Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old February 19, 2008   #106
JimmyWu
Tomatovillian™

Hi all... I managed to get a copy of Dr. Males book. I have two other sources for her book as well. The first 2 people who pm me will get the sources. I think in all fairness and civilty this is the way to go imho.

-Jimmy
Old February 19, 2008   #107
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyWu View Post
Hi all... I managed to get a copy of Dr. Males book. I have two other sources for her book as well. The first 2 people who pm me will get the sources. I think in all fairness and civilty this is the way to go imho.

-Jimmy
I should really give Workman Press a call tomorrow to see if the new reprinted ones are back in the US b'c they estimated arrival about now, and distribution should take about a week for those commercial places who have already placed orders, of which I was told there were quite a few already and that was almost two months ago.
Old February 22, 2008   #108
kurtamundo
Tomatovillian™

-Not in my dreams would I pay the gougers who are offering the book at those prices. cm

Wow I would have hoarded your book and asked you to sign a bunch if I had known they would become collectors items.

Hmm I do have a few envelops with your handwriting on them, then again so does that lousy mailman.

kurt
kurtamundo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22, 2008   #109
babylark
Tomatovillian™

I had a copy of the book on order and just got an e-mail that they are canceling my order. I guess they won't be getting enough books.

Anyone have another source to order them? That isn't gouging on Amazon?
Old February 22, 2008   #110
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by babylark View Post
I had a copy of the book on order and just got an e-mail that they are canceling my order. I guess they won't be getting enough books.

Anyone have another source to order them? That isn't gouging on Amazon?
Where had you ordered the book from?

I doubt there wouldn't be enough books since several thousands were being reprinted and when they arrive any source can order from Workman any number they want to.

Perhaps it's b'c there's a delay in arrival of the books from overseas and you might want to em them back and ask why the cancellation. I'd like to know myself.
Old February 23, 2008   #111
relichound
Tomatovillian™

I ordered the book back in December from Baker Creek and it was out of stock. Just received an email yesterday stating they are receiving more books in a couple of days. Really looking forward to it.

Jerry
relichound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23, 2008   #112
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by relichound View Post
I ordered the book back in December from Baker Creek and it was out of stock. Just received an email yesterday stating they are receiving more books in a couple of days. Really looking forward to it.

Jerry
Good to hear Jerry. I'd been told that the books would arrive in the US about Feb 18th and the various places that sell the book that had already ordered them would get them about Feb 25th or so.

So good news indeed and I won't bother to call Workman on Monday.
Old February 24, 2008   #113
felpec
Tomatovillian™

Just FYI - don't search on barnesandnoble.com for Carolyn's book.

I typed in "Carolyn Male" in the search box, and got some...um, interesting results - none of which mentioned tomatoes .
felpec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24, 2008   #114
babylark
Tomatovillian™

I ordered my book from Book A Million. Here is the e-mail that they sent me.

Thank you for your recent order with us. We wanted to let you know that your order has been cancelled because all of the items you ordered are no longer available.

0 0 0761114009 100 Heirloom Tomatoes for the American Garden
Quantity ordered has been reduced.
Item is not currently available.
Old February 24, 2008   #115
babylark
Tomatovillian™

I just placed my order with Baker Creek. I also finished my seed shopping for 2008, hopefully. You never know what else I will have to have.
Old February 24, 2008   #116
kimpossible
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by felpec View Post
Just FYI - don't search on barnesandnoble.com for Carolyn's book.

I typed in "Carolyn Male" in the search box, and got some...um, interesting results - none of which mentioned tomatoes .

... I think I remember a posting of Carolyn's that alluded to something like that ...
Old February 25, 2008   #117
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

I think I remember a posting of Carolyn's that alluded to something like that ...

Well yes, but not at Barnes and Noble. Enter my name at Amazon and it leads you to my book.

What I've said in the past is that since my e-mail addy is cmale@aol.com, there are those who see that as "see male" and I do get an array of interesting e-mails from time to time.
Old February 27, 2008   #118
relichound
Tomatovillian™

Good News!!
Got notification today from Baker Creek that my copy of Carolyn's book has been shipped. Really looking forward to reading it.

Jerry
relichound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 29, 2008   #119
gardenhappy
Tomatovillian™

Default book

You lucky bums you!!!!!! I'm trying to find a copy still!!!
gardenhappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 29, 2008   #120
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

UPDATE

I checked out a few places, listed below and it looks like all the folks who had standing orders in have received their new copies of the book.

Amazon, yes
Sandhill Preservation, yes
Baker Creek, yes

And when I talked to Linda at Tomato Gorwers she was going to call in her order yesterday and send me an e-mail when she got them. She didn't put in a standing order as many others did. It was so hectic in the Fall when it wasn't clear whether the book would be reprinted and thus she didn't want to put it in her catalog not knowing what the outcome would be. But she'll put it at the website, I'm sure, when her books arrive.

Linda Sapp at TGS was positively hectic when I called and when Linda Drowns called me back today she wasn't, but then they've been able to keep up better with orders and there is no significant backlog now, which is great. And that's b'c they were able to get more help with orders this year.

The main reason I'm doing this update is for the simple reason I was so very upset to see the gouging prices that were being charged at some places. $50 for one copy? IN your dreams.