Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion about canning and dehydrating tomatoes and other garden vegetables and fruits. DISCLAIMER: SOME RECIPES MAY NOT COMPLY WITH CURRENT FOOD SAFETY GUIDELINES - FOLLOW AT YOUR OWN RISK

Old August 23, 2015   #91
coronabarb
Tomatoville® Recipe Keeper

I'm happy to live in an area where canning is a huge deal. People have canning parties here, esp when the tuna are running and when it's deer season. I'll read that later, Worth. Looks interesting.
Old August 23, 2015   #92
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Sometimes I feel like an idiot I have seen these gauges so many times and didn't put two and two together.

Here is the ultimate gauge for a canner.
It takes all of the complication of elevation out of it.
I just need to find one I can calibrate not throw away.
It is a boiler gauge.
Worth

Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23, 2015   #93
Durgan
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
I very boring read but explains so much.
Worth
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...hSL_K8eeINkoOw
Prolix.
Durgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24, 2015   #94
loulac
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
roper2008 wrote : I don't know how many years ago I bought this. It's in my garage collecting dust. I'm afraid to use it

Show some courage ! follow the example of your three countrymen that neutralized with empty hands an armed Moroccan in a French train. Let me join my thanks to the huge waves of grateful people here.
If you had a Ferrari in your garage would you be afraid of turning the ignition on in case the motor might explode ? If you stick to the directions for use you are not running any risk. Believe me, I’m the proud owner of the same model, leaving it in its box is an unforgivable crime.
loulac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24, 2015   #95
PhilaGardener
Tomatovillian™

Redemption through canning!
PhilaGardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24, 2015   #96
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by loulac View Post
Quote:
roper2008 wrote : I don't know how many years ago I bought this. It's in my garage collecting dust. I'm afraid to use it

Show some courage ! follow the example of your three countrymen that neutralized with empty hands an armed Moroccan in a French train. Let me join my thanks to the huge waves of grateful people here.
If you had a Ferrari in your garage would you be afraid of turning the ignition on in case the motor might explode ? If you stick to the directions for use you are not running any risk. Believe me, I’m the proud owner of the same model, leaving it in its box is an unforgivable crime.
I think the we are incredibly proud of these men, too. Thanks

Now onto that Ferrari... nope, can't afford to have the ferarri in the garage... the insurance costs too much to even turn it on.

Worth, that is a fabulous gauge. too bad they don't come that way... now get busy and write to the manufacturing companies and tell them that well here at tomatoville are demanding change.... we want that gauge on the next model or to be able to retrofit on onto our present ones. Thanks ever so much.

Last edited by clkeiper; August 24, 2015 at 07:20 AM. Reason: added a thought
clkeiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24, 2015   #97
Durgan
Tomatovillian™

The big variable in your concepts or conclusions is the material being pressure canned. Certainly almost every pot is different, except under very tight controlled laboratory conditions. Th worst case scenario if you like.

I have complete confidence in my processing. The pundits are trying to make a one case fits all scenario, primarily for the large commercial interests. Admirable, we don't want recalls.

Do you imagine the several million people, if that many, pressure canning are all doing it properly? I think not.

Further most of the spoilage is by the lids not sealing. This more than likely causes other than botulism. The number cases of botulism do not warrant the insane hysteria generated.

There must be a pressure and time that kills all bacteria ignoring the condition of the end product. By experience I arrived at: Homogeneous product, vent vigorously for at least ten minutes, pressure at 15 PSI, time for at least 15 minutes, when pressure reaches 15 PSI. Cool naturally. Discard any jars not sealed or use currently. QED.

I might add, I use to ingest sardines in the can periodically. I considered them to be a perfect short time emergency food. The pundits started playing with the process and now they are almost totally impossible to eat. They are processed to such an extent that they are tasteless mush.Almost puke food.

