Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old March 26, 2011   #91
geeboss
Tomatovillian™

Sandhill Preservation Center was speedy as well mailed my request and received it in less than 8 days. US mail service had no hold ups!!

George
geeboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26, 2011   #92
Duh_Vinci
Tomatovillian™

Rosella Purple and Tasmanian Chocolate came in today, just loaded the cells. Now we wait

Regards,
D
Duh_Vinci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28, 2011   #93
bullish
Tomatovillian™

I got Rosella Purple and Tasmanian Chocolate in the mail today also! Starting them tonight!!
Old March 29, 2011   #94
HappyLittleAcreMark
Tomatovillian™

I also picked up Rosella Purple and Tasmanian Chocolate from Victory Seeds. Took a few days to ship the order (I'm sure they are swamped). Packaging and description is excellent. Can't wait to try them out!

Thanks to all working on this project!
HappyLittleAcreMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3, 2011   #95
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

The fellow that I named Dwarf Mr. Snow for is quite thrilled (he did make a few errors on my own pedigree! I may find a way to gently let him know...some NC State profs may not want me as an undeserving colleague!). Anyway...

http://www.newsobserver.com/2011/04/...-a-legacy.html
Old April 3, 2011   #96
Heritage
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by nctomatoman View Post
The fellow that I named Dwarf Mr. Snow for is quite thrilled (he did make a few errors on my own pedigree! I may find a way to gently let him know...some NC State profs may not want me as an undeserving colleague!). Anyway...

http://www.newsobserver.com/2011/04/...-a-legacy.html
Ha! A.C. Snow has a great sense of humor! It's really interesting to hear the history/personality behind the names of the dwarfs.
Heritage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4, 2011   #97
Farmette
Tomatovillian™

Has anyone heard further information on Summertime Green and Dwarf Wild Fred?
Thanks
Chris
Farmette is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 4, 2011   #98
geeboss
Tomatovillian™

Type A person here is patiently waiting cause I've found out good thing come to those who wait! Thanks Walter.....So maybe we will see something in the next two weeks. I'd like to Sow no later than 4/20/11 here in No VA. Have my fingers crossed and bought a Lotto ticket just in case I need to make a road trip to Raleigh, NC. I don't need the mega million ticket just $100 would do. We will see how all this plays out in the coming weeks ahead. At least I've got Beryl Beauty growing and Dwarf Emerald Giant for the Green Dwarfs.

George
Old April 4, 2011   #99
Farmette
Tomatovillian™

I guess I probably sound impatient too, but I don't mean to. I ordered and received Rosella Purple and Tasmanian Chocolate from Victory Seeds. They are already germinating. Also ordered Dwarf Jade Beauty and Summertime Gold from Sandhill and they arrived today. So that started me thinking about Summertime Green and Dwarf Wild Fred. This is a rather lengthy thread, but after reading it several times, it seems as if "Linda" will have them. Not sure if this means TGS or Sandhill. If anyone has information, please clarify what company I should be checking online. Again, do not mean to sound impatient...I have no plans to call and bug them, just am wondering.
Old April 4, 2011   #100
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

I am checking into things. My view is for others to not contact TGSC...let me do the snooping on this so as to not bother very busy people at a very busy time of year - I will post whatever I find out as soon as I find it out!
Old April 4, 2011   #101
Farmette
Tomatovillian™

Thanks so much Craig!
Old April 5, 2011   #102
gill_s
Tomatovillian™

Default Sandhill Preservation ordering.

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeboss View Post
Sandhill Preservation Center was speedy as well mailed my request and received it in less than 8 days. US mail service had no hold ups!!

George
Am I correct in thinking that ordering from Sandhill Preservation is only by printing off their order form and sending a cheque, cash or money order?
I could find no way of ordering online and paying by Credit Card or Paypal.
For International orders Credit Card or Paypal are really the only reasonable way.
Victory Seeds' International shipping is very expensive for only a few seeds.
Hopefully these seeds will soon be available from US suppliers who don't charge an 'arm and a leg' for International shipping!
Gill

Last edited by gill_s; April 5, 2011 at 01:15 PM. Reason: Mistake in the wording
gill_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5, 2011   #103
geeboss
Tomatovillian™

gill s

Sandhill Preservation Center Ordering is old school print out order form,fill it out and mail it in along with check or money order. However I experienced no delays and mailed my order and had my seeds in less than 8 days.

George
Old April 5, 2011   #104
gill_s
Tomatovillian™

Default Sandhill Preservation Center

Quote:
gill s

Sandhill Preservation Center Ordering is old school print out order form,fill it out and mail it in along with check or money order. However I experienced no delays and mailed my order and had my seeds in less than 8 days.

George
Thanks for your reply, George. It is as I thought. Problem is I live in the UK. No dollar cheques and International money orders make it very expensive.
Never mind I shall be hopeful for next season. If I then put together a larger order then the extra expenses, such as shipping, can be spread across more packets of seed. I shall have to rally all the UK members and make up some large orders!
Gill
gill_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5, 2011   #105
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
gill s

George
And Glenn discusses very clearly at the website and in the catalog why they don't take orders other than by mail.

Gill, their request price for sending overseas is $5 which is about the same as others as I recall, although I didn't check that out with Victory or TGS when they hopefully offer the Dwarfs mentioned, and TGS says to contact them about shipping prices outside of the US.

If you could bundle other seeds you want it would average out the additional cost at probably Sandhill and Victory, but fact is, if I send one pack of seeds to you I pay 98 cents, one pack to Canada is currently 75 cents so it does cost more to send overseas and especially is a padded mailer is used and we have talked about this before in terms of your interaction with Johnny's and the NCSU hybrids.

The good news is that I'm going to assume that many of those folks who are growing these new Dwarf varieties will be offering seeds for them this Fall.

And since it's too late for most folks to start seeding them now, especially those in the warmer zones and even up here in the tundra where seeds should be sown around April first, you probably wouldn't get them in time to use for this season anyway, gardening where you do.

Just saw your response here at home Gill, but since I ahd thois paost already done, here it goes.