Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old January 4, 2016   #106
goodwin
Tomatovillian™

Father'sDaughter,

That will make a difference. Tomatoes are very adaptable, but there seems to be a range. Take that Banded Amazon of mine, which showed up on this thread. It is a popular variety here with several other market growers like Khalsa Greenhouses and Bodhi Farm. It has also adapted well to greenhouse growing in Alaska. But, apparently, with high humidity and heat, it is a different story. One parent is Arbuznyi, a cold-tolerant Russian tomato which gets off to a great early start, but then shuts down in the heat, which might explain things.
Every year is different as well. Last summer we might as well have been growing tomatoes in the Pacific Northwest, it was so cool and rainy. And this is the high desert! Anyway, always an adventure.

Lee
goodwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5, 2016   #107
Gerardo
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Father'sDaughter View Post
Full disclosure -- I do live less than 100 from our Great Enabler who introduced the variety, so we grow in similar conditions weather-wise, at least.
If it comes from the G.E. then I'll definitely give it another shot during a different part of the season and with preemptive hand holding. I'll also feed it copious amounts of Neptune's so it doesn't miss the Cape.

It sure looks pretty.
Gerardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5, 2016   #108
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlittleSalt View Post
I think I'm getting close to...a tentative...nooo. Okay, but... One more day of researching and...

It is fun making a tomato growing list. There are so many factors. You want to grow plants that do well in your neck of the woods, but some others just look so appealing . And then there are the popular ones - those with glowing recommendations - ones from other countries with like growing conditions - ones you traded with people half way around the globe. This one grows thorns, and that one has foliage that looks like a fir tree. Somewhere in the mix, you want to grow out some of your personal F2 and F3s, and crosses. And grow out others' crosses. Try the "Better than Sungold" varieties...etc.

Then there is how to grow all those tomatoes. Stakes, cages, weaves, etc. Can you afford the water bill?

I'm hoping my wife and I can come up with a tomato growing list by this coming weekend.
Robert, for you the time is getting real close. But I have 6-7 weeks.

Yeah, after making the list and germinating, raising the seedlings, then comes the hard part ; plant out and how to support your plants. Anyway you cut it , it will take a lot of material and efforts. . I am only going to grow 28 plants in RBeds and about 10 more in pots. Multi-staking/ gridding is the way I do it.
But if you are growing in a big field, w/ long rows then you will have different ways.

As far as my list goes ; I am short just by one : Big Beef, then I am done.

Gardeneer
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5, 2016   #109
sjamesNorway
Tomatovillian™

Default SNFLA

Here's a thread with a discussion of SNFLA and Tormato's description in post 45.

http://tomatoville.com/showthread.ph...e+apple&page=3

Checking my notes, it seems people either love it or hate it. Father'sDaughter and Tormato are very positive, Nicky gives it a 6, while charline says "worst of all" and Gerardo has disease problems. I guess it's just one of those you have to try under your own conditions.
sjamesNorway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5, 2016   #110
kath
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjamesNorway View Post
Here's a thread with a discussion of SNFLA and Tormato's description in post 45.

http://tomatoville.com/showthread.ph...e+apple&page=3

Checking my notes, it seems people either love it or hate it. Father'sDaughter and Tormato are very positive, Nicky gives it a 6, while charline says "worst of all" and Gerardo has disease problems. I guess it's just one of those you have to try under your own conditions.
Fortyonenorth loved it, too, and shared seeds with me. I tried twice and it just did nothing for me.
kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5, 2016   #111
roper2008
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
And you already know that I also have seeds for Sheryl's Portuguese Red Heart, which we named together and you also know why I wanted those seeds after seeing her pictures about two years ago as well.

All to say that she sent me enough seeds to make a direct offer in my next seed offer here, hopefully coming up in a week or two bc I'm still waiting for some 2015 ones to be returned to me.

Great looking varieties, and quite a few I know very well, so let's hope for a great summer tomato season for you,my seed producers and everyone here at Tville.

Carolyn

AMEN!
roper2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5, 2016   #112
nancyruhl
Tomatovillian™

The only list I have nailed down is the on for the roof top gutter garden at church. I doubled the size of the garden last year, and have 27 pails for tomatoes already. That could be expanded if I redid things a bit. Soon it will look like Craig's driveway.
BETALUX
CHEROKEE TIGER LARGE
*CHOCOLATE LIGHTNING
COASTAL PRIDE ORANGE
DWARF ARCTIC ROSE
*DWARF BLAZING BEAUTY
*DWARF PINK PASSION
*DWARF PURPLE HEART
DWARF SCARLET HEART
*DWARF SWEET SUE
DWARF WILD FRED
*FRED'S TIE DYE
MAGLIA ROSE
NEW BIG DWARF
*PIT VIPER
ROSELLA CRIMSON
ROSELLA PURPLE
*SEAN'S YELLOW DWARF
SLEEPING LADY
SUMMERTIME GOLD
SWEET SCARLET DWARF
*ULURU OCHRE
WHEROKOWHAI
YUKON QUEST
Then I have a couple of unnamed varieties and another cherry. Starred varieties are new this year

