Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion about canning and dehydrating tomatoes and other garden vegetables and fruits. DISCLAIMER: SOME RECIPES MAY NOT COMPLY WITH CURRENT FOOD SAFETY GUIDELINES - FOLLOW AT YOUR OWN RISK

Old August 22, 2015   #76
Durgan
Tomatovillian™

I would like a pressure of say 16 PSI ro be able to use these readily available temperature sensors. Fifteen PSI is just on the dividing line.

http://www.durgan.org/URL/?HUCFP 21 September 2014 Diack Temperature Sensor
This sensor available off the internet is used to ascertain that the temperature of the jars reach 121 C when Pressure Canning. The substance inside the glass melts when the temperature reaches 121C. A string is attached to facilitate removal from the jar after pressure canning. At 121 C all bacteria and toxins are destroyed, assuming all the material in the jar reaches this temperature.
Durgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22, 2015   #77
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durgan View Post
I would like a pressure of say 16 PSI ro be able to use these readily available temperature sensors. Fifteen PSI is just on the dividing line.

This sensor available off the internet is used to ascertain that the temperature of the jars reach 121 C when Pressure Canning. The substance inside the glass melts when the temperature reaches 121C. A string is attached to facilitate removal from the jar after pressure canning. At 121 C all bacteria and toxins are destroyed, assuming all the material in the jar reaches this temperature.
You will have a PM soon.
I'm doing some research.
My canner doesn't have a safety plug like modern ones.
I have no idea at what temperature or pressure modern plugs will blow.

When I was a kid I used to fill the old heavy metal brake fluid cans about 1/3 way full with water.
I would then toss them in a brush fire and get back about 50 yards.
The explosion was a sight to be seen.

Worth

Last edited by Worth1; August 22, 2015 at 07:19 PM.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22, 2015   #78
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

Hey Worth. It isn't 15 lbs. You are absolutely correct. I guess I was thinking about making wild game juice and got my brain mixed up with all of Durgans shenanigans.

I'll do better next time.
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

ContainerTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23, 2015   #79
Nematode
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durgan View Post

15 psi will give a temp of 120.95
Nematode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23, 2015   #80
roper2008
Tomatovillian™

I don't know how many years ago I bought this. It's in my garage collecting dust. I'm
afraid to use it.

roper2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23, 2015   #81
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

OHHHH! Jealous alert! read the instructions, but don't be too afraid of it and try it out. The nicest feature is that the lid clamps down with bolts...it doesn't twist on like all the rest. You can't blow the top off, only the safety plug blows out, but even that would be hard to do as the weight is the round 5/10/15# weight that just sits on the stem... That is the nicest canner I have used. You got a gem.
Old August 23, 2015   #82
roper2008
Tomatovillian™

I know I need to try it someday. I checked Amazon and it showed that I bought it
in 2008.
roper2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23, 2015   #83
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by roper2008 View Post
I don't know how many years ago I bought this. It's in my garage collecting dust. I'm
afraid to use it.

Wanna sell it?
But by all means dont be afraid to use it.
It is NOT going to blow up it is by far the very best and strongest canner on the market today and made in the USA.
You could leave every other one the locking lugs off and it would still hold pressure that is how good these things are.
You simply cannot get a better canner the other manufacturers that made canners like this are bought out or out of business.

Worth
Old August 23, 2015   #84
coronabarb
Tomatoville® Recipe Keeper

roper,

VSU has a great extension service. You can contact them about getting your pressure canner inspected and the gauge tested for free. They can answer any questions and address concerns about using it.

http://offices.ext.vt.edu/fairfax/pr...rTestInfo.html
Old August 23, 2015   #85
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Note to self when I become dictator.
Every child boy or girl has to have 4 years of comprehensive home economics before graduating high school.
This would include all aspects of preserving food.
I myself took 4 years of general business 4 years of FFA and 2 years of business law.

Worth
Old August 23, 2015   #86
PhilaGardener
Tomatovillian™

Don't forget the requirement to turn in samples for, uh, testing.
PhilaGardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23, 2015   #87
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilaGardener View Post
Don't forget the requirement to turn in samples for, uh, testing.
Food samples yes.

