Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion about canning and dehydrating tomatoes and other garden vegetables and fruits. DISCLAIMER: SOME RECIPES MAY NOT COMPLY WITH CURRENT FOOD SAFETY GUIDELINES - FOLLOW AT YOUR OWN RISK

Old February 20, 2014   #106
Durgan
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by northernimpala View Post
thank you for the response, I see that you use the pressure canner for almost everything, are they costly and where can I get one?
http://www.amazon.ca/National-Presto.../dp/B0000BYCFU
Presto 23-Quart Pressure Canner

Perfect for seven quarts at one time. Foolproof and should last forever is used properly.
Durgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20, 2014   #107
Durgan
Tomatovillian™

Default Pressure cookers or canners.

http://www.durgan.org/URL/?BDUGG 18 April 2012 Pressure Cooker
Pressure cookers have got a bad name, since when cooking items like peas and beans the rocker hole can get plugged from small particles like skins bubbling up blocking the exit, pressure builds up and the safety valve blows and scares people away. When the safety valve blows there is as miserable mess to clean up, usually from the ceiling of the kitchen.

To eliminate the blocking problem, I use a colander with the handles knocked off. Handles are knocked off with a sharp blow from a hammer, since they are only spot welded. When inserted into the pressure cooker, there is about two to three inches for the water, which doesn’t touch any food placed in the calendar, hence the items are steam cooked, and no bubbling occurs. My colander has been in operation for over 20 years. I have also used the all steel butterfly steam device with feet. It is equally as effective.

The gasket should last for the life of the pressure cooker if a film of vegetable oil is applied to the metal surface, where the gasket sits prior to use. Also the lid should never be used loose to cover the pot, since heat builds up and destroys the gasket. The pressure cooker may be used as a boiling pot, but never use the gasketed lid as a cover.

The best cooker on the market is the Presto, since it has a dead simple effective closing mechanism. Some of the new types now on the market are complicated with silly elaborate safety devices which are a recipe for trouble down the line, and serve no real purpose.

One more caveat. The bottom of the pot can get warped if placed on high heat with no water, or the water gets all evaporated. If this occurs the pot will not sit flat on the heating surface. There is a bulge.

To finish off a roast or some other products, I do the cooking in the pressure cooker and add any condiments or whatever in another pot to complete the cooking process. In other words all the pressure cooker contains is the product and water for steam cooking.

When beginning the cooking process, let all the air out of the cooker by operating for five or ten minutes without the rocker in place, then apply the rocker for the appropriate cooking time. Air inside the cooker will create an insulation and uneven cooking. I cook everything at 15 PSI so never have to adjust for some lower pressure by controlling the heat. This may be overkill but it simplifies operation.

Here is the two cookers that I have.
http://www.durgan.org/URL/?SJYCT Common use.
http://www.durgan.org/URL/?CIBMF Canner.
I have experienced all the problems mentioned at one time in my life, so my comments are from very practical experience.
Old February 22, 2014   #108
northernimpala
Tomatovillian™

Thanx for all the info. I think it pay for itself over time as well as providing good preserving.
northernimpala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10, 2014   #109
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

The farmer at the local CSA is actually harvesting the purslane growing in the beds and offering it for sale this year. I guess if you can't beat it...

She was giving out sample bags of it today and until I looked at it I had no idea what it was--the "weed" I've been pulling out of my beds! She's been using it in soups and salads, adding it to smoothies, and last night she added it to a curry. I haven't quite decided how to use it yet, but I may start with tomorrow morning's smoothie.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10, 2014   #110
Lorri D
Tomatovillian™

I got mine from botanical interests and it grew well. I like it in small quantities, so I am not sure I will actually designate a spot for it next year though. Lorri D

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Purslane Golden Organic Seeds
(Portulaca oleracea sativa)

This domesticated, non-invasive purslane with large, succulent leaves contains vitamins A and C, a variety of minerals, and omega-3 fatty acids. Though similar to wild purslane in its high nutritional value, it is not your garden-variety weed. Golden Purslane grows relatively tall for easier harvest and its flavor is less tangy. A good container variety, and a fabulous way to expand your salad greens selection!
Lorri D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11, 2014   #111
peppero
Tomatovillian™

