Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Historical background information for varieties handed down from bygone days.

Old March 18, 2011   #91
Medbury Gardens
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ireilly View Post

And you're right, the bubble envelopes are more expensive as well as more expensive to mail.
Surprisingly no,yes the bubble envelopes are more expensive to purchase but cost me $NZ2.40 each to send,about the same as a standard envelope.
Medbury Gardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18, 2011   #92
Medbury Gardens
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama mater View Post
Medbury, All is well here with Hoy, Germination is a success 12/14,
That's fantastic.

Chopped up another one today for seed as there's been good deal of interest in Hoy from other gardeners here in NZ,also ive added a few Hoy's in our local agricultural & pastoral show vegetable section,should blow away a few of the locals with some real mans tomatoes
Old March 19, 2011   #93
Irv Wiseguy
Tomatovillian™

Hoy sounds interesting and is someting I'd like to try growing. Unfortunately I don't have room for it this year, so I hope it will be available February, 2012 when I start seeds.

This is nuts, the 2011 season is just beginning and already I'm planning my 2012 garden!

Thanks,

Irv
Irv Wiseguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20, 2011   #94
ireilly
Tomatovillian™

Now, this is odd to me.

You may recall batch #1 was 0/6 in a unheated coffee filter and 1/6 pretty quickly after I planted in mix outside, then last week I reported 3/6. Today, while I was having my 100-year-old oak trimmed up, I was repotting, and as you might have guessed, all 6 are up. About 3 weeks later??

Meanwhile, batch #2 came out as 4/8 in the filter, then 5/8 sowed in mix inside, and has stayed that way. It just went outside. We will see if more come up. It has been in the 80s F here pretty much for the last week or so.

I wonder if it is the heat that this variety likes? Have not seen that with my other tomato seeds. Pepper seeds, yes. Then again, I wasn't as concerned about getting those out to people.

So maybe the seeds aren't getting rollered to death.

One other thing I noticed. The envelope that was sent, being a non-US-standard size, is pretty close to the more square envelope that someone here said is not sent through the sorting machines, so maybe that has something to do with it too. It was marked Air Post as well.

So this may mean everyone is likely to have better germination than I expected. Good news.

I think I see a heat mat in my future....

Walter
ireilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20, 2011   #95
dipchip2000
Tomatovillian™

Walter,,

I received my Hoy seeds Friday and sowed two seeds immediately in Jiffy Germinating Mix and set them on top of my two lamp growlight fixture. I just came in from looking at them and have two sprouts popping up out of the mix. These were the only ones sowed friday night. I usually start my peppers on top of the lights because of the heat generated by the ballast for the lamps. I am a happy camper and just thought everyone might be interested and possibly what made them sprout so quickly. I have them under the lights now.

ron
dipchip2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20, 2011   #96
Medbury Gardens
Tomatovillian™

That's fantastic Walter well there's not going to be any shortage of seed then,next lot should be there end of this week.

Well done Ron,fast germination for you
Old March 20, 2011   #97
shlacm
Tomatovillian™

Wow, how exciting... mine aren't up yet... but I certainly do hope they aren't far behind... 1 day!!!
shlacm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20, 2011   #98
ireilly
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by dipchip2000 View Post
Walter,,

I received my Hoy seeds Friday and sowed two seeds immediately in Jiffy Germinating Mix and set them on top of my two lamp growlight fixture. I just came in from looking at them and have two sprouts popping up out of the mix. These were the only ones sowed friday night. I usually start my peppers on top of the lights because of the heat generated by the ballast for the lamps. I am a happy camper and just thought everyone might be interested and possibly what made them sprout so quickly. I have them under the lights now.

ron
Ron, thanks for the info, that makes me feel better about what was sent out. And the plants will get out there sooner!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medbury Gardens View Post
That's fantastic Walter well there's not going to be any shortage of seed then,next lot should be there end of this week.

Well done Ron,fast germination for you
Thanks Medbury, you've made it possible to get this grown this year for so many, along with Strax.

There are about 5 more queued up for more. I encourage anyone else wanting seed to submit requests in the Hoy Seed thread. Depending on feedback we may adjust back to 6 seeds if conditions warrant.

Thanks all.
ireilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28, 2011   #99
kath
Tomatovillian™

I sowed later than most, but had 3 out of 4 Hoy seeds germinate on 4/19 and 4/21 from an April 9th planting. They were not soaked, sown in ProMix BX and kept on a heat mat until the 1st one germinated. I will be planting in late May and will try to bag and save seed.

Thanks again for this generous offer.
kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29, 2011   #100
WillysWoodPile

Here are my 4 Hoy plants as of 4-29-2011:

Old April 30, 2011   #101
Timbotide
Tomatovillian™

Those look nice!
Timbotide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2011   #102
cgantt
Tomatovillian™

Received my seed a few days ago. They should germinate one day this week. There were 9 in my pack, and some "scuff" marks on the envelope from the sorting machine but after inspecting each seed under a magnifying glass I saw no damage. The bubble wrap saved them!

I sowed them in a cell tray on Saturday 30 April 2011 and expect to see germination one day this week. As it turns out I lost 7 of my tomatoes during the extremely heavy downpours we got from the terrible storms that swept through the south east last week. So if 7 out of the 9 germinate my garden will be full once again. If all 9 germinate I will build an earthtainer to put the other 2 in.

Thanks again for the seed and I will be sure to update this thread with germination pics when I see them sprout!
cgantt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2011   #103
coloken
Tomatovillian™ Honoree

Just to check in. 8 seeds and after 8 days. I had 4 up now for 2 days and this morning a fifth. For some reason, I am haveing a bad time with some other seeds this go, so I consider the hoy seeds as being very good. I think they were from the last shipment.
Many thanks for the seeds and i will try to spread the plants around to others.
KennyP
coloken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2011   #104
KLorentz
Tomatovillian™

Hi all,

Just thought I would let ya'all know my plants are looking good.I have four and they should be out in the garden between the 15th and Memorial Day weekend.

Kevin
KLorentz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2011   #105
coloken
Tomatovillian™ Honoree

Just to check in with my 5 hoy plants at 4 weeks after I got the seed. They are growing faster than the moravsky div in the picture. They look extremely good. Many thanks to all who found and distributed them. I do wsh they had more than a 3 letter name for serches though..maybe ahoy?Kenny
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hoy.jpg (324.6 KB, 58 views)
coloken is offline   Reply With Quote