In the grocery store there is a disproportionate number of older folks shopping.
Kids with parents dont count.
Another thing that is sad is when I grew up in a small town you had a choice of were to buy a good canner.
Now there is only two places in town and then only a small presto.
You really dont know how much things have changed until you start looking for something.
I asked the folks at the store including the butcher where they kept the butchers twine.
They had no idea what I was talking about and said they didn't have any.
I found it just the other day in that same store.
I simply cannot be without butchers twine.
Worth
Old August 23, 2015   #88
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

A couple of years ago, I took a bunch of seedlings down to the flea market and paid my $3.00 for a space to sell them. I put up a sign advertising "Heirloom Tomatoes - the ones your parents used to love." Due to the competition around me, I quickly lowered my prices to 50 cents per plant. this meaning that folks would rather pay 50 cents for a hybrid than a dollar for something that tasted good.

What took me aback a bit was that several people came up and asked me what "heirloom tomatoes" were. What color are they and do they taste different from the ones in the stores? I had to do a lot of "explaining", but then the word got out and I was doing a lot of selling.

Yesterday, I was in the local IGA food store and had someone come up and ask me if I still grew those "heirloom" tomatoes. I said yes and then they said, "Do you have to do anything special before you eat them?" Again, I had to do a lot of "explaining.

When I went to buy my first pressure canner, I went to every store in town, including the local Co-op to do comparison shopping. Waste of time. The only place that had one was the local Ace Hardware which had a Presto 16 Quart that had been on the shelves for 3 years. Yes, I bought it.

My point is this. Main stream America doesn't have the faintest clue of how to put up canned goods. They have been "fast food fed" for too long. They figure that if they have a five dollar bill in their wallet or purse, they have their next meal at one of the fast food places. I pray each day that we don't have a war or an outbreak of anarchy to disturb their world. If so, we'll find them at our doorstep begging for something to eat - maybe getting hostile about it. Threads like this one should be required study in every school for every student, and a rigid passing test must be completed before they are allowed to advance.

It's no wonder that many of us are packing to protect our food supplies. I'm not a paranoid prepper, but, sometimes, it's not hard see their point.
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

ContainerTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23, 2015   #89
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ContainerTed View Post
A couple of years ago, I took a bunch of seedlings down to the flea market and paid my $3.00 for a space to sell them. I put up a sign advertising "Heirloom Tomatoes - the ones your parents used to love." Due to the competition around me, I quickly lowered my prices to 50 cents per plant. this meaning that folks would rather pay 50 cents for a hybrid than a dollar for something that tasted good.

What took me aback a bit was that several people came up and asked me what "heirloom tomatoes" were. What color are they and do they taste different from the ones in the stores? I had to do a lot of "explaining", but then the word got out and I was doing a lot of selling.

Yesterday, I was in the local IGA food store and had someone come up and ask me if I still grew those "heirloom" tomatoes. I said yes and then they said, "Do you have to do anything special before you eat them?" Again, I had to do a lot of "explaining.

When I went to buy my first pressure canner, I went to every store in town, including the local Co-op to do comparison shopping. Waste of time. The only place that had one was the local Ace Hardware which had a Presto 16 Quart that had been on the shelves for 3 years. Yes, I bought it.

My point is this. Main stream America doesn't have the faintest clue of how to put up canned goods. They have been "fast food fed" for too long. They figure that if they have a five dollar bill in their wallet or purse, they have their next meal at one of the fast food places. I pray each day that we don't have a war or an outbreak of anarchy to disturb their world. If so, we'll find them at our doorstep begging for something to eat - maybe getting hostile about it. Threads like this one should be required study in every school for every student, and a rigid passing test must be completed before they are allowed to advance.

It's no wonder that many of us are packing to protect our food supplies. I'm not a paranoid prepper, but, sometimes, it's not hard see their point.
I am quoting this because I want people to read every word of it.

But sometimes I feel our people are in need of what I call a reset.
Many of the so called preppers are laughable, at least they are to me.
They have their heart in the right place but I can tell that some of them are clueless.
We can thank this on BS internet web sights and forums,'yes forums.
With forums even if you aren't a member you can get a thousand answers to a question.
Many of the answers are wrong.
It is human nature to use the answer they want to hear not the right one.
Yesterday I went on a fruitless journey looking for the pressure and or temperature it took to blow the over pressure plug on a canner.
Some of the older canners have a metal plug this plug will melt and blow at a certain temperature.

Worth
Old August 23, 2015   #90
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I very boring read but explains so much.
Worth
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...hSL_K8eeINkoOw