Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating peppers.

Old April 3, 2009   #91
JerryL
Tomatovillian™

I started mine back on March 9th so they’re a little less than a month old. I had about 75% germination overall on the three varieties - #s 5, 10 & 38.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0052.jpg (227.3 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0056.jpg (148.5 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0048.jpg (212.3 KB, 29 views)
Old April 3, 2009   #92
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

Very nice pics all - interesting variations, hey? This is why we should all plant as many as we can...the results are unpredictable!
Old April 4, 2009   #93
svalli
Tomatovillian™

I have had bad luck getting pepper seeds started and then some of the seedlings just wilted away.

I have three #5 plants and all of them have totally green leaves with a bit red in the veins and stems. All cotyledons were green.

From two #6 one is just green and other one has green leaves and red veins and stem.

Two #29 pants are all green as expected.

Plants are under fluorecent lights by a window, but it has been so cloudy that they have not got much sun.
Old April 4, 2009   #94
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

Seems as though the offspring from pepper 5 need direct sun to purple up.
Old April 11, 2009   #95
ddsack
Tomatovillian™

Looks like I will be separating and potting up my peppers sometime in the next few days. Thought I'd post the starter flat pics before I break up the varieties. I seeded the peppers back on March 15th, got good germination on #1 (13 of 14) and #38 ( 10 of 10) , but not so good on #5 (6 of 15, and much slower to hatch.)

Sure have pretty color combos so far, it will be interesting to see what happens as they age.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CraigsPepper-1.jpg (293.9 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg CraigsPepper-5.jpg (275.2 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg CraigsPepper-38.jpg (286.3 KB, 32 views)
ddsack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11, 2009   #96
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

Nice pics, ddsack! Cool plants, hey? I've not taken a good look at mine since they went into 4 inch pots by cell, and it has been quite cool here at night - will give them a look and perhaps post some pics this week.
Old April 21, 2009   #97
rutabagaboy
Tomatovillian™

Default Now what?

OK Craig (in particular, but anyone can chime in), it's been two months since I planted 12 seeds each of Hot Pepper Project #1, #14 and #38 and it's about time to put these guys in the ground.

I've reached the point of being dangerous as I don't know what traits/characteristics are being selected. I've attached two photos. The first shows a 4 x 4 flat of 4 inch pots containing #1 in the first (top) two rows, #14 in the third and #38 in the 4th. The second photo shows a 3 x 6 tray of 3 inch pots. The cell with the label laying in it is empty. The four cells above (or to the left of) the empty cell contain #1. The six cells on the opposite side from the #1's contain #38 and the cells in the middle row and below (or to the right of) the empty cell contain #14. There are a total of 12 #1, 11 #14 and 10 #38. There is quite a bit of variability in height - from less than 1" to 4" and color - almost all are showing at least some traces of green although most had purple cots.

Which should be planted and which should become compost?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HotPeppersTray1.jpg (478.7 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg HotPeppersTray2a.JPG (681.8 KB, 22 views)
rutabagaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21, 2009   #98
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

It is pretty open ended - there is so much variability that each person should select what seems most interesting, since the peppers in some cases are not all that predictable!

What I typically do is to plant one each of the distinct coloration/types. So, for my 30 or so different selections I have an average of 2 different types - I will therefore have 60 or more plants growing (a few were very uniform - all 10 seeds produced green foliaged plants - so will grow one of those. For another few, there were 3 or 4 different looking seedlings - so 3 or 4 plants).

Once this season is done, we will know how much any of what we are growing resemble the plant that the seed came from!
Old April 28, 2009   #99
svalli
Tomatovillian™

#6 has cluster of buds on the top!
Old April 29, 2009   #100
Suze
Tomatovillian™

Took a couple of pictures of Hot Pepper #38 plants today (4/29/09) - attached. Larger pictures can be found here (view Full Size), if you want to see more detail.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hot 38.jpg (280.0 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg hot 38 2.jpg (298.3 KB, 11 views)
Suze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2009   #101
Barbee
Tomatovillian™

I planted out my hot peppers today. They were starting to bloom and outgrowing the pots and it was just TIME
It's still a little chilly here for peppers but I think once the heat hits, they'll take off. I have them all planted in my front flower beds. I'll take some pics as they grow. I'm sure I'll have questions about saving seeds when it's time.
Thanks Craig!
Old May 4, 2009   #102
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

I am about to start getting mine separated and into their final resting places (all pots). I will take pics once they make a bit of progress - for a few, all 10 seedlings (I started 10 seeds for each line of pepper) seem identical, so one plant...for a few of them, there are 4 distinct pepper types....so lots of peppers to grow out!
Old May 6, 2009   #103
ddsack
Tomatovillian™

Craig,
I will probably try to find room for all the seedlings (25-30?) that came up. I will scatter some around in the vegetable and flower gardens, and some will be in pots.

Do you have a notion which varieties might do better with more elbow room, and which would be just as happy in pots? Are there any that have more of a mini dwarf habit? If they all are of an similar final size, what is a good size of pot to allow for reaching full potential?

Dee
Old May 6, 2009   #104
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

Since I grew them all in half gallon containers, I really don't know about their size potential - we will all learn, I suspect! I think that if you take a look at the pics at the very start of this thread, you can judge those that tend to grow taller vs more spreading. Ah, the joy of discovery and research and mystery of the unknown!
Old May 6, 2009   #105
ddsack
Tomatovillian™

Well, it should be interesting for sure! Since peppers can be grown as perennials, I would think the size eventually would be limited only by age and favorable conditions. (Though my luck with overwintering peppers in the house has been marginal due to unrelenting aphid attacks!)

I am so impressed by how many thick clusters of fruit all your potted pictures have. And to be able to grow them in half gallon containers is a real bonus. I was thinking more of one to two gallon minimums for the potted ones. Thanks for the response!