Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old February 10, 2014   #91
dfollett
Tomatovillian™

Same question about the Purple Haze seeds in the swap - Are they the true Purple Haze F1 - or are they seeds from an F1 grow out (which would be F2)? Thanks in advance for the answer.
dfollett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11, 2014   #92
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfollett View Post
Same question about the Purple Haze seeds in the swap - Are they the true Purple Haze F1 - or are they seeds from an F1 grow out (which would be F2)? Thanks in advance for the answer.
If you look at the Purple Haze thread in General Discussion you'll see that NO F1 seeds have yet been made available to the public, so anything labeled Purple Haze could be anything from F2 seeds out to ???? generation.

Carolyn
Old February 11, 2014   #93
bower
Tomatovillian™

Robin, I'm sorry to hear about your trouble!
I have a question for you - I received a bonus pack of Sophie's Choice with your name on it, and I'm wondering if it is the true determinate SC, or the indeterminate that comes from Tomatofest according to some other growers.
I grew SC last year and it was the indeterminate one.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11, 2014   #94
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bower View Post
I have a question for you - I received a bonus pack of Sophie's Choice with your name on it, and I'm wondering if it is the true determinate SC, or the indeterminate that comes from Tomatofest according to some other growers.
http://t.tatianastomatobase.com:88/w...hie%27s_Choice

I'm not sure where or why these indet versions of SC are showing up/ Tania above clearly listed it as a det, I just went back to my own book where it was one of the featured ones, my seeds directly from Barry in CA, see the link above and yes, a det as it should be .

What other places than Tomatofet is it turning out to be indet?

However, when I think of Green Grape, bred by Tom Wagner, he introduced it as and indet and it was so for many years, then he was in the Netherlands and saw it as a det, then I saw mine as a det, and so it goes. Tom even brought me two plants his when I was doing a dog and pony show in CA, I put them out and they were det as well.

But I don't think I knew about the indet SC one at Tomatofest.

Carolyn
Old February 11, 2014   #95
bower
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
http://t.tatianastomatobase.com:88/w...hie%27s_Choice

I'm not sure where or why these indet versions of SC are showing up/ Tania above clearly listed it as a det, I just went back to my own book where it was one of the featured ones, my seeds directly from Barry in CA, see the link above and yes, a det as it should be .

What other places than Tomatofet is it turning out to be indet?

However, when I think of Green Grape, bred by Tom Wagner, he introduced it as and indet and it was so for many years, then he was in the Netherlands and saw it as a det, then I saw mine as a det, and so it goes. Tom even brought me two plants his when I was doing a dog and pony show in CA, I put them out and they were det as well.

But I don't think I knew about the indet SC one at Tomatofest.

Carolyn
Carolyn, there was a thread about it last spring... several people identified Tomatofest as the source of supposedly "Sophie's Choice" seed that was an indeterminate red instead of the true variety.
http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=28453&page=2
I would like to grow Sophie's Choice the determinate.
Old February 11, 2014   #96
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Carolyn, there was a thread about it last spring... several people identified Tomatofest as the source of supposedly "Sophie's Choice" seed that was an indeterminate red instead of the true variety.
http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=28453&page=2
I would like to grow Sophie's Choice the determinate.
Thanks for that link.

No wonder I didn't remember it b'c I'd just come home from rehab after having a 50% chance of dying of septic shock secondary to a kidney stone when I arrived in the ER, then to ICU, etc. Ot still botherfs me that I don 't rem,ember where I was in space and time for about 5 days.

It took me a while to get my head back on straight that whole summer and remembering this thread about SC was not at the top of that list of lost remembrances.

Carolyn
Old February 11, 2014   #97
bower
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
Thanks for that link.

No wonder I didn't remember it b'c I'd just come home from rehab after having a 50% chance of dying of septic shock secondary to a kidney stone when I arrived in the ER, then to ICU, etc. Ot still botherfs me that I don 't rem,ember where I was in space and time for about 5 days.

It took me a while to get my head back on straight that whole summer and remembering this thread about SC was not at the top of that list of lost remembrances.

Carolyn
Indeed, you were just back! Well that's one great thing about communication on the forum, it stays there until you're ready to find it again. TGFI!
Old February 16, 2014   #98
dfollett
Tomatovillian™

Default Jetsetter

Are the Jetsetter seeds from the swap F1 - or are they seeds from an F1 grow out (which would be F2)? Thanks in advance for the answer
dfollett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18, 2014   #99
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

I'm under the assumption that they are F1's (though not labeled as such). I'll try to contact the participant who also sent Tomcat and a couple other varieties that appear to be hybrid F1's.

There was an "experimental" category for all non-stable seed (F2's, F3's, etc...). Jetsetter and those others were not submitted to this category.

Gary
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19, 2014   #100
green_go
Tomatovillian™

Default Lemon Boy - F1?

Same question on Lemon Boy seeds.
Are these F1 (F2)?
Old February 19, 2014   #101
RobinB
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Thanks. I appreciate it. Sorry I didn't reply sooner, I didn't see your post!

The Sophie's Choice seeds that I sent were a pack that I got from somebody here on TVille. I grew them twice and they just didn't like the dry desert heat of Nevada. The seeds produced determinate plants, though. I hope you have better luck!

Robin
RobinB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19, 2014   #102
bower
Tomatovillian™

Thanks, Robin! I'll have to try them. They won't have to worry about dry heat, for sure... we can treat them to cold and wet, not a problem!
Old March 6, 2014   #103
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

Peppermint Purple...looking for any description on this one.

It did have the oddest colored seed in the swap, the oddest color I've ever seen for seed. Sort of a two-tone, milk chocolate/dark chocolate coloration.

Also, please post about off-type leaf shapes if they show up on any varieties.

Gary

Last edited by Tormato; March 7, 2014 at 12:12 PM.
Old April 4, 2014   #104
socalgardengal
Tomatovillian™

Gary, I have a question about your Blue Suede-uth seeds. I started 10 seeds and 6 survived. 2 are RL. They are have blooms on them and I will be bagging a couple of the flowers. Should I save the seeds and would you like a few back? Also, do you know how big the plants get? Thanks ~Christine
socalgardengal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5, 2014   #105
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalgardengal View Post
Gary, I have a question about your Blue Suede-uth seeds. I started 10 seeds and 6 survived. 2 are RL. They are have blooms on them and I will be bagging a couple of the flowers. Should I save the seeds and would you like a few back? Also, do you know how big the plants get? Thanks ~Christine
The two RL plants will likely be "Blue Suede-uth Shoes". There is a slight chance that more than one natural cross took place with Brandywine Sudduth, though.

The plant was somewhat smaller in height than most of my indeterminates. Production was very high. Most fruit were 4-6 ounce globes (I water as little as possible, so fruit may get larger). Color was red with very dark purple shoulders. Lots and lots of splitting. Flavor was...well, it's partly named after the flavor (shoe). Please understand that nearly all reds, in my garden, taste lousy. And all blue tomatoes, in my garden, taste lousy.

Save seed if you like. I'll check my collection to see if I'd need any back.

I'm already working on a PL pink w/dark purple shoulders, which was grown out of saved seed of BSS.

Gary