Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old March 30, 2014   #106
bughunter99
Tomatovillian™

It reached 50 out there today! SO nice to be outside without a coat!

The tomatoes had their first field trip outdoors for a few hours today. I kept them in the shade because the sun was pretty bright. (I forgot my sunscreen and got red today) DOH

There is still snow on the north side of the house, but tonight I am letting the lettuce, broccoli, kale and onions stay outside in the pop-up greenhouse. At least that is my current plan. If the 10 pm weather man says it will go below 30 tonight I will be out there in my jammies hauling them back in.

Stacy
bughunter99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30, 2014   #107
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

I toyed with the idea of setting up my mini four tier greenhouse and putting the onions out in it today, but between the rain and the wind I decided to stay in and watch tomato seeds sprout. Forty-three (out of 80) and counting!
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31, 2014   #108
Sharpcheddar
Tomatovillian™

I took my seedlings out and let them get a little real sunlight today
Sharpcheddar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1, 2014   #109
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

The entire crew , tomatoes, peppers, eggplant, etc. camped outside all last night. Daytime high was 75 and it didn't go below 54 at night. Today the cold front came thru mid afternoon and now it's 29 with a forecast high of 34 tomorrow. The wind tore my screen door off and fingers crossed the front door doesn't get blown open.

- Lisa
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1, 2014   #110
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

I started moving tomato seedlings into 6-packs. They take up a lot more space after transplanting, so it gets much harder to provide heat for them if needed. I don't see any freezing temps in the next two weeks, so I am hoping for the best. If we have another 20 degree night, I might have to fill up my house for the night with plants. I counted 15 flats of tomatoes in cell trays tonight, about 700 plants, with a lot more to go.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1, 2014   #111
SharonRossy
Tomatovillian™

Still freezing here. I'm still trying to negotiate space once I start transplanting. I was going to put them in 4" pots. Any recommendations? I'll probably end up with at least 120 plants which is a lot for me.
SharonRossy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1, 2014   #112
bower
Tomatovillian™

Sharon, I switched to beer cups from 4" pots because they have a slightly smaller footprint on the limited windowledge space, for about the same volume of soil. The 4 inch pots weren't a good fit for 1020 trays either which would only take 10 and the rest of space wasted (3 inch pots fit perfectly but a bit small for tomatoes). I can squeeze 15 beer cups into a 1020, which is okay until they start to get bigger.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1, 2014   #113
SharonRossy
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the suggestion. Space is going to be a huge problem once they're potted up. I need more light. Tthe other problem is the lamp pm using with the compact fluorescent light. I need to find something that allows the whole bulb to be exposed. Any suggestions?
Old April 1, 2014   #114
jakebb
Tomatovillian™

Was skimming an article on accuweather and came across this wonderful little revelation
"If there is a zone that stays chilly more often than not through much of April, it will be the area from the northern Plains to the Upper Midwest and interior Northeast"
We got off easy this winter though, compared to other places, so I'm not going to complain to much.
Most of my peppers have germinated, though a few of the pepperoncini are being difficult. Actually, they might be jalapeno, I forgot to label them. But I think they are the pepperoncini. I'm glad I didn't buy that heat mat.

Last edited by jakebb; April 2, 2014 at 04:51 PM.
jakebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1, 2014   #115
beeman
Tomatovillian™

Default First for me....

Today I started gardening. So, nothing unusual about that, just for the first time ever wearing my SNOWSHOES
I had sown my greenhouse tomatoes in the house, planning to get them into the greenhouse 3 weeks ago. Finally in desperation I got the shoes out to cope with the 3 feet of snow still covering the garden.
beeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2, 2014   #116
bower
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharonRossy View Post
Thanks for the suggestion. Space is going to be a huge problem once they're potted up. I need more light. Tthe other problem is the lamp pm using with the compact fluorescent light. I need to find something that allows the whole bulb to be exposed. Any suggestions?
Sharon, I found the best deal was on shop lights which are 4' long, take two bulbs, and have a cheap white reflector to direct the light downwards. I believe T8 was the old model and the new one which I got is T12, with a more efficient ballast therefore some energy savings. These fixtures retail for under $20 while every other length including shorter ones was more expensive. The bulbs can cost as much as $10 a pair. Best deal on fixtures and bulbs in my area is at Home Depot, coming to about $25 for the two.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2, 2014   #117
Got Worms?
Tomatovillian™

I've shovelled the snow and ice off of my beds and scraped off the partly frozen blanket of leaves that I covered them with last fall. If they don't thaw out pretty soon, I'll have to use a drill to get my soil sample this year!

In the house, I just finished sowing peas in small yogurt cups, while six-4 week old baby chicks languish in the greenhouse. The tomatoes, peppers, eggplant, leeks, onions, and sweet potato starts are all doing well. As for the garlic, I started it last fall, so nothing more needs to be done there.

I have 10ea. 3.8 cu. ft. bales of peat moss still in my trailer, for the garden. No need to unload it yet.

I'm also waiting on the thaw so, that I can set up my trommel and sift two large piles of compost from last year.

Other that that I've just been loafin'.

Charlie
Got Worms? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2, 2014   #118
JLJ_
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by beeman View Post
Today I started gardening. So, nothing unusual about that, just for the first time ever wearing my SNOWSHOES
I had sown my greenhouse tomatoes in the house, planning to get them into the greenhouse 3 weeks ago. Finally in desperation I got the shoes out to cope with the 3 feet of snow still covering the garden.

I hope you were able to have someone get a picture, for your family archives if for nothing else. Would have to be an image that says "Determined Gardener" like nothing else could!
JLJ_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2, 2014   #119
jakebb
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by bower View Post
Sharon, I found the best deal was on shop lights which are 4' long, take two bulbs, and have a cheap white reflector to direct the light downwards. I believe T8 was the old model and the new one which I got is T12, with a more efficient ballast therefore some energy savings. These fixtures retail for under $20 while every other length including shorter ones was more expensive. The bulbs can cost as much as $10 a pair. Best deal on fixtures and bulbs in my area is at Home Depot, coming to about $25 for the two.
I think you might have that mixed up. T8's are the newer, slimmer bulbs and T12's are the older, bigger bulbs.
jakebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2, 2014   #120
SharonRossy
Tomatovillian™

Planning on checking it out. I was also contemplating using 12 oz styrofoam coffee cups for some of my seedlings until I can get my hands on the other pots. I have some seedlings that got tall quickly and before they get too leggy I'm thinking of putting them in the cups. Recommendations?