Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old April 17, 2007   #91
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

You're killing us here. That's fantastic and there's still time for fruitset, right?

I hope the cold weather does not set your plants back at all. I just gave all of my plants, which vary from 2-3', a foliar feed of HastaGro (6-12-6), Maxicrop, and Alaska 5-1-1.
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17, 2007   #92
Tomstrees
Tomatovillian™

Duajones -

Do you use non-organic fertilizer ? Do you fertilize at all ?
Your results sound great !

~ Tom
Tomstrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17, 2007   #93
duajones
Tomatovillian™

Feldon, I hope the cold weather that damaged my plants doesnt hurt the end result as well. I have only foliar fed fish emulsion to my lone cherokee purple that is on its own in the ground but not in one of my 2 beds. It was the runt of the bunch and still doesnt look all that great, foliage wise. But it has more fruit set than my previous 2 plants combined so I am engouraged. Tom, I ammended my soil with cotton burr compost, manure, coffee grounds, leaves etc in the fall. At planting I added couple tbsp tomato tone along with a sprinkie of epsom salts mixed in with existing soil and added compost. I added tomato tone again once fruit set started
duajones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19, 2007   #94
Vince
Tomatovillian™

Hey all,

You have been making me jealous with all your reports of fruit set. I planted out Mar. 3 and now I finaley have one stupice set. When I planted we were in a heat wave for 2 weeks, which really gave the plants a jump start. Now it has cooled down. The day time temps have been good 70's to Low 80's but the nights have been low 50's High 40's. I think in the next 3 weeks I should start seeing fruit set on all the plants. Tons of flowers and VERY stocky healthy looking plants this year. Good luck in the garden all.

Vince
Old April 23, 2007   #95
FlipTX
Tomatovillian™

I just checked my plants and Sugary has a couple of fruit starting to color up. First of the season!
FlipTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24, 2007   #96
Suze
Tomatovillian™

Ate my first fruit today, April 24. Lucky Leprechaun.

Two weeks later than last year, likely because of the strange weather and also because I didn't do any early container plantings as per usual.
Suze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24, 2007   #97
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

Congrats!

For an early, how was it? And where's the picture?

Jet Star

Brandywine OTV

Brandywine OTV

Cherokee Purple

Last edited by feldon30; April 24, 2007 at 10:13 AM.
Old April 24, 2007   #98
duajones
Tomatovillian™

Congrats Suze, I cant wait to eat my first tomato. Your plants are looking great Feldon.
duajones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24, 2007   #99
Suze
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by feldon30 View Post
For an early, how was it?
Tolerable. Considering that it's a fruit that's spent at least one night in the 30's, I didn't expect much tastewise.

Looks like your plants are coming along nicely indeed. How large are some of those set fruits?
Old April 24, 2007   #100
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

The biggest Jet Stars and the biggest OTV are 3" across.
Old April 24, 2007   #101
Suze
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by feldon30 View Post
The biggest Jet Stars and the biggest OTV are 3" across.
Most of my biggest ones are about 1.5 - 2" across.

I think about 65-70% of my plants now have at least some fruitset on them, but that's proably an underestimation, as I'm not really looking carefully for some of the little pea sized and smaller ones. A few random pics:

Zolotoy Korol
-- one from Andrey

Big Sungold
- I don't know much about this one, plant habit is just like Sungold F1, though

Berkeley Tie Dye

Pendulina Orange
-- look at all those blooms, very compact plant
Old April 25, 2007   #102
Vince
Tomatovillian™

Things are starting to pick up.
At least 10 stupice have set. Others have decided to join the party. At least 2 Cherokee purple, 4 BW Sudduth, 4 Earls Faux, 1 GMG, and 2 Box Car Willie have set. Now that I have spotted a comparitively large Cherokee purple, I think this one must have set first. Earlier varieties like Sun gold, and Anna Russian have yet to set, go figure. Lots of flowers and very good temps predicted this next. Hope they keep coming.

Vince
Old April 26, 2007   #103
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

I'm gonna go after my Anna Russian with the toothbrush. She is just not getting with the program. Also Cherokee Green is being very shy.

I will count today to see if I am making any gains.

Maybe I have 2 doomed slots in my garden. The center two rear slots in my 4' x 8' bed did not produce last year either.
Old April 26, 2007   #104
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Maybe I have 2 doomed slots in my garden. The center two rear slots in my 4' x 8' bed did not produce last year either

Obviously the site of a mini nuclear dumping area.

And the four sites at the end of my raised bed gave me almost nada last year as well, but I just ordered 4 huge pots, 19 inch by 18 inch from Miller's Nursery and a case of six big ones from Johnny's b/c I want to put perennials in the raised bed and do veggie stuff in pots until I can get a complex built in the backyard of 3 ft high raised beds with gravel walkways that I can access with my walker.

I'll have Freda, my cleanng lady and garden person amend that end of the raised bed.

As a sidelight, when I was talking to the Johnny's person, I found out it was only the server associated with the website that got smushed and security was lost. Any phoned in orders using credit cards were fine. Had to get a few seeds as well since my fave farm stand would never carry the Cousa squash I love or the armenian cukes or those wonderful early Japanese wee turnips or the Charantais melon that I like, etc., etc.

No will power here at all, and now I call Bank of America to be sure my money that I had wired from my retirement account has arrived so I can write checks off of it, etc..
Old April 26, 2007   #105
FlipTX
Tomatovillian™

My Anna is being shy, too, Feldon. I think she may have a couple fruits coming but it's too early to say for sure. Too often I've anticipated a fruitset, only to have a promising looking blossom fall off the next day.
FlipTX is offline   Reply With Quote