Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old May 12, 2015   #106
Al@NC
Tomatovillian™

Heirloomtomaguy, you'll have to let us know how the Purple Haze comparison goes and whether or not the OP is better or worse.

Also, by chance do you remember where you got your Zachary seed? Tatiana doesn't have a page for it except to point to Heritage Tomato Seed where there isn't a page either. I'm curious about this tomato as I have a son named Zackary who turns 2 in Sept...

Al
Al@NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2015   #107
heirloomtomaguy
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al@NC View Post
Heirloomtomaguy, you'll have to let us know how the Purple Haze comparison goes and whether or not the OP is better or worse.

Also, by chance do you remember where you got your Zachary seed? Tatiana doesn't have a page for it except to point to Heritage Tomato Seed where there isn't a page either. I'm curious about this tomato as I have a son named Zackary who turns 2 in Sept...

Al
I got my seeds from a tomato someone gave me. I will check to see how many if any i have when i get off work tonight. If i can spare a few they are yours.
“Enter by the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and there are many who go in by it. Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it."
heirloomtomaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2015   #108
Al@NC
Tomatovillian™

That would be awesome!
Old May 17, 2015   #109
Al@NC
Tomatovillian™

Heirloomtomaguy, By chance did you have any extra?

Thanks,
Al
Old May 18, 2015   #110
heirloomtomaguy
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Heirloomtomaguy, By chance did you have any extra?

Thanks,
Al
Sorry Al this weekend went crazy for me. Just checked right now and i have some extras i can spare pm me you address and i will send them out tomorrow.
“Enter by the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and there are many who go in by it. Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it."
Old May 19, 2015   #111
Al@NC
Tomatovillian™

Your awesome heirloomtomaguy, your one of the people that make this such a great community!
Old May 19, 2015   #112
heirloomtomaguy
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Your awesome heirloomtomaguy, your one of the people that make this such a great community!
Thanks Al. Seeds are in the mail and should be there in a ciuple days. By the way i laugh everytime i see that little dog wearing a Donald Trump comb over.
Old May 19, 2015   #113
Al@NC
Tomatovillian™

Thanks again and glad to make you smile!
Old May 20, 2015   #114
AZGardener
Tomatovillian™

Here is Phx our season might have another month + left? All depends on the temps... Anyhow, Black from Tula has given me 12 beefsteaks with another 6-10 on the plant. Chocolate Stripes has 3, Paul Robeson 4, Cherokee Purple 15, Black Seaman 3, and Black Vernissage 3 but its starting to set like mad. Kind of a different season for us due to the flip flopping of heat followed by coolness and rain but it seems to be extending our season a bit. Next year I will plant Black from Tula again because it went gangbusters... I'm thinking if I move Chocolate Stripes it will do better too? Love the dark tomatoes though
Old May 20, 2015   #115
pauldavid
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZGardener View Post
Here is Phx our season might have another month + left? All depends on the temps... Anyhow, Black from Tula has given me 12 beefsteaks with another 6-10 on the plant. Chocolate Stripes has 3, Paul Robeson 4, Cherokee Purple 15, Black Seaman 3, and Black Vernissage 3 but its starting to set like mad. Kind of a different season for us due to the flip flopping of heat followed by coolness and rain but it seems to be extending our season a bit. Next year I will plant Black from Tula again because it went gangbusters... I'm thinking if I move Chocolate Stripes it will do better too? Love the dark tomatoes though
I am glad to hear that you are having a good season and good luck!
pauldavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2015   #116
Al@NC
Tomatovillian™

AZgardener, thanks for the info. I'm sure my results will be different due to the cold nights and much less sun than you have. I have to admit thought that I'm expecting big things from my cherokee purples

I'm hoping to find a black that will just be a clear leader in production here in WA state. I'll post back my results as the season gets going here.
Old March 8, 2016   #117
Al@NC
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharonRossy View Post
I'm not growing Black Cherry for the first time in years. I'm trying Kiss The Sky, Purple Bumble Bee, Margaret Curtain, Bear Creek, Indian Stripe.
Sharon, how did Kiss the Sky, Margaret Curtain and Indian Stripe turn out for you last season?

The Black Krim plant that I bought at my local nursery put out more tomatoes than any of my other blacks and they didn't crack! It was nice hot dry summer for me so no cracking... I planted out a bit early with Cherokee Purple and Carbon so they were stunted, overcrowded and didn't produce many.

Black and Brown Boar had decent production for me but I just didn't care for the taste, it was bland.

Black Prince was ok, and had moderate production.

@heirloomtomaguy, how did your test of Kiss the Sky vs. Purple Haze vs. Zackery, etc turn out?

Al
Old March 8, 2016   #118
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Now that 2015 season is history, as I look back from all the popular black/brown tomatoes that I have grown BLACK FROM TULA has been the winner in my garden. Quite productive, good taste and also early. I am going to grow 2 of them this year.
I will be trying out IS, Black Seaman and Daniel Burson.

Gardeneer
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9, 2016   #119
Lindalana
Tomatovillian™

I have a number of new Blacks this season. Last year Black Magic was my absolute fave. Healthy till the end and loaded.
Lindalana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9, 2016   #120
Al@NC
Tomatovillian™

Black Magic and several others look great at SecretSeedCartel!

Terry @ SSC said that Carbon used to be her favorite but Owen's Purple is now...

Thanks for the vote for Black Magic.

@Gardeneer, I'll have to wait until next year to try Tula, by chance have you tried Margaret Curtain yet? Oh, and please let me know how Daniel Burson works out, I'm too chicken it to try it this year given the DTM..

Al

Last edited by Al@NC; March 9, 2016 at 12:26 AM.