Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old July 18, 2016   #901
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Not a fan of thin walled sweet peppers and for the most part like the paprika type.
Since the discovery of Chili Arbol I have just about stopped using cayenne all together.
Very few peppers have a place in my home that dont have at least some sort of heat or flavor.
Years ago the Poblano pepper replaced the bell pepper for me even though I will stuff red bells once and a while.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18, 2016   #902
efisakov
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
Not a fan of thin walled sweet peppers and for the most part like the paprika type.
Since the discovery of Chili Arbol I have just about stopped using cayenne all together.
Very few peppers have a place in my home that dont have at least some sort of heat or flavor.
Years ago the Poblano pepper replaced the bell pepper for me even though I will stuff red bells once and a while.

Worth
What do you stuff it with? Meat or something else?

God comes along and says, "I think I'm going to create THE tomato!”
efisakov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18, 2016   #903
My Foot Smells
Tomatovillian™

for some reason I have had a hard time with big block bells and poblano in year's past. I don't think they like the heat. my attempts at poblano, I got several, but never got any size like it should.

I now grow the "mini bells" and they produce like a rabbit on roids. the hybrid gypsy took the place of the pablano and a new mexico pepper which grows well.

Can you grow a big pablano in that texas heat? maybe I am doing something wrong?
My Foot Smells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18, 2016   #904
jillian
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post

Worth
Thanks for recommending de arbol, I love that pepper. Only grew one plant but it has really produced. Love the fresno's as well.

Have you tried padron? They are great producers and delicious roasted/grilled with olive oil and sea salt. About 2 out of a dozen are quite hot.
jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18, 2016   #905
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Bells are one crop for which I am convinced hybrid seed is far superior. They like a lot of moisture, more than tomatoes. Two years ago, I had a nice crop of peppers and was finally able to grow colored bell peppers that looked like grocery store material. But everyone else at market had peppers, too, so they didn't sell.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18, 2016   #906
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I will try to answer everyone.

I stuff peppers with meat and cheese of some sort.
I despise rice stuffed peppers to no end.
To me rice is a cheap filler and that is all it is.

No luck but one time with pablano and not at this place but the other place I lived about 6 miles from here in sandy loam.
Last year would have been great but the wet weather took me out again.
Lets look at the pepper and where it came from.
The Puebla region of Mexico.
Puebla City itself is around 7,000 feet elevation.
So many movies have portrayed Mexico as a flat desert and it simply isn't that way.

Never tried padron.
And I dont grow arbols as they are almost free here in the dried form.

I gave up on bell peppers I have tried them all.

Worth
Old July 18, 2016   #907
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Cole, the one hybrid bell I grew, Penot Noir - did grow full size bell peppers that had a much better taste than I expected. I think I'll try some other hybrids too.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18, 2016   #908
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Early Sunsation is my pick for best yellow bell. I haven't picked out a full size orange bell that I like yet. The lunch box peppers from Johnny's are quite good.
Old July 18, 2016   #909
Rajun Gardener
Tomatovillian™

I never get great results from bells so i plant about 30 plants and take what they give me, I use it in cooking so I chop and freeze it. This year I grew some hatch peppers and it will be the bell replacement from now on. They're still flowering and putting out some peppers big enough to stuff. I also grew another big hot chille that was given to me and I don't know what it is but it's as hot a jalapeno.

The peppers on the right are the hot chillies
Rajun Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18, 2016   #910
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Cherry Moon is a great pepper. I want to grow a lot of these next year:
http://i.imgur.com/ZyDAl4H.jpg
Old July 18, 2016   #911
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I never will forget my old friend Green Eyes.
He stopped by to have a drink with me in the yard and took one of my hot banana peepers I was growing from a plant.
Be careful they are pretty hot.
#$%#@ you dont know what hot is who ever heard of a hot banana pepper you must be a sissy.
All in good fun because this is the way we talked to each other.
He smoked a pipe and he had his beer in his hand.
To prove to me the pepper wasn't hot and I was a sissy he gobbled the whole thing up in one big bite.
About 15 seconds later all of the fire and tobacco came blowing up out of his pipe like a volcano and his eye bulged out like a frogs.
Then his nose started running and he couldn't catch his breath.
Then Fat Dog and Snake came by later and we pulled the same stunt on them.

We had a lot of fun with those hot banana peppers that year.

Worth
Old July 18, 2016   #912
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Look at Samuel L. Jackson in the movie Black Snake Moan and you have Green Eyes after he ate that pepper.
Old July 18, 2016   #913
dmforcier
Tomatovillian™

Seed then chop Lemon Drop into guacamole. Works great with the citrus juice!

Stupidity got us into this mess. Why can't it get us out?
- Will Rogers

dmforcier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18, 2016   #914
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Thinking of peppers, being that it is already July - there should be some sites having sales on pepper seeds about now. Yesterday, I noticed Park seed has some on sale.

I'm going to look after our PS4 finishes the 2.444 GB download. It really slows the internet down.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18, 2016   #915
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajun Gardener View Post
I never get great results from bells so i plant about 30 plants and take what they give me, I use it in cooking so I chop and freeze it. This year I grew some hatch peppers and it will be the bell replacement from now on. They're still flowering and putting out some peppers big enough to stuff. I also grew another big hot chille that was given to me and I don't know what it is but it's as hot a jalapeno.

The peppers on the right are the hot chillies
Ok, curious - what kind of Hatch chili's are those? I thought Hatch was the location and only chili's grown in Hatch, New Mexico could be Hatch chilis? Still learning here... :-) They look yummy!

I wonder if my NuMex Big Jim peppers will be like those. I am totally wanting to grow some spicy big stuffing peppers (not bells).

Ginny
Fiishergurl is offline   Reply With Quote