Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old March 5, 2012   #106
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

Hey all, did you see the weather Weds night? Calling for another cold one. I'm really glad my brother told me to wait on planting out!
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6, 2012   #107
desertlzbn
Tomatovillian™

Yes, my parents are weather obsessed, they are from Missouri, and they give me an hour by hour update. Drives me bonkers! They snowbird in my backyard in their RV, and I tell them they don't have to worry about the weather so much cause it is mostly sunny most of the time. I just look outside to see what the weather is like.
If you pay attention you can kinda figure out the coming weather here for the most part.
desertlzbn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6, 2012   #108
flyingbrass
Tomatovillian™

Actually, I'm glad I planted when I did (Feb. 24), even though I've covered several nights that were very close to freezing. Looks like I'll cover again Wednesday. After the coming front blows through we should be in good shape. Knock on wood.

BTW, that strange flu is making the rounds here too. I've had it since Thursday.
flyingbrass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6, 2012   #109
tuk50
Tomatovillian™

Hope your feeling better.... it didn't miss any of my family ..
My maters, eggplants and peppers are really taking off and am hoping this is the last one for us, but there will probably be one more in a few weeks here at my elevation before its clear sailing, so I will probably hold off planting till the latter part of March.
Old March 11, 2012   #110
flyingbrass
Tomatovillian™

I'm beginning to wonder if planting so early was a good choice. I can see both sides. On one hand, the plants should at least be growing some roots. On the other, they would grow larger in the same time if still potted (and brought in at night).

I had two plants in particular that had been wilting during the day. They'd perk back up when shaded. They were an Amish Paste and a Cherokee Purple. I replaced them with some backups still living in cups. The wilty plants didn't have much in the way of roots. I sliced open the stems and didn't notice anything odd.

I suspect the ground has been a little too damp. I added a fair amount of horse manure. That, combined with a top layer of compost and the temps being so low, the soil is slow to dry out. It sure is full of worms though. They love the manure. I dug up at least a dozen in each little hole just putting these plants in.

So, now I have 2 relatively late planted plants to compare with the others.
Old March 12, 2012   #111
tuk50
Tomatovillian™

I always get anxious this time of year, but over the years the greenhouse sets are always much more stronger looking and larger than very early planted sets, so I've been waiting till the night temps hit 50 or more before setting in the garden. There seems to be no advantage except that the greenhouse sets are so much easier and less time consuming than caring for the garden plants with all the spring cold fronts coming through. Got my bean rows ready and just as soon as the mesquite start to bud here, I'll plant them. I noticed a mesquite starting to bud about 10miles from here, but not at my house....
Old March 12, 2012   #112
desertlzbn
Tomatovillian™

I planted some of my tomatoes out yesterday, I couldn't check on them this morning cause I was running late. I hope they do ok. I am opening my plant stand next weekend. Next year I am planting my seeds in December, planting in Jan is just too late.
Old March 12, 2012   #113
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingbrass View Post
Actually, I'm glad I planted when I did (Feb. 24), even though I've covered several nights that were very close to freezing. Looks like I'll cover again Wednesday. After the coming front blows through we should be in good shape. Knock on wood.

BTW, that strange flu is making the rounds here too. I've had it since Thursday.
That strange flu is actually influenza. I had a patient test positive for flu A today.
My thermometer on my car read 34 degrees at 7:15 Thursday last week so I'm glad I waited, but didn't get enough done this weekend. My little papillon got attacked by a chow on Friday, had surgery Saturday and it took up my weekend. She's thankfully doing well and I'll finish up planting this Friday, when I'm off again.
Supposed to rain and get cool this weekend. I can hardly wait for some rain. It's already getting uncomfortably hot and way too dry for me.
Old March 12, 2012   #114
Sun City Linda
Tomatovillian™

Wow Tracy what a blessing your little dog survived. Papillions are so cute. Post pix when whe is well. LInda
Sun City Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13, 2012   #115
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

Thanks. I'll have to figure out how to post pictures this week. We were really lucky. 6.5 pound dog against a big, mean Chow! The vet couldn't figure out how she didn't puncture her lung.
Old March 13, 2012   #116
tuk50
Tomatovillian™

Sorry about the dog..... we lost a poodle to a chow a few years ago.. my son worked in a vets office when he was in high school and he said chows were one of the few types of dog that they always muzzled when handling them.
Old March 13, 2012   #117
Sun City Linda
Tomatovillian™

OH thats Ok Tracy, sounds like you still have your hands full. I have never figured it out myself! I was pretty amazed when I read your dog even survived. I have a small dog now, have always had big ones. Mine is a little rat terrior mix and I am really protective of her because in most cases, If a big dog gets loose these little guys dont usually stand a chance. I am sure it was very traumatic for you, glad for the good outcome.
Sun City Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17, 2012   #118
flyingbrass
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracydr View Post
That strange flu is actually influenza. I had a patient test positive for flu A today.
I thought it was influenza. It felt like flu when it came on, with a sudden 101.5ish fever, aches, and that generally fluish feeling. But then the fever quickly dropped. That's odd for flu. I'm a little past 2 weeks since the onset and am mostly over it now, but still have some remnants left.

I'll try to keep my comments short on dogs out of control and what I think of their owners. Otherwise, this post would turn into a long rant. I've had experience with that multiple times myself. Uncontrolled dogs are a big public safety issue that is rarely even raised. Look up the statistics on human injuries from dog bites. Amazing. None of the stats I've seen count injuries and deaths to other animals, of which from experience there seem to be many more. Plus, the legal system treats pets as replaceable property, like any other item... Ok, I'll shut up. I hope your dog has a speedy recovery.

Back on topic, I'll be grateful and astounded if we finally get some sorely needed rain. I'm watching the radar maps, and I keep looking outside. Rare as rain is here these days, a storm is an exciting event. I hope the wind won't be too severe.
Old March 18, 2012   #119
desertlzbn
Tomatovillian™

I do hope it rains, I have a empty rain barrel waiting!
Old March 18, 2012   #120
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

1-2 inches predicted ere in Maricopa county!