I had some show up likely from the cow manure I hauled in. I will let it spread. and join in with chickweed and henbit.

jon
peppero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12, 2014   #112
ChristinaJo
Tomatovillian™

I've got the Golden upright purslane. It planted it once and never had to replant. Love it!(so do the chickens)
ChristinaJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21, 2015   #113
Durgan
Tomatovillian™

Default Juice Kale Collards Escarole Basil Celery

http://www.durgan.org/2015/June%2020...20Celery/HTML/ 15 June 2015 Juice Kale Collards Escarole Basil Celery
The current vegetables in the garden were made into 20 liters of juice, and pressure canned at 15 PSI for 15 minutes for long term storage at room temperature. Vegetables were Collards 4 pounds, Kale 7 pounds, Escarole 4 pounds, Basil 1/4 pound, Celery 4 pounds. All were cooked until soft and beat into a slurry then stained and stored in liter jars. Pictures depict the process.

Old June 21, 2015   #114
digsdirt
Tomatovillian™

Just curious how you calculated that processing time? Does your altitude require 15 lbs or did you just choose that pressure? I would think it would need much longer, even @15 lbs. since it is all low-acid ingredients with no added acid.

Dave
Old June 21, 2015   #115
Durgan
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by digsdirt View Post
Just curious how you calculated that processing time? Does your altitude require 15 lbs or did you just choose that pressure? I would think it would need much longer, even @15 lbs. since it is all low-acid ingredients with no added acid.

Dave
I completely ignore pressure and time charts. The criteria is to achieve 240F for at least 15 minutes. This kills all bacteria. I never do water bath canning.

I pay close attention to the pressure canning. This is how I do it.

First everything pressure canned is a drinkable slurry creating a homogenous product.
The product is placed in the pressure cooker without the rocker in place until the steam runs out of the vent, this is set to 45 minutes. When about 20 minutes of time is left the rocker is put in place and pressure builds up to 15 PSI, at about 15 minutes left, then I do my timing or adjust time a bit if necessary.

All jars are checked for sealing prior to opening for use. I never have an unsealed jar.

I have consumed about 2000 liter jars of products, since about 2010 and am very much alive. Here is my efforts if you are interested. http://durgan.org/2011/

The pressure and time is probably too long, but it is effective and practicable. I also re-use lids, since a seal is a seal no matter how achieved.
Old June 21, 2015   #116
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

Yummy!

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22, 2015   #117
bjbebs
Tomatovillian™

My wife juices much of the excess garden produce.
She is now using chard, kale and collards.
The liquid is frozen for use in soups and the pulp goes into
the soup pot or compost pile.
When the heat burns out the lettuce and spinach it sure
is nice to have other leafy greens that hold up.
bjbebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22, 2015   #118
Durgan
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjbebs View Post
My wife juices much of the excess garden produce.
She is now using chard, kale and collards.
The liquid is frozen for use in soups and the pulp goes into
the soup pot or compost pile.
When the heat burns out the lettuce and spinach it sure
is nice to have other leafy greens that hold up.
Wow. A fellow traveler. Pictures of her effort would be appreciated.

Next from my garden alone is carrots, beets, eggplant, more greens, green beans.

Garden fruit is gooseberries, grapes, black currants.
Old July 2, 2015   #119
Durgan
Tomatovillian™

Default Garden Vegetable Juice

http://www.durgan.org/2015/July%2020...%20Juice/HTML/ 2 July 2014 Garden Vegetable Juice
Twenty eight liters of garden vegetables were processed into juice and pressure canned at 15 PSI for 15 minutes for long term storage for use in the off season. Process was to cook, beat into a slurry, food mill strain, Champion juicer strain, pour into liter jars and pressure can. The ingredients were garlic, onions,collards, carrots, beets, celery, basil, kale, dill. All from the garden.Pictures depict the process.
Old July 2, 2015   #120
digsdirt
Tomatovillian™

Everything gets juiced? Can I ask why?

Maybe if I was on a liquids only diet but I love my canned carrots, canned collards, pickled beets, and dilled garlic. And dehydrated carrots and onions, not mention dried herbs, can be used in hundreds of ways in the winter. Seasoned and dehydrated kale chips are also great.

Dave