Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old May 7, 2015   #91
efisakov
Tomatovillian™

Raised bed can be an answer for tomatoes that are prone to cracking.

God comes along and says, "I think I'm going to create THE tomato!”
efisakov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2015   #92
dereckbc

I have not read the replies. I am a huge fan of Cherokee Purple but unfortunately they do not do so great in North TX. They crack when watered, and do not produce many fruit in the hat dryer climate north of DFW.

2 years ago I was in Tulsa at the Tomato Man Farm and Lisa said try Carbon. I bought two plants and go back every year now as they do really well for me.
Old May 7, 2015   #93
Tapout
Tomatovillian™

I will never plant Indigo Rose again. I can't stand the taste of them.
Tapout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2015   #94
Al@NC
Tomatovillian™

Indigo Rose has been used to develop a lot of different varieties (or so it seems) high in anthrocyanin, Johnny seeds has a new improved Indigo Rose they are calling Indigo Cherry Drops:

http://www.johnnyseeds.com/p-9664-in...rry-drops.aspx
Al@NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2015   #95
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

I am growing one Indigo Rose. I bought it from HD. It was a Bonnie grown.
At about 8", it already has a lot of buds ready to open soon.
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2015   #96
Al@NC
Tomatovillian™

That sounds awesome Gardeneer, I was surprised to see Indigo Rose at the box stores but they are out there!
Old May 9, 2015   #97
Al@NC
Tomatovillian™

So today I go by HD and end up getting a Black Prince! I really have to stay away from stores for the foreseeable future as I cannot restrain myself from buying more tomato plants.... Geesh.
Old May 10, 2015   #98
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al@NC View Post
So today I go by HD and end up getting a Black Prince! I really have to stay away from stores for the foreseeable future as I cannot restrain myself from buying more tomato plants.... Geesh.
LOL
I was also tempted to get a Black Prince but surprisingly managed to drag myself of of HD to the car.
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2015   #99
taboule
Tomatovillian™

Black Krim for me. It produced my first full size tomato last year, and one of the biggest all around (1 pound). They're very productive in my garden. This year I will try to alleviate how much water they absorb (from rains) with some kind of impermeable guard around the base.

I've also grown CP, trying Carbon for the first time this year.
taboule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2015   #100
b54red
Tomatovillian™

It has already been in the 90s for a while and the earliest any of my plants got set out this year was the first week in April. With the late set out and high temps I'm worried about many of the stingier plants setting much fruit. I am trying to keep them well watered and feeding them with TTF weekly. Right now Indian Stripe PL, Indian Stripe, and Pruden's Purple are really setting a lot of fruit despite the temps. I really should cull them quite a bit or the tomatoes will be on the small side with so many on such small plants but with this heat I might just leave them all or at least most of them until I see what the slower producing varieties do over the next couple of weeks. I did see a few greenies on Brandywine Sudduth's that appeared this morning so maybe this will turn out to be a good season despite the really late start.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2015   #101
Irv Wiseguy
Tomatovillian™

The only black I'm growing this year is black cherry. I've read some positive things about it and can't wait to try it.

Irv
Irv Wiseguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2015   #102
SharonRossy
Tomatovillian™

I'm not growing Black Cherry for the first time in years. I'm trying Kiss The Sky, Purple Bumble Bee, Margaret Curtain, Bear Creek, Indian Stripe. I tried at that last minute to germinate Black From Tula, but nothing germinated, I was really surprised. Then I saw a BFT plant at my local nursery but forced myself to walk away. So with the exception of IS, the rest are all new to me. It's going to be an inte!resting year. Bear Creek is slow growing for me. I plan to plant out by May 25th. We had really hot weather and now it's rainy and cold. Of course!
SharonRossy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2015   #103
Al@NC
Tomatovillian™

Sharon, I have not grown any of those before. I'm curious about Kiss The Sky and how well it grows for you.

I tried growing Bear Creek this year but it wasn't in the cards as all my seedlings died.

Good luck on a great season!
Old May 12, 2015   #104
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

I have one Kiss the Sky plant doing well; it's a first for me this year.

I love Black Cherry; I think everyone should try it. At the moment, I like Purple Bumble Bee better, though.

I have a ton of blue cherry varieties this year. I didn't even plant any Dancing with Smurfs, because I had so many others to try: Bosque Blue Bumble Bee, Wild Card Blues, Helsing ★★★★★★★★ Blues, Blue Berries, Purple Smudge, Purple Dragon, Fahrenheit Blues...also Blue Beauty, which is a slicer.

Last edited by Cole_Robbie; May 12, 2015 at 02:10 AM.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2015   #105
heirloomtomaguy
Tomatovillian™

This year i will be comparing Purple Haze F1, Purple Haze OP, Kiss the Sky, and Zachary all of which are the real deal or a grow out of Purple Haze F1. Only time will tell which one tastes the best in my garden.
“Enter by the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and there are many who go in by it. Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it."
heirloomtomaguy is offline   Reply With Quote