Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating all other edible garden plants.

Old April 2, 2014   #91
Randall
Tomatovillian™

That's good to know. I was torn between poplar and maple. I read that poplar might fruit faster but maple would make more over the long haul. I also had a tight cluster of maples choking each other out that needed thinning. I have plenty of woods, so if it works out, I'll try and add more each spring.

I usually wear clothing to the point it's worthless to anyone. Old T-shirts get ripped and used as tomato ties. Maybe I'll have to keep them as mushroom substrate in the future. Haha!
Randall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2, 2014   #92
RootLoops
Tomatovillian™

we're cut from the same cloth, no pun intended! as long as duct tape exists i'm good on shoes for a while my last hat i had for years, when it rained on it the runoff was brown. my wife finally talked me into washing it. when we pulled it out of the washer only the ribs were left, it reminded me of the piranha movies from the 80's!

with plenty of woods i bet you'll be looking for reasons to thin them out lol, you can also get the oyster mycelium started in the forest floor around hardwoods and they'll colonize any branches that fall off, before long they'll get established in there and you'll be able to find them whenever conditions are right
RootLoops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4, 2014   #93
ChrisK
Tomatovillian™

The Maple comes down tomorrow (hopefully not onto the roof...heh.) I'm going to order 500 plugs of different species for $30 from Mushroommountain. Thinking Shiitakes and oysters and maybe hen of the woods.

I've seen various methods for the logs like burying and stacking. Thoughts?

Ignorance more frequently begets knowledge: it is those who know little, and not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science. --Charles Darwin
ChrisK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5, 2014   #94
RootLoops
Tomatovillian™

shiitake logs you'll have to smack, they need a physical shock to get them going, supposedly this imitates the dead branch falling off the tree in nature. keep em shaded and watered, how you set them up is pretty much just a matter of preference, i've long wanted to build a split row fence out of inoculated logs, just for the aesthetics
Old April 5, 2014   #95
Randall
Tomatovillian™

The instructions I received with my oysters recommended a log pile formation during the incubation period to retain moisture and then either log cabin or standing on end while fruiting.
Randall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5, 2014   #96
RootLoops
Tomatovillian™

^^^what he said^^^
Old April 6, 2014   #97
epsilon
Tomatovillian™

okay so I have time to do this now.

here are the pics of the suspect mushroom and some id work. All i have to do now is find someone with a microscope to confirm the ID.

I'd like to believe with what I smelled that it could possibly be a neat edible addition to my garden. But if not I can take steps to get it out of the area because I don't want the puppies to get sick.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20140402_081928.jpg (186.1 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg 20140402_081947.jpg (204.8 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg 20140402_082028.jpg (212.2 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg 20140402_083628.jpg (182.9 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg 20140403_081903.jpg (201.9 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg 20140403_081951.jpg (330.3 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg 20140403_081957.jpg (280.5 KB, 45 views)
epsilon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6, 2014   #98
RootLoops
Tomatovillian™

Does it smell sweet? Looks like an agaricus to me I'm no Id expert though
Old April 6, 2014   #99
epsilon
Tomatovillian™

It actually smells quite good. But when it comes to gilled mushrooms like this you can never be too sure. I mean other than that it fits the description perfectly.
epsilon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6, 2014   #100
Delerium
Tomatovillian™

Oyster Mycelium looking good so far. I did the toilet paper roll oyster mycelium grow with my daughter after seeing a video on youtube - we dunked the toilet paper roll while we were cooking some substrate. And it seems to be doing the best with the solid white mycelium growing at the top. So far we have 4 x 2 gal bags with mycelium growing. Trying out different substrates to see which does better. I've been adding granular DE that we use for seed starting to the oyster mushroom substrates to control the moisture so hopefully we will learn something new.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg oyster_mycelium.jpg (106.6 KB, 34 views)
Delerium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6, 2014   #101
RootLoops
Tomatovillian™

nice!!!
Old April 8, 2014   #102
Delerium
Tomatovillian™

Okay Question to my Mushroom Guru friends.. So let's say my mushroom substrate is starting to become spent. Can i break it up and expand it on to Straw and Continue it? Would it be weaker than something i start from fresh spawn?
Old April 8, 2014   #103
RootLoops
Tomatovillian™

you can do that, but it will have a harder time taking off and probably won't be as vigorous, but it won't hurt to try, and you may get a surprise down the road out of it. or it could take right off like nothing's wrong definitely give it a shot
Old April 8, 2014   #104
Delerium
Tomatovillian™

Rootloops your mushroom Goo method worked! Mycelium is running. Can't wait to do some more with the mushrooms on the way.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mycelium.jpg (149.5 KB, 26 views)
Old April 8, 2014   #105
RootLoops
Tomatovillian™

wow that was fast! looks like you have a bit of green mold at 5 o'clock and 7 o'clock unless there is something colored green in your substrate like newspaper or something, it kinda seems too bright green for mold. if it is mold it's not a complete lost cause i've seen oysters tear through two or three kinds of mold, and some bacteria(rarely) this could just be a lighting trick too.