Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old January 20, 2015   #91
WillysWoodPile

Here is what I have from the line of Black Pepper from Baker Creek seeds 2010. From my 2011 grow-out of these.
Black Pepper: RL, Wispy-leaf, Indeterminate, Paste. Good producer, good flavor. If I remember right I was surprised at how large the vines were. I can send out seed to about 6 people if anyone would like to grow them.
I am sorry to say that my computer "gave out" and I lost all my pictures: And I canceled my free photobucket account and started a new payed one, so all those old pictures are gone. So if somebody would like to grow this [this year] and post pictures that would be great.
Old January 20, 2015   #92
ChristinaJo
Tomatovillian™

Hi,
I would like to grow them out.
ChristinaJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20, 2015   #93
WillysWoodPile

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristinaJo View Post
Hi,
I would like to grow them out.
Send me your address in a PM and I will get them out to you right away.
Old January 20, 2015   #94
ChristinaJo
Tomatovillian™

Thanks!
Old January 20, 2015   #95
frdlturner
Tomatovillian™

is there a vender that's sales these would like to try them
frdlturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20, 2015   #96
WillysWoodPile

Quote:
Originally Posted by frdlturner View Post
is there a vender that's sales these would like to try them
I am offering seed from the line I got from Baker Creek in 2010. It's sort of a mystery compared to others of the same name from different sources. At least it was a 3 or 4 years ago. Baker Creek never gave a description so we have been curious as to what it really is. If you would like to grow some send me your address in a Private Message and I will send them out to you tomorrow.
Old January 20, 2015   #97
travis
Tomatovillian™

In 2013, I received an envelope filled with packets of 21 different tomato varieties sent from Russia.

Among the varieties are some originating in Germany, China, and the majority from Russia. Some of the Russian varieties are commercial varieties, and the others are garden varieties. Many of them are maroon type colors.

One of the packets is labeled "Pertsevidniy Cherniy" which I take to mean “pepper shaped black.” Otherwise, I have no information about this tomato.

Searching the Internet, the closest thing I come up with, and also originating from Russia, is Kubinskiy Pertsevidniy Cherniy (Cuban pepper-like black), which I see already has been mentioned in this thread.

Considering the ebb and flow of maroon tomato types from Russia, I have to conclude that many varieties that originated in Russia (or the former USSR), have made their way into various European and Asian countries long before we in the U.S. had access to such tomatoes.

So, the chain of true heritage of many of these tomatoes was broken in the back and forth commerce between countries that did allow tourism, commercial access and trade between their citizens and the former Soviet Union.
travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20, 2015   #98
travis
Tomatovillian™

I must have overlooked this Web page when I was searching for information on the Pertsevidniy Cherniy tomato seeds I received from Russia in 2013.

http://translate.google.com/translat....0&prev=search

If you scroll down to the fourth post in that thread, you will see that Cherry from Belarus concludes that Pertsevidniy Cherniy is the same tomato as Kubinskiy Pertsevidniy Cherniy, and she provides photographs of the tomatoes she grew from her seeds.

[I provided a link to the translated page, which reads in rather broken English. If you wish to view the page in Russian, you may click this hyperlink: http://translate.google.com/translat...no=2&sandbox=1 ]

Last edited by travis; January 20, 2015 at 05:47 PM.
travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20, 2015   #99
dustdevil
Tomatovillian™

Hi WWP. PM sent.
dustdevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20, 2015   #100
WillysWoodPile

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustdevil View Post
Hi WWP. PM sent.
Got it dustdevil. You are #3.
Old January 21, 2015   #101
WillysWoodPile

Black Pepper seed packets were sent out today 1-21-2015. When people grow these please post pictures here so we can designate this line from Baker Creek and give a description.
Old January 22, 2015   #102
WillysWoodPile

The offer for [Baker Creek] Black Pepper seed is now closed.
Old January 25, 2015   #103
ChristinaJo
Tomatovillian™

Hi,
I received the seeds today. Thank you!
Old January 26, 2015   #104
WillysWoodPile

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristinaJo View Post
Hi,
I received the seeds today. Thank you!
Have fun growing them Christina. Mine got pretty bushy. They will need good support.
Old February 15, 2015   #105
Aubergine
Tomatovillian™

I see I am too late - sorry
Aubergine is offline   Reply With Quote