron
Old January 8, 2017   #120
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by murihikukid View Post
Worth1 ...What can I say except you are indeed a good man.......I wonder if my grrenhouse needs lights...6500K 24W 1800LM....LED....any good??? cheers Ron
I dont know if I should take credit for being someone we all should be, I would call it normal.
To be good you have to go beyond normal.
Are you a good person and receive reward for helping people or is it just the right thing to do?
If they hauled me into court and asked me if I have ever said the N word I would have to say yes but words are only words actions are actions.
Sammy had to jump through many hurtles to get were he was and put up with a lot of garbage.
His daughter wrote a book about his life I am going to get it and people should read it.
Heck I would consider it required reading.
As for my perspective I have spent untold hours with folks old and young and basically interviewed them by way of conversation.
Even spent Christmas day with people and exchanged gifts.
They considered me family and opened up to me about how they felt.
You would be amazed.

As for the lights in the green house I wouldn't know why you would need them.
I have to commend you for taking what most people would call a pile of scraps and turning it into something useful.
Worth