Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Forum area for discussing hybridizing tomatoes in technical terms and information pertinent to trait/variety specific long-term (1+ years) growout projects.

Old August 19, 2013   #91
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

Default GZ X BFT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisK View Post
I 'd love to see pix if you have them of the GZ x BFT.
OK Sorry the pic came out blurry.GZ X BFT.jpg

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19, 2013   #92
ScottinAtlanta
Tomatovillian™

Chris, Here is your Tangerine Ailsa Craig - a beautiful and glowing tomato.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2440.jpg (282.5 KB, 49 views)
ScottinAtlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20, 2013   #93
ChrisK
Tomatovillian™

Looks pretty. How did it compare in taste to the red Ailsa Craig? I had no room to grow these this year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottinAtlanta View Post
Chris, Here is your Tangerine Ailsa Craig - a beautiful and glowing tomato.

Ignorance more frequently begets knowledge: it is those who know little, and not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science. --Charles Darwin
ChrisK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21, 2013   #94
ScottinAtlanta
Tomatovillian™

I had only one to harvest - the squirrels got everything else. It was a good tomato taste - a bit tangy. I can't recall the Ailsa Craig taste, so can't compare.
ScottinAtlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22, 2013   #95
Tom Wagner
Crosstalk™ Forum Moderator

ChrisK,

The Red Baron and I talked on the phone about the hybrid Green Zebra X Black from Tula. I requested the Green Zebra crosses rom you because I like to look at the hundreds of GZ crosses I have made and yours were requested to add to the fray. Thanks again for that.

Here are a couple of pictures of the hybrid fruit....the first shows the shoulders and the second one the bud end.

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/oCoHsXn.jpg?2[/IMG]

Tom Wagner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22, 2013   #96
ChrisK
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the pic, Tom. You were also going to send me back F2 seeds of the three crosses I sent you for your Hawaii growouts, last winter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wagner View Post
ChrisK,

The Red Baron and I talked on the phone about the hybrid Green Zebra X Black from Tula. I requested the Green Zebra crosses rom you because I like to look at the hundreds of GZ crosses I have made and yours were requested to add to the fray. Thanks again for that.

Here are a couple of pictures of the hybrid fruit....the first shows the shoulders and the second one the bud end.

Ignorance more frequently begets knowledge: it is those who know little, and not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science. --Charles Darwin

Last edited by ChrisK; August 22, 2013 at 10:50 PM.
Old August 23, 2013   #97
Tom Wagner
Crosstalk™ Forum Moderator

Chris, I don't know the status of your three hybrids in Hawaii. I get sporadic information from my grower there, and since I have yet to get there I have limited ways of finding out all the information I would like.

I think I have F-2 packed away or drying at this moment. I will see to it that a sample gets back to you. I made lots of hybrids with all three and am going through the early crosses for extraction.
Tom Wagner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1, 2013   #98
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

I got Dr.Carolyn X Pink Berkeley TD sowed 4, all germinated, and Green Zebra X Black From Tula, sowed 4 and all germinated. Good seed saving Chris.
I only have room to plant out 2 of each, how do you feel about me sharing the other 4 plants?

Marsha
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1, 2013   #99
ChrisK
Tomatovillian™

Please do!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger2778 View Post
I got Dr.Carolyn X Pink Berkeley TD sowed 4, all germinated, and Green Zebra X Black From Tula, sowed 4 and all germinated. Good seed saving Chris.
I only have room to plant out 2 of each, how do you feel about me sharing the other 4 plants?

Marsha

Old September 1, 2013   #100
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

That's great.

Marsha
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1, 2013   #101
ChrisK
Tomatovillian™

Any reports from the following?

Marktutt
Delltraveler
Sicily
Darren Abbey
Dkelley
Dustdevil
bwaynef
Frdlturner
Goodwin
eatmoreyeah
dustyrivergarden
lexie
rocco641

Old September 7, 2013   #102
ChrisK
Tomatovillian™

Will have to rethink my offers next year.

Last edited by ChrisK; September 7, 2013 at 09:09 AM.
Old September 7, 2013   #103
tuk50
Tomatovillian™

Just a follow up note on three plants out of nine I planted...
JxGZ (a) - this plant is producing round tomatoes on the second half of my growing season vs the more oval shaped early ones.
JxGZ (b) - this plant is still going like mad and enjoying the cooler second half of the season and the best tasting one of the three still going.
JxSR (a) - this is the best paste I've grown lately. It has thick walls, few and small seeded and is an excellent flavor for a paste.

all three of these are 10ft tall and still growing .. they are massive plants which probably helps them to do well in my Tucson garden.. they actually kept producing all summer in the interior of each plant even though we had over thirty consecutive days of 100 plus days. All three have no disease issues or BER, which is surprising for a paste type tomato in my garden. To give you an idea of the size.. I plant rows on 5' centers and I have had to trim them to get between the rows...
thanks again .. john

Last edited by tuk50; September 7, 2013 at 10:23 AM.
tuk50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7, 2013   #104
ChrisK
Tomatovillian™

I really appreciate your observations and pix! We'll definitely followup on the paste next year here as well. I would love a good producer with disease resistance like Juliet.

edit: Just looking at your note you sent with the seeds. Looks like you sent JxSR plant B seeds, a small cherry. Would love to get a packet from plant A!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuk50 View Post
Just a follow up note on three plants out of nine I planted...
JxGZ (a) - this plant is producing round tomatoes on the second half of my growing season vs the more oval shaped early ones.
JxGZ (b) - this plant is still going like mad and enjoying the cooler second half of the season and the best tasting one of the three still going.
JxSR (a) - this is the best paste I've grown lately. It has thick walls, few and small seeded and is an excellent flavor for a paste.

all three of these are 10ft tall and still growing .. they are massive plants which probably helps them to do well in my Tucson garden.. they actually kept producing all summer in the interior of each plant even though we had over thirty consecutive days of 100 plus days. All three have no disease issues or BER, which is surprising for a paste type tomato in my garden. To give you an idea of the size.. I plant rows on 5' centers and I have had to trim them to get between the rows...
thanks again .. john

Last edited by ChrisK; September 7, 2013 at 12:17 PM.
Old September 7, 2013   #105
tuk50
Tomatovillian™

Sorry Chris, I didn't realize I skipped that one... I'll get some out to you this week.. It isn't as productive as the other two, at least in my garden. This may be because it seems to be a much later variety than the other two. Here in Tucson we have two growing seasons .. spring and fall.. the month of june is so hot that tomatoes have to set most of their fruit before the june desert heat hits and these plants survived the summer very well and are now mushrooming with growth and flowers again, so I try to save the first few fruit from a plant in the hopes that it will become an earlier variety after a few years.