Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Share your favorite photos with us here. Instructions on how to post them can be found in the first post within.

Old September 2, 2012   #91
Boutique Tomatoes
Tomatovillian™

I would love to give you a tour! Although right now it's approaching jungle in there as I haven't kept up with pruning and tying up like I should since mid July.

Lots of people come over and look, but relatively few are interested in the story behind the tomatoes like I am, i.e. the history of the heirlooms or the breeder behind new varieties. More of a 'wow, I never saw so many colors and shapes!'
Boutique Tomatoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9, 2012   #92
Boutique Tomatoes
Tomatovillian™

Todays harvest. Something to remember when making out that grow list over the winter, you've got to do something with all the tomatoes...

Old September 9, 2012   #93
JamesL
Tomatovillian™

Nicely done Mark!
JamesL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12, 2012   #94
Boutique Tomatoes
Tomatovillian™

A few new ones.

Blue Green, another one from Tom Wagner

Skykomish, a bicolor from Tom with blight resistance

Sky Reacher - Another new one from Tom

And finally Wapsipinicon Peach
Old September 12, 2012   #95
Sun City Linda
Tomatovillian™

What a treat! I have had a pretty tough week thus far and it has been so relaxing to just scroll through this thread from the beginning. Thank you so much for taking the time to photograph and post so many gorgous tomatoes!
Sun City Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13, 2012   #96
Boutique Tomatoes
Tomatovillian™

Thanks! I have the advantage of working from home and go out to the garden while on conference calls or when I'm stuck on something. Getting outside and getting my hands dirty is wonderful therapy for a tough day.

And I love taking pictures of all my tomato babies!
Old September 14, 2012   #97
gnol
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by marktutt View Post
Todays harvest. Something to remember when making out that grow list over the winter, you've got to do something with all the tomatoes...

Awesome. Eat them and make sauce.
I'm drooling looking at everybody's pictures now.
gnol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19, 2012   #98
Boutique Tomatoes
Tomatovillian™

This is probably about the end, 32 degrees forecast for Friday night so I'll have to check the list and see what still needed to be photographed and see if I have any of them ripe.

Gildo Pietroboni

Chico Grande

Chinese

And finally, on the last Blue Match plant that went in a month after the others, I finally got a ripe fruit that has blue on the shoulders and a few streaks through the body of the fruit. This one is tiny, but there are some green ones that are about 4-5 oz on the plant that unfortunately will never survive long enough to ripen.

Blue Match
Old September 19, 2012   #99
RobinB
Tomatovillian™

Mark,
It's been really fun to see all your wonderful tomatoes! You have so many different ones that I have never heard of. It's too bad that your season is ending. I have a little while longer. It's the time of year when I listen intently to the weather reports each day! We're down in the mid-40s already, but the days are still mid-80s... for at least the next 7 days. Here's hoping for a NORMAL Winter, though!
RobinB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20, 2012   #100
Boutique Tomatoes
Tomatovillian™

Glad you enjoyed it! I've hit the point where I'm ready for it to be over, but until the plants are kaput I feel obligated to keep doing something with them. I think I canned 60 pints of different salsas this year, lots of quarts of various bloody mary mixes and sauces, dried a lot of tomatoes and I'm looking forward to not having buckets of tomatoes to do something with every weekend.

Of course as soon as the plants are pulled up and I start shredding leaves for the tomato beds and hauling manure I'll start daydreaming about next years list, already on version 2 of that.
Old September 20, 2012   #101
RobinB
Tomatovillian™

I'm always out there like a maniac the afternoon of the first good freeze, picking everything in sight to bring inside to ripen until I can't feel my fingers. Then there's always fried green tomatoes!
RobinB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20, 2012   #102
Boutique Tomatoes
Tomatovillian™

Yes! Last year I made a green tomato salsa recipe for canning that was pretty good. People who I didn't tell what it was assumed it was a tomatillo salsa. I'm going to see if I can add some vitamin C to it this year to help keep it more green, but it was a tasty way to use up a lot of greenies.

But I'll have to buy more pint jars. I'm going to have to institute a "You must return the jar and band" policy...
Old September 20, 2012   #103
Meteo
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by marktutt View Post
Thanks Remy! I know lots of my friends and neighbors laugh at me out there crawling around on the ground with a camera taking pictures of tomatoes and peppers every year.

"Chi-kos boo-ter-moo" is how it sounded from the native pronunciation of the two words on Forvo.
'kos' is not correct its pronounced 'kosh' But you can say -Striped heavy producer, 'cause thats what it means.
Meteo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20, 2012   #104
Boutique Tomatoes
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meteo View Post
'kos' is not correct its pronounced 'kosh' But you can say -Striped heavy producer, 'cause thats what it means.
Thank you! It certainly lived up to it's name for me. I think I saved a lot of seed from this one as it made the grade for a repeat next year.
Old September 25, 2012   #105
Boutique Tomatoes
Tomatovillian™

Well, so far the frost has missed me, so I have more tomatoes to do something with this week...

The plants I neglected are turning up interesting stuff at the end of the season..

I found this on an abandoned plant next to a brush pile when I walked out at lunch time. It still had the tag on it, so at least I know it was a scraggly one from Tom Wagner's Searching For The Blue Zebra that wasn't doing anything when I tossed it there. The plant lived despite not being watered or fertilized and has now set one fruit. The fruit has stripes, antho and bright green spots all over it. Now to hope I can get viable seeds or keep a clone alive over the winter.