Last edited by nancyruhl; January 5, 2016 at 09:47 AM. Reason: add info.
nancyruhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5, 2016   #113
roper2008
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
Nice list, if it were me I would omit either the sweet one million or the super sweet 100.
The sweet one million is just an improved version of sweet 100 and super sweet 100 is just an improved version of sweet 100.
Super sweet is VF and sweet one million is VNT.
Both are less susceptible to cracking than sweet 100.
So for me the choice would be sweet million and sweet quartz.
Two different tomatoes.
Worth
Thanks for the advice. I have not grown any of them.
roper2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5, 2016   #114
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

I have grown both Sweet 100 and Super Sweet 100. There is a definite difference in the amount of cracking. Sweet 100 cracks/splits more often. Both varieties can grow really large (Wide and tall). Overwatering will make the foliage grow overly dense and will need some pruning to get air flow.

We are going to try the Sweet Million this year.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5, 2016   #115
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by kath View Post
Fortyonenorth loved it, too, and shared seeds with me. I tried twice and it just did nothing for me.
Nicky does have the correct variety, but the yellow shoulders tells me it didn't have the best growing conditions. The interior should look like that (or have even less locules)...For myself, I save seeds from tomatoes that have only one locule, which is usually near the center of the tomato...I get a one locule tomato once every couple of years, and only about 4-5 seeds from that tomato.

My soil (pH about 5?) and weather conditions are just about perfect for SNFLA. In the many years of trials... hot, cold, sunny, cloudy, wet, dry...I've only had one 10 day span of lousy tasting fruit, due to the days and days of rain prior to that.

I'm wondering if Charline has a cross or the wrong type. And, for those who may trial it, it is not a sweet tomato, if you happen to only like sweet tomatoes.
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5, 2016   #116
kath
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tormato View Post
Nicky does have the correct variety, but the yellow shoulders tells me it didn't have the best growing conditions. The interior should look like that (or have even less locules)...For myself, I save seeds from tomatoes that have only one locule, which is usually near the center of the tomato...I get a one locule tomato once every couple of years, and only about 4-5 seeds from that tomato.

My soil (pH about 5?) and weather conditions are just about perfect for SNFLA. In the many years of trials... hot, cold, sunny, cloudy, wet, dry...I've only had one 10 day span of lousy tasting fruit, due to the days and days of rain prior to that.

I'm wondering if Charline has a cross or the wrong type. And, for those who may trial it, it is not a sweet tomato, if you happen to only like sweet tomatoes.
My photos of SNFLA are in post #136 here:

http://www.tomatoville.com/showthrea...t=24566&page=5

kath
Old January 5, 2016   #117
Garf
Tomatovillian™

It is the start of growing season in Miami, Fl. Since I am winding down, I will only plant a few this year. I started with 14 Everglades seeds and got 11 starts over a month. I have 3 in large pots and 2 in 11 gallon tubs. I will soon start Bloody Butcher. I have 3 XL pots for the BB. I also have a new bale of ProMix.
Garf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6, 2016   #118
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by kath View Post
My photos of SNFLA are in post #136 here:

http://www.tomatoville.com/showthrea...t=24566&page=5

kath

The interior, in your pic, doesn't look like any of the many 100's of SNFLA's that I've sliced open.
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6, 2016   #119
kath
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tormato View Post
The interior, in your pic, doesn't look like any of the many 100's of SNFLA's that I've sliced open.
Hmmm...that's interesting, but that's why I decided to link my pics. So often when I really dislike a variety that everyone else loves, I wonder if we're talking about the same tomato.
Old January 6, 2016   #120
Jaymato
Tomatovillian™

Default 2016 List

These 25 I am growing to vend as starts at our local farmer's market...
(200-300 of each)

Aker's WV
Red Brandywine (RL)
Mariana's Peace
Stump of the World
Cuostralee
Aunt Ginny's Purple
Pink Berkeley Tie-Dyed
Kellogg's Breakfast
Green Giant
aunt Gertie's Gold
Indian Stripe
Paul Robeson
Dr. Wyche's Yellow
Earl of Edgecomb
Druzba
Eva Purple Ball
German Red Strawberry
Russian 117
Costoluto Genevese
Opalka

Cherries:
Gardener's Delight (Sugar Lump)
Pink Bumble Bee
Black Cherry
Green Zebra Cherry
Sun Gld (F1)

As for my personal garden, it will include 2-3 of all the above and maybe 3 dozen more varieties I have in smaller quantities, plus a few I'm still looking for.

BTW, where do I find the Wanted/Trade Subforum I've seen mentioned by others on here? Is it hidden from new members? I've been signed up here for a long time but I've mostly lurked.
Thanks!
Jaymato is offline   Reply With Quote