Further about sardines. A few years ago I had lady friend working in a delicatessen. Sardines came from Italy in five gallon square containers. The current batch had one container which was bloated,spoiled. My lady friend told the big boss an mentioned that it had to be thrown out. What was done? The sardines were sold in big container and the customer scooped them out. The big boss mixed the spoiled container with a couple of good cans and mixed them up and sold them with a smile. Everybody was happy.
Now order your Pizza.
Durgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24, 2015   #98
jaduncan
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by coronabarb View Post
Worth YES! I remember hearing this and was thankful I had no microwave above the stove. I have the 23 qt Presto and haven't used it on my glass stove yet. Kind of hesitant even though my stove model says it is okay. I would love to have the heavy duty All American but I'm quite sure I could not lift it, esp when full.
Haven't had a problem with the presto being heavy enough to crack the cooktop, buuuut.... Swmbo bought a new stove with a 'safety' regulator that turns off the heat 'to prevent overheating the glass cooking surfaces. on this stove anyway, it cools the burner down enough to cause the jiggler to stop, then reheats enough to get it going, then shuts down again, and again, and........... I always thought canning required a steady heat, must a got that from grandma who pressure canned on a wood stove. (and water bathed outside in a washtub over an open fire.)
Manufacturer says the shutoff can't be bypassed, and, more importantly, mama says I can't mess with her stove! Guess I'll try a hotplate.
jaduncan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24, 2015   #99
roper2008
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by coronabarb View Post
roper,

VSU has a great extension service. You can contact them about getting your pressure canner inspected and the gauge tested for free. They can answer any questions and address concerns about using it.

http://offices.ext.vt.edu/fairfax/pr...rTestInfo.html
Thank you for the link.
roper2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24, 2015   #100
coronabarb

Worth, that would be a super duper gauge.
Old August 24, 2015   #101
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

I've watched a lot of "How do they do it" and "How it's Made" and other "factory" type shows that have dealt with producing canned goods for consumption by the public. One thing that I couldn't miss was that for the most part, the cans are loaded with the product, sealed with their lids, and then they go to a process where they are heated to a temperature of approximately 260F for an appropriate time period. A few times, the comment was made that there was no need for excessive sterilization because this temperature kills all things bad.

This has me wondering about whether our ovens could be used to hike that temp up to 260F for an hour or so and take care of this problem we've been discussing.

Just wondering.
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

ContainerTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24, 2015   #102
loulac
Tomatovillian™

Read post 77 sent by Worth and you will know what's going to happen...
loulac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24, 2015   #103
coronabarb

Ted, no you can't. If you visit the website for Ball/Kerr jars, they say quite specifically that the glass is not made to withstand dry heat. They do not advocate canning in ovens.

Also this, from NCHFP;

Is it safe to process food in the oven?

No. This can be dangerous because the temperature will vary according to the accuracy of oven regulators and circulation of heat. Dry heat is very slow in penetrating into jars of food. Also, jars explode easily in the oven.
Old August 24, 2015   #104
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ContainerTed View Post
I've watched a lot of "How do they do it" and "How it's Made" and other "factory" type shows that have dealt with producing canned goods for consumption by the public. One thing that I couldn't miss was that for the most part, the cans are loaded with the product, sealed with their lids, and then they go to a process where they are heated to a temperature of approximately 260F for an appropriate time period. A few times, the comment was made that there was no need for excessive sterilization because this temperature kills all things bad.

This has me wondering about whether our ovens could be used to hike that temp up to 260F for an hour or so and take care of this problem we've been discussing.

Just wondering.
No for two reasons.
One if you put the lid on the jar it would blow up because the boiling point would be higher in the jar the pressure in the jar would be over 15psi at 260 degrees.
Two if you didn't put the lid on the jar it would end of being a mess.
The food would boil at 212 degrees or less at higher altitude.

These guys are sterilizing under a dry steam as in a retort.

Now here is a wild idea that sounds good but it wont work either so please dont try it.

Lets say you put a 50% mixture of non toxic antifreeze and water in the canner for a liquid.
This would bring the boiling point up to about 260 F.
No boil no pressure, now you can get to high temperature in the canner without blowing it up.
Wrong.
Your jars would need the antifreeze in them too because they would boil blow up spill the contents in the canner and dilute your antifreeze.
Now the antifreeze is diluted has a lower boiling point pressure sky rockets and the canner blows up.
Here is how it would go down.
You are so proud of yourself you are sitting there watching the canner no pressure but the new temperature gauge you added tell you it is getting hotter and hotter with no pressure.
By darn we have put one over on the man I think I will have a beer.
Then you hear a pop.
What the hell was that?
The pressure goes up really fast because now the stuff in the jar has vaporized.
More pops really fast right behind the other.
Before you can get to the stove to turn it down you have old faithful going off in the house.
But wait now a potato has plugged the over pressure vent and the bottom blows out of the canner sending it through the roof of the house.
Bad idea in so may ways.

Yes I have the mind of a mad scientist.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24, 2015   #105
coronabarb

Ha, ha Worth! Sometimes, I really do wonder about you.