Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old October 10, 2014   #76
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

Ginny, I have experimented with drip irrigation a lot and use it when I don't have rain water; The Mister Landscaper products sold at Lowes are EXCELLENT.

My neighbor always use to water for me when I went on vacation; but over Memorial day, at the last minute she went on vacation also; Not knowing anything and only able to buy locally, I went with soaker hoses and the flat soaker hoses. I brought everything I could into my porch and bought this from Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
(stacked a couple of drippers per EB, but this most recent trip just used it on seedlings). Will probably just use it for my worm Inns from now on.

I had no idea how long to water with the soaker hoses, so I left them on for 45 minutes per zone. I bought the Obit timer with 3 zones; (I LOVE the timer). My water bill that month was outrageous.

When I came home, I bought this kit from HD:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/DIG-Drip-...77AS/100120911
(I ordered it an had it shipped to the store so I wouldn't have to pay shipping)

and this one from Lowes:

http://www.lowes.com/pd_71218-1029-MLK-81_0__?productId=1256539&Ntt=mister+landscaper&pl= 1&currentURL=%3FNtt%3Dmister%2Blandscaper&facetInf o=

(this kit is used in the raised beds; it is excellent and have gone back and bought more products from M.L. (they are located in the plumbing dept)

I went with the kits first because I wanted to get the faucet/hose connections right.

I have purchased various drippers from Amazon which aren't very good. The drippers from DIG are pretty good but the sprays are crap; I love the adjustable drippers / sprayers from Mr Landscaper.

Nancy - I bought a couple of drip stuff from GHM but haven't tried them yet.

Last edited by Barb_FL; October 10, 2014 at 10:58 AM.
Barb_FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12, 2014   #77
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

Cool thanks for all the links!! I will have to look into those.

Ginny
Fiishergurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12, 2014   #78
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

A few more pictures...

lettuce - first time growing lettuce. Its doing really well so far. Going to try some tonight.

My neighbor gave this to me a couple of days ago. She made it from cuttings. It will eventually drape down.... :-)

Last edited by Fiishergurl; October 12, 2014 at 01:32 PM.
Old October 12, 2014   #79
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

Your lettuce is doing great; Lettuce is easy to grow, but not when it is hot; so you have full fledge tomatoes and lettuce and it is HOT outside. Excellent!

The flowers are beautiful also.
Old October 15, 2014   #80
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

Tomatoes are growing!

Cherokee Tiger Black Dwarf has doubled in size since transplanting. It is now 2 inches across. The smaller one didnt make it.

This is it about a week ago.
Old October 15, 2014   #81
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

SWC when it was planted 9/14.

SWC 10/12 - the swc on the right (the taller plants) is the same one pictured above.

Sungolds already starting to ripen. How did that happen so fast?

Ginny

Last edited by Fiishergurl; October 15, 2014 at 04:40 PM.
Old October 15, 2014   #82
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

Excellent; I can't believe you have almost ripe fruit; I have tons of flowers on my Sun Gold beast. Tonight the temp is suppose to drop for a few nights; yes, it could be the catalyst to get fruit set.

I'm glad your plant recovered from transplanting; it looks so much healthier.
Old October 18, 2014   #83
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

Cherokee Tiger Black Dwarf is much happier now. I must have been starving it in the solo cup.

Barb are your plants starting to set fruit?

Ginny
Old October 18, 2014   #84
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

Glad to see the CTBD is doing so much better;

I have tomatoes on the SunGold, Matts Wild Cherry, and some on random cherry plant cuttings. Nothing on any of my black Cherries or the bigger fruit (Kelloggs, KBX) but they had such a hard time getting started so are stunted in growth).

The Matts Wild Cherry is such a beast now; When it was a tike, a huge storm came in and the shading broke it's stem; I supported it and thought if it lived, it would get its own box; well it did live and so it has it's own box; but is so huge it is draping into the other box that has 2 plants in it. I hope they taste good; both seedlings lived and even the one that went into a root pouch is doing well with toms; but is not so beasty.

My marglobe cuttings are huge and have the pre-flowers; same as the marglobe I planted from seed. Blows all the others away in size; last year I had so many toms from the one plant that I made sauce with it. My sungold and one of the black cherries has a cutting in it because the plants grew too big that when I put a seedling in it it died b/c of too much sun. So I did the cutting thing.

My original 4 plants from the winter all have flowers with the porter having the most. I had been planning on using those earth boxes for all my other seedlings that need to get planted.
For now, they all have stays of execution.

My experiment with the troughs is going well; I put either porter or marglobe cuttings in the first and they have taken off. I'm using 2 more troughs and put a cutting from the sun gold in it along with a couple of romaine lettuces. (that cutting had flowers on it when it broke off) and now has a bunch more. (I'm inspired to do this b/c of AKMark growing those toms in a tiny cup and < 1 gallon container).

