Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old January 22, 2014   #76
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

hi again, still looking for information about "baby beefsteak" searching just seems to always bring up the generic "beefsteak".
Thanks,
KarenO
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22, 2014   #77
bower
Tomatovillian™

Default Red Dwarf

I have a question about a variety called "Red Dwarf". I found two descriptions, so I'm wondering if the donor of these seeds can tell us which it is.

Red Dwarf (Romanian) is described as pear shaped red fruit(PlantWorldSeeds), while Red Dwarf aka Roter Zwerg is a red round salad type (TTB). Neither variety seems to be widely circulated in North America.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22, 2014   #78
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

I guess there's one huge advantage to getting swap packages in the middle of winter--it gives us plenty of time to decide what to grow, then change our minds at least six times before we actually have to start seeds.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22, 2014   #79
roper2008
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Father'sDaughter View Post
Carmello - if the person who sent these see's this post, can you please let me know if these are saved seeds from the de-hybridized Carmello (from Tomatofest), or if they are commercial F1 seeds?

Nighthawk - still looking for something about this one.

I don't know much about Nighthawk, but I was told it is a segregation in the Darth
tomato line. I have seed for it but have never grown it out. It will be a long time
before I do, as I have too many to grow before it. Here are some pics...

http://i1103.photobucket.com/albums/...k/102_4991.jpg

http://i1103.photobucket.com/albums/...k/102_5051.jpg
roper2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24, 2014   #80
tlintx
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Father'sDaughter View Post
I guess there's one huge advantage to getting swap packages in the middle of winter--it gives us plenty of time to decide what to grow, then change our minds at least six times before we actually have to start seeds.
Hah, I was supposed to start seeds a week or two ago but I've been having a lot of trouble getting started -- narrowing this list down is insanely hard. I finally got it to "only slightly nuts" and then realized I hadn't included the ~50 or so I already labeled and prepped out of my own stash.

Does anyone know anything about "Dragoeva" (possibly "Drageova") by any chance?
tlintx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24, 2014   #81
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlintx View Post
Hah, I was supposed to start seeds a week or two ago but I've been having a lot of trouble getting started -- narrowing this list down is insanely hard. I finally got it to "only slightly nuts" and then realized I hadn't included the ~50 or so I already labeled and prepped out of my own stash.

Does anyone know anything about "Dragoeva" (possibly "Drageova") by any chance?
It's Dragoevo and I offered it in my last year's seed offer, seeds from Steve ( Double Helix)

I deleted it from this year's offer b'c several had low germination with the seeds that were produced for me.

It's also listed at Tania's website and here's a thread where it's discussed and pictures shown, for those who did get OK germination

http://tomatoville.com/search.php?searchid=1556147

For anyone looking for a variety I can tell you what I do. First I go to Tania's site to see if she has a page for it, then I do a search here, which is how I easily found the thread about Dragoevo, then I go to Google, then I go to my SSE Yearbooks, then I go to Ventmarin in France, or Tomodori, also in France, those two are info only, then as a last gasp I have the French and German Google links that were given here at Tville.

If all fails I go to the LR, turn on some music and eat some dark bittersweet chocolate.

Carolyn, and you should also find pictures and a blurb at the Double Helix site.
Old January 24, 2014   #82
tlintx
Tomatovillian™

I knew it sounded familiar from somewhere on here, but I didn't think to try a different last letter! Thanks!
tlintx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24, 2014   #83
socalgardengal
Tomatovillian™

I am overwelmed!!!! I've been looking up everything I received and I'm just growing red slicers this year, a few cherries for my daughter and the 4 that Gary suggested I grow out for next years swap. Last year I joined the swap on GW and Gary mentioned TV, so of course I was curious and joined. What a great bunch of folks you all are! THANKS GARY FOR STARTING MY TOMATO ADDICTION
socalgardengal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25, 2014   #84
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

I'm just the bubble mailing enabler.

The thers gave the seeds.
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25, 2014   #85
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

Oh don't be so modest Gary. We all know that you put a lot of heart and effort into distributing all those wonderful varieties to us all, and it is very much appreciated, even if we are all overwhelmed and spending every waking minute researching all the amazing varieties that you sent us.

Thanks a million .

Linda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tormato View Post
I'm just the bubble mailing enabler.

The thers gave the seeds.
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25, 2014   #86
bower
Tomatovillian™

The project of organizing the seeds you sent me alone is mind bending. I just can't figure out how you managed to do that for all of us...
Seriously, I can't help wondering... do you wear a cape?
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27, 2014   #87
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by bower View Post
The project of organizing the seeds you sent me alone is mind bending. I just can't figure out how you managed to do that for all of us...
Seriously, I can't help wondering... do you wear a cape?
Well, 95% of the project went very smoothly. Winding down this last 5% has been mostly a Krptonite-mare (Gardenweb routed email related).
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10, 2014   #88
RobinB
Tomatovillian™

Well, I've been preoccupied due to a death in the family. I did have one question... I got one packet that had "Purple Haze" written on the envelope, but no other information. As I understand it, F1 seeds are not to be found anywhere. Does anybody know (Gary?) where these came from? There is not any indication as to the sender. Perhaps they are somebody's attempt at a growout?

Thanks, Robin
RobinB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10, 2014   #89
kygreg
Tomatovillian™

There is a current thread on this variety here at Tomatoville.
kygreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10, 2014   #90
RobinB
Tomatovillian™

kygreg,
I know, I saw that thread and that's what reminded me that I needed to ask my question. I know what Purple Haze is, (although I learned quite a bit more from that thread) but, knowing how hard the seeds are to come by, I want to know if somebody actually sent me some F1s? That would be fantastic, but...?
RobinB is offline   Reply With Quote