Did you ever think of just using cuttings from your favorite plants? and maybe just grow from seed when you want to try new varieties.

Ginny - I thought of you last weekend when DH and I went Kayaking in 1000 islands (Cocoa Beach); doing the real FL thing; we are going again tomorrow; Some people were fishing from their kayaks.

Last edited by Barb_FL; October 18, 2014 at 07:41 PM.
Old October 21, 2014   #85
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

Ginny - I did the electric toothbrush on the flowering plants. Didn't knock off any of the flowers. The SG and MWC have lots of toms already so no need there.

Can you give me a link to the mycos?

Over the weekend, I planted the cauliflower in the raised beds; need to keep them more productive.

Snails seem to be at bay; only finding a few everyday now.

What is every one growing? How is it going?
Old October 21, 2014   #86
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

Hi Barb,

I really think the buzzing helps when the humidity is high. But when its soggy (raining) and too hot, nothing helps. Now that it is cooling off the ugly ripe (which I think is Florida bred) is dropping blossoms anf it was setting tomatoes like crazy before, but the plants that I'm more excited about (pbtd, indian stripe, Kelloggs, etc ) are all setting more fruit with the cooler weather.

Here is the link to Mykos:
http://xtreme-gardening.mybigcommerce.com/cart.php?suggest=54469fbaf4025

Here are some pictures from today..

Girl Girls Weird Thing... so pretty... :-)

Lettuce - we arent eating it fast enough!

Juane Flamme - the most productive of the fall season so far. Probably has 75 tomators on it and at least 100 blossoms.

Purple Bumblebee

Lots of others too but gotta get back to work.

Ginny

Last edited by Fiishergurl; October 21, 2014 at 03:36 PM.
Old October 21, 2014   #87
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

Love the pics - keep them coming. Did you get any to eat yet? Glad to hear that Kelloggs have set fruit. My Kelloggs are looking a little better but still small; they just must HATE the hot humid weather.

Thanks for the link- their shipping is expensive $13ish; but it can be bought for slightly less on Amazon with free shipping. I haven't found Amazon all that cheap anymore.
Old October 21, 2014   #88
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

Only sungold, bloody butcher and a maskotka tumbler volunteer from last year. Plus a few black cherries that i picked green from the plants i tossed. I was surprised the greenies ripened and tasted good. But not much yet. Hoping the Stupice and Juane Flamme taste good as I think they will ripen next... :-)
Old October 24, 2014   #89
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

I found a couple of Sungolds turning color; can't wait to see what they taste like.

This is weird - but last spring I had a random cherry plant; it shared my homemade swc with an orange tomato - possibly Kellogg (wasn't suppose to be) maybe my seed got into the wrong tray. Anyway, the cherries were really sweat but small. I ended up taking a bunch of cutting from it, and the plants are just in root pouches, but their tomatoes are definitely larger than the mom plant.

Ginny - I'm getting mykos delivered tomorrow (Saturday). I've held off much needed transplanting. On a sadder note, all my purple bubblebees died; the healthiest is on its' deathbed; I'm pretty sure from caterpillars although the damage was already done; I found small caterpillars on other plants.

Pics: Dwarf Poinciana - not related to Red Royal; flowered < 1 year and after it flowered, it creates the seed pods (2nd pic).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20141013_152213 (515x1024).jpg (143.7 KB, 68 views)
File Type: jpg 20141013_152223 (854x1024).jpg (182.0 KB, 68 views)
Old October 27, 2014   #90
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb_FL View Post
I found a couple of Sungolds turning color; can't wait to see what they taste like.

This is weird - but last spring I had a random cherry plant; it shared my homemade swc with an orange tomato - possibly Kellogg (wasn't suppose to be) maybe my seed got into the wrong tray. Anyway, the cherries were really sweat but small. I ended up taking a bunch of cutting from it, and the plants are just in root pouches, but their tomatoes are definitely larger than the mom plant.

Ginny - I'm getting mykos delivered tomorrow (Saturday). I've held off much needed transplanting. On a sadder note, all my purple bubblebees died; the healthiest is on its' deathbed; I'm pretty sure from caterpillars although the damage was already done; I found small caterpillars on other plants.

Pics: Dwarf Poinciana - not related to Red Royal; flowered < 1 year and after it flowered, it creates the seed pods (2nd pic).
Barb, those are so beautiful!! Did you get to try the Sungolds yet? Someone on here said they are best when they tuen the Burnt orange color of the University of Texas school colors.

Will be curious to see if you think the Mykos helps. I know the buzzing helps because when I dont do it for a few days I get dropped blossoms a few days later. I really think its our humidity.